Sega Rally 3 Rebuild/repair.

penrhos

Feedback
19 (100%)
Credits
577CR
Part I

My progress on cleaning, fixing and rebuilding the Sega Rally 3 I picked up from Williams amusements...

I'd got an ID project cab but I've always fancied an LCD driver - then "Breakfastclub68" put a partially stripped one up on ebay for £275 BIN or offers.

I asked if they could confirm if the screen worked or if any of the pcb's were still in the base - All I got back was "Dunno - that's how it arrived to us" so I made an offer of £150, it was declined....

The auction looped round a few times with no bids and then it was listed with a £95 start price but still no extra pictures to show what was inside.

So I went over the pictures with a fine tooth-comb looking at was obviously missing and having to deduce what might have been removed.

1) Top right indicator panel.

2) Marquee (not bothered too much about that).

3) button on dash - alarm bells ring at this point, they've had the dash off is the force-feedback still there.

4) Bolts holding the dash in place.

5) Game PCB & PSU

What i did spot is the number of loose wires in the base roughly matched what would plug into the game PCB and PSU so hopefully the 8 pcb's that are under the foot plate were still there.

So worst case I could transplant the looms and dash from the ID cab into this one and I would be buying a monitor stand & seat.

I left it until the last couple of minutes and dropped a bid of £125 on it and won for the opening bid of £95 - then I found out it was to be collected from the Williams unit
smiley13.gif
(it's going to be a shed), made a quick call to Martin and result he was in the area so he picked it up and dropped it off a few days later while the wife was away on business.

So here's were the real work begins...

Measured it and it was 4" too wide to fit through the door into my games room - so job number one, remove the monitor and marquee so it'll fit through the door.

after a bit of head scratching as when I removed the nuts holding the LCD panel case in place it wouldn't come off I resorted to undoing the bolts that connected the marquee to the rear red poles and undid the four bolts that held the top of the dash on - result the whole top bit comes off!

After a bit of cab Tetris to get it into the workshop/games side of the garage I'm ready to check what's there give it a quick clean and re-assemble what I can.

I'm basically going to check what's there give it a quick clean and re-assemble what I can.

First up the PCB tray under the pedals.

DSC05037_Medium.JPG

Looks promising - no loose wires and everything seems to be there, I'll need to get a brush & hoover on it.

1) Feedback motor controller - looks like a standard Happ 270 FFB PCB

2) Stereo amp - standard Sega 2-channel amp, no sub-woofer output

3) Sega i/o board - Hmmm that's not JVS, on closer inspection its a USB i/o PCB (Sega version of an A-Pac)

4) Power supplies - All present and correct, Amp, FFB & I/O PSU's

5) Cables to Europa-R PC - USB for pedals/wheel/handbrake/buttons, VGA for screen, 2.5mm jackplug for audio & Printer port lead for FFB

So Everything's there apart from the Europa-R PC, PSU & rear cooling fan.

Turing my attention to the outside of the cab there's some obvious bits missing, and the rear door on the screen mount was bent & hanging off so that set alarm bells ringing.

DSC05035_Medium.JPG

DSC05038_Medium.JPG

DSC05040_Medium.JPG

DSC05107_Medium.JPG

After a good 3-4 hours cleaning the crap out of the cab and checking there were no loose nuts/bolts/washers inside and that it was earthed, correct voltage, fused & electrically safe I reassembled the main body of the cab (minus some trim - see later).

DSC05110_Medium.JPG

Missing bits so far:-

1) Right light cover

2) Marquee

3) Power supply for the 32" screen

4) Europa-R PC

Lets fix the easiest bit (and more importantly find out if the screen works).

According to the manual the missing PSU is a 400-150-024-01 which is a "SW regu LPP-150-24" and is 24VDC output. I assume the 150 is 150W so it's a 24V @ 6.25A PSU.

I purchased a MW T-180-24 from eBay and made an adapter so it'd fit the existing loom.

Fired the screen up and fed it a test signal and it worked first time.

DSC05104_Medium.JPG

DSC05095_Medium.JPG

DSC05097_Medium.JPG

Not the best of tests - but it works, downside is when I used my laptop the panel only goes up to 720P.

Current shopping list.

To do list:-
Repair both side-pods and re-fit.

Straighten the rear door for the LCD control cover and refit.

Find my spare VTS PCB and make a loom so it'll work with the plugs hanging out the side.

The 240V fan from the base is missing - I think I have one spare somewhere.

Replace the ballast unit and FL tube for marquee or replace it with an LED tube fitting.

Remove, clean and refit the seat assembly.

Source SRS 1330UK (right top light assembly).
Source 838-0011UK (one LED plate - or replace 4 LED's that are snapped off it).

Source SRS-1302UK (Cover CCFL compartment).

Build a "Clone" of the Europa-R PC.

As you can't do much without a VTS PCB (even the speakers don't work) the next Job is to wire one up. This is where I struck it lucky - I had a single VTS PCB, I don't even know where I got it from but I had one in the bits box, then...Bummer

The VTS PCB wiring looms were missing, and nothing I had would fit the plugs in the cab. So delve into the bits box for some connectors that would fit and a bit of googlefoo.....

DSC05115_Medium.JPG

DSC05116_Medium.JPG

I downloaded the Sega Rally 3 manual and skipped to the schematic at the end.

VTS.JPG

Which I've compared to the pin out from AO (Initial D VTS PCB).

VTS 18-pin

3 Vol C - VCC

4 Vol C - VOL

5 Vol C - GND

6 Demag

7 Demag

8 Test

9 Service

10 GND

13 VOL B - VCC

14 VOL B - VOL

15 VOL B - GND

16 VOL A - VCC

17 VOL A - VOL

18 VOL A - GND

VTS 15-pin

4 VOL A - GND

9 VOL A - VCC

10 TEST

14 VOL A - VOL

15 Service

VTS 9-pin

1 GND

2 VOL B - VOL

3 VOL C - VOL

4 VOL B - GND

5 VOL C - GND

6 GND

7 VOL B - VCC

8 VOL C - VCC

9 +12V

So my adapter needs to be wired:-

Cab 4-pin goes to 18-pin only.

1-1

2-13

3-8

4-14

Cab 9-pin goes to the two other connectors.

9-pin.

4-1

8-6

9-9

15-pin.

1-9

2-4

3-14

5-10

6-15

7-5

Plug it all together and hopefully it'll work.

DSC05119_Medium.JPG

DSC05132_Medium.JPG

DSC05133_Medium.JPG

DSC05135_Medium.JPG

DSC05137_Medium.JPG

So what happens when I power it up?

Not a lot... Which is good, the power in the garage stayed on (always a good sign) and there was no puff of smoke, smell of burning or any other signs of woe. As I didn't have anything to drive the screen plugged in it remained blank, the FL tube in the marquee flickered but wouldn't light, tried another tube & starter - still nothing so it's probably dead, I can replace it with an LED one later....

So out came the trust old iPod mini, plugged the 2.5mm stereo plug in and pressed play - very quite music started playing, turned the pot on the VTS PCB for volume #1 and it got louder - Yes, my loom works and the amp does too. Just the i/o & FFB to test.

Gave the dash a good clean and refitted it (the Credit button was missing so I took the dremmel to an old starpoint button and trimmed the lugs so they would fit the small spade terminals on the loom.

DSC05036_Medium.JPG

So this is as far as I'd got on J+

---------

Europa-R PC Specs.

intel DG33BU Motherboard

Pentium E8600 dual core 3.4ghz cpu

8Gb ram

Nvidia 8800 (or 9800, GT640, GTS450)

MP9835L dual serial port with parallel cable

Case with 400W PSU that'll fit inside the base of the SR3

120-250Gb Sata HDD

penrhos2018-06-05 18:40:41

penrhos

Feedback
19 (100%)
Credits
577CR
Part II

Noticed another bit missing - there should be a metal plate covering this hole. And the Light unit too (Both NLA from Sega parts).

DSC05106_Medium.JPG

This was about the time Sega support dropped a massive clanger by releasing Daytona USA 3 to the public on Dropbox.

I got the Download the day it was announced and was playing around trying to get it working and found a thread (since deleted) on BYOAC where people were hacking the exe.

As I had a PC the correct spec I thought I'd have a play, I followed the tutorial on how the edit out the dongle protection and what you needed in the ini files to get it running.

The PC wouldn't fit in the base of the SR3 so I poked the VGA, USB, Printer & Audio leads out the hole where the coin tower connects to the base and stood the PC next to the cab.

I didn't expect much but - running the setup program displayed exactly what you'd expect and I could calibrate the wheel, pedals and test the buttons, more than that the lamp tests made the correct lamps light on the dash & the headlights flash. The VTS PCB could interface back to the setup program too so I was finally happy that the io PCB was working.

So launching the game - this was a bit more problematic - DUSA3 expects a 1080P display and a decent DX11 video card - I had neither, however with some of the later hacks I was able to get the game running on the cab (but no FFB).

I was just getting somewhere and the entire thread was deleted from BYOAC (perhaps they got a "take down" from Sega, perhaps the mods thought the topic was too hot) - either way the thread was gone and all the info & launchers too. Fortunately I had hard copies of the dongle hack and the ini files so I can rebuild the PC if needed.

Cosmetically - One side pod I've repaired the other needs some serious fixing, the missing metal plate is annoying but I'll get around to making one up at some point and I haven't a clue how to get a replacement light cover for the top right corner.

So information I need:-

Anyone got the measurements and a picture of the missing metal plate that fits above the "Race Leader" light?

Anyone got a image file of an original SR3 HDD (I have the Technoparrot files but the config programs are missing from folder structure)?

Anyone got a high res scan of the SR3 single player marquee so I can get Muddy to make one for me?

Anyone able to help get the FFB working?

sega-rally-3-sr3-video-arcade-game-sega.jpg

penrhos

Feedback
19 (100%)
Credits
577CR
dragon42 said:
Hello friend.
This topic is old,but I have a genuine Sega rally 3 HDD.If you want some files tell me.

I could do with a "Clone" of the drive to compare with the Technoparrot files.

After a long break I'm restarting this project - first step is to replace the 720P Sega screen with a 32" FullHD touchscreen monitor which I'll be attempting in the next week or so...

I've also got a PC with Daytona 3 USA running to play with.

Ninja master

Credits
29CR
I just dont seem to get any output from the pcs, even though theyre powering up. Happy to provide any parts, info or pics if anyone has any direction on this.

penrhos

Feedback
19 (100%)
Credits
577CR
If the pc is dead - could you post it to me so I can pull it apart, attempt to fix it & reverse engineer what I need to get mine working?

If I can get it going I'll send it back...

Ninja master

Credits
29CR
Certainly, can do. Ive literally just moved my arcade to a new venue, and the two rpj screen boxes (the deluxe sr3s have all the pcbs and europa-r boards in them) are buried away in my workshop, so maybe a week or two, but sure, pm me the postal addy :)

Hopefully these will work again, seems such a waste if not, and apparently near impossible to get to to work with any other drivers :(

penrhos

Feedback
19 (100%)
Credits
577CR
Been sitting on this for far too long - Going to kick-start this at the weekend. Have sourced a 32" 1080P Full-HD touchscreen gaming monitor to replace the old Sega 720P screen. and have a nice I5 based PC to go into the base.

I have an Europa-R spec'd PC built as well complete with correct printer port card for the FFB so I'me going to spend the next couple of nights clearing space so I can work on it and a quick trip to currys for a new fan heater as the one I have has gone pop.

Just need to make up some dummy cover panels to replace the ones that are missing and replace the FL light with an LED equivalent as it doesn't work..

Sbdesign

SEGA collector
vacBacker
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
1,362CR
I'll reply soon enough Ninja just been busy.

Penrhos - The parallel port I/O that was hardcoded to a range of 0x1020 not sure if that makes sense to you or not.

Also

I still believe teknoparrot running it in 1080p with logitec FFB hack will be best option.

Im trying to get Motion working, and from what I gather teknoparrot won't output to the comm ports. So I'm limited to using the original Europa-R setup and usb key to stand any chance.

dave11674

User
Credits
108CR
Sorry to drag up an old post

did you get this osrted in the end ?

im rebuilding one of ours

how did you go about drivers for the io board as ve installed an identicle pc but got BSOD with the original HDD

so ive installed xp on a spare hdd

copied over the sega and launcher folders

installed DESKEY drivers for the dongle

but wheni run launcher i get kernel32.dll errors

if i run the rally 3 exe file it runs just fine even without the dongle

also syncs up with the master cab at the side

but i just cant get any controls working now

windows installed sopme basic driver for the io board

which i think is incorrect

any help here guys

thanks

dave

divx18

Credits
0CR
HI I am new here come from France I just bought a Sega rally 3 single cab also without cointower so I need to make a loom to my vts card can somebody help Wich cables and connectors I need to buy and also my serial port is dead so I want to kknow Wich brand or model I need to buy thx in advance and i have no Europa but a modified ring edge with grid & Sega rally thx in advance for the help

Joseph120198

Credits
0CR
Hi guys working on a sega rally 3 deluxe cabinet as we speak, really struggling to get past the dongle protection as DK2 dongle is broken any help is appreciated