We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in April 2017  (Read 9692 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Galanthus in April 2017
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
Yesterday we got new snow, but today it is raining so it will melt away. Snowdrops are advancing very slowly.
Here are some from last week (before the snow).
'Mrs Macnamara'
'Atkinsii'
'The Pearl', planted last summer, very pretty. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

Re: Galanthus in April 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
About ten years ago I planted ten dry bulbs of G.woronovii bought from garden center here. Four bulbs started to grow, and slowly they have multiplied, and also seeded.
Can you confirm that these are G.woronovii? There are ridges showing in the leaves, and I was wondering about them.. Or is it just light playing tricks?
In the first picture there are the two earliest plants, and then pictures of both of them closer. The clump in the left in no1 and in the right no2 which has more striped leaves.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Leena,

A lot of Snowdrop action inn your garden. Great fun to see them!

Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Two days back a group of Snowdrop enthusiasts met here and we all went on an adventure to the Cape Cod (U.S.) garden of Jonathan and Eugenie Shaw to look at Snowdrops and other early spring gems. Here are a few shots from their terrific garden where vast swaths of drops are naturalized.

From left to right is Gerry Bennett, Paula Squitiere, Harold Cross and Stephen Shaw all enjoying tall tales of Snowdrops at lunch at our home in SE Massachusetts, U.S. Next is a very large specimen Stewartia planted in this garden in 1957 by the current owner, Jonathan Shaw. And third, is a group of G. 'S Arnott' still in bloom that were essentially growing in shaded brambles.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
And a few more shots from the Shaw garden visit. A nice spread of G. 'David Shackleton', A fine clump of G. n. 'Virescens', a lovely Cornus mas, and I will end the show somewhat appropriately with a drop we saw named 'April Fools'!

Pauli

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
Galanthus platyphyllos is the very last here
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
Can you confirm that these are G.woronovii?

I don't think there is anything else they could be.  There are other snowdrops with supervolute green leaves but their flowers lack the notch on the inner petals that most snowdrops have, and yours do.  On the other hand, the leaves don't look quite like those of the various woronowii forms that I grow.  Can you make a close-up photograph of one of the flowers, please? 
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »
I have only two snowdrop flowers that have made it into April.  One is 'Foxton'.  This came from the collection of the late David Quinton after some of his collection was sold at an AGS bulb sale some years ago.  My notes say that it was similarly late-flowering last year.

The second is a flower I collected (with the kind permission of its owner) because it was an albino - but I subsequently discovered it is only albino in some years and perfectly normal the rest of the time.

Almost in Scotland.

Leena

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
Thank you Rick. :) You have a lot of snowdrops still in flower also. :)

On the other hand, the leaves don't look quite like those of the various woronowii forms that I grow.  Can you make a close-up photograph of one of the flowers, please?

Thank you, I was hoping you would comment, Alan. Yes, I was wondering about the leaves. I can take a close-up of the flowers tomorrow, if the rain stops.
You have a very nice albino snowdrop. :)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 07:23:39 AM »
I'm not snowdrop grower and it seems that they don't like me, too. But some I have.
Here one of nice findings in Eastern Carpathian mountains where grows large flowering form of G. nivalis. This one I named 'Carpathian Viridapicis'. If someone wants it - I'm open for offers.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Janis, the fashion in snowdrops these days is for more exoticism than just green tips on a nivalis.  But I'm sure if it grows well then it will find its way into cultivation because the snowdrops that stand the test of time are the vigorous good doers rather than the fashionable exotics.  I would love to see these large-flowered nivalis snowdrops growing in-situ in the Eastern Carpathian Mountains. 
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
Spring has been thoroughly rotten and the weather is not quite finished with us yet.  The whole east coast has suffered hard late March freezes after a very mild start, we on the other hand got repeated snowfalls so trust we avoided bud damage on the early shrubs.  Everyone is very tired of this bizarre weather.

Opened one sealed frame yesterday to find a riot of bloom and Ken spied this big bruiser of a seedling.  The label says "seed ex 'Daglingworth', planted June 2010 ex Stella T.", this must be its first flowering.  A good stout stem so we hope the size and markings will improve in the next couple of years, one other unflowered sibling.

Fairly certain the seed was 'Daglingworth' selfed.

john
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:55:47 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
Ken finally got the opaque plastic off the frames.  This 6m frame was a treat to see yesterday.  Now to get the pots cleaned up and notes made.  We are terribly backed up.

Good rains on the way.

john   
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
Wonderful how healthy they look in spite of their  long covering.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
John...they sure look fit as a fiddle in those shavings...like Christmas in April seeing all of those drops! Rick

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal