We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2016  (Read 41820 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula 2016
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2016, 07:57:31 PM »
Very pretty Claire.

Some more of mine today:-

Primula 'Jackie Richards'
P. 'Clarence Elliott' (P. auricula x allionii)
P. 'Lindum Destiny'
P. 'Lindum Eros'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 08:00:06 PM »
A couple more:-

Primula allionii 'Chivalry'
A Primula allionii seedling from Gerd Stopp under his number 10/08
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

suesimpson33

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »
Primula 'Gecko'

suesimpson33

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
Primula 'Adrian Jones'
Primula ' Chivalry'

Graeme

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
David and Sue - thanks for posting there are some great plants there

Particularly like the 'Gecko'

Just one quick question I used to have a Marginata that had a yellow farina rather than the white - I lost it but cannot remember which one it was - any ideas

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
Just one quick question I used to have a Marginata that had a yellow farina rather than the white - I lost it but cannot remember which one it was - any ideas

Wrightman Alpines Nursery in Canada  listed a  Primula marginata 'Patient Molly'  -
www.wrightmanalpines.com/plant/primula-marginata-patient-molly    described as:
A marginata seedling selected for is strong growth, yellow farina and soft rosy purple blooms.

But there is no picture  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »
thanks Maggie - I have a good memory for names and it is not that one - but I will definitely look to obtain one of them as the yellow/gold meal is very attractive

need to have a trip to Steve Furness to see what he has got in as I spent nothing at last weekends Primula show

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »

.......................Particularly like the 'Gecko'

The full epithet for 'Gecko' is 'Lindum Gecko' bred by Martin and Dreena Thompson in Lincoln ("Lindum" was the Roman [latin] name for Lincoln) .

I can only find details of the following as having yellow(ish) farina but there may well be others:-

Primula marginata 'Barbara Clough'  I've lost mine this year but Susan Tindall at Timpany Nursery stocks it.
P. m. 'Gold Leaf'  I haven't found any details of stockists.
P. m. 'Gold Plate' if you do a Forum Search you will find some details of this one.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

suesimpson33

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
This is my ' Barbara Clough' do you think it is wrongly labelled? There are so many of them and I do have quite  a few!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:27:09 PM by Maggi Young »

Graeme

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
The full epithet for 'Gecko' is 'Lindum Gecko' bred by Martin and Dreena Thompson in Lincoln ("Lindum" was the Roman [latin] name for Lincoln) .

I can only find details of the following as having yellow(ish) farina but there may well be others:-

Primula marginata 'Barbara Clough'  I've lost mine this year but Susan Tindall at Timpany Nursery stocks it.
P. m. 'Gold Leaf'  I haven't found any details of stockists.
P. m. 'Gold Plate' if you do a Forum Search you will find some details of this one.
thanks David - I have had a look at my list of plants and it was 'Gold Plate' - so I better get looking for one - I have a lot of lost label plants I will need to id at some stage

Got a lot of the 'Lindum' plants but not that one - again it is on my shopping list

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
Ah Graeme, look on the bright side -  better a lost label than a lost/dead plant!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

suesimpson33

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
Blindsee
Oberau
Lismore Sunshine
Tranquility

Graeme

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
Ah Graeme, look on the bright side -  better a lost label than a lost/dead plant!
I have a rather large bucket with every lable from every plant I have lost - it does not make good reading............

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »
Sue, I think your Primula marginata 'Barbara Clough' is right (possibly) ;D  Below are three examples two from Nurseries and a pic of my plant from April 2014. The flower on the Barnhaven pic looks too light but I'm sure that was result of the light when the image was taken. 

http://www.barnhaven.com/alpines/primula-marginata/barbara-clough

https://www.wrightmanalpines.com/all-plants/primula-marginata-barbara-clough
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Maggi Young link=topic=13888.msg352844#msg352844 date=1457553321]
Well, all examples are pin-eyed, so that's a good start!  The two show plants  look to have a fuller flower, don't you think?  Both Zdenek's and  Hans' are  more  "starry" flowers ?  Zdenek's is a much more red shade I think - tough with  photos though, isn't it?

Thank you Sue, Maggi and David. First of all I apologize myself for my very late response. I simply forgot my question and have found your replies only today. My guilt.
Well, the colour of flowers on my plant is darker than all your examples (they are so dark, indeed), the name Fritz Kummert is however sure much nearer to truth than Joan Hughes. I got that plant many years ago from an Austrian friend, so the name Fritz Kummert could be probable. Such problems arise simply from a fact that some people rise plants from seed of a hybrid and its seedlings distribute on under the same name. In each case it is however a great help for me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:15:53 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal