We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2015  (Read 44708 times)

KenC

Re: Primula 2015
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »
Susan, I am so happy to see your success with Primula agleniana.  I also received seed (more than once) from  Bjornar and they germinated beautifully (with or without GA3) but after their first set of true leaves appeared they stopped growing and eventually faded away.  Why are the plants you desire most the hardest to win over?   Will you please share your method for success?

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Ken. I pricked them out early on, just when the first true leaves formed, into jiffy plugs in a shady tunnel. After they grew on I planted them into fish boxes. This is just so I keep some stock for myself. They stayed in a very shady tunnel along with my nomocharis/lilies. In the spring I moved them outside, too early I think as the leaves got frosted. I then found a place in the stock beds for them so planted them in the ground. Nothing scientific about this, things get moved around here depending on space issues. Perhaps they did so well as I didn't realise they were so beautiful and just treated them like everything else. The more you want something the harder it is to grow ::)
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
I have just found a couple of primula valentiniana seedlings poking up through the moss. They are now pricked into plugs. Hope they are as successful.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
Primula sieboldii: pale pink seedlings
Primula siebodii from spent seed compost dumped at back of border....

Roma

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
Primula munroi
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
 :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before  - John Richard's book Primulas, is now available as a e-book.

"The classic text on the Genus Primula, "Primula" by John Richards is now available as an ebook for $15.09 on Google Play. This book gives a systematic overview of each species with an emphasis on comparisons between related species. There are also sections for Historical Introduction, Cultivation, Evolutionary History, Important Characters, Heterostyly & Homostyly and a Botanical Key. Note that there are differences between Richards and other authorities for the classification of some species."

http://www.primulaworld.blogspot.ca/2015/05/ebook-primula-by-john-richards.html

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
I already have the book but this raises a question in my mind. If a book is published as an e-book does the author still receive royalties from such sales. I hope they do, I'd hate Google to amass further revenues to dodge paying tax on!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
Primula kisoana var. shikokiana 'Iyobeni'

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
Very nice colour, Giles - it that from Jodie at Barnhaven?

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
.. it was ....     ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
My 4 precious P. maximowiczii have died over winter. Surely not our colder-than-usual but more likely bogged. We were under water several times and it's STILL very wet. >:(

Happier thugh, there was something on the Forum some time ago about some new Irish primulas, with dark foliage. I yearned for them at the time but recently a local nursery has brought in a few forms as tissue cultured material and I bought three this last week, 'Dunbeg,' 'Cloddah' and 'Innisfree.' (I need to nip out and check the spelling of the names but it's only 2C out there at present.) The flowers are very nice but the foliage is fantastic. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
I like your spent compost group Giles. They are very attractive. Dumping old seed pot compost is always a good policy.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »

Happier though, there was something on the Forum some time ago about some new Irish primulas, with dark foliage. I yearned for them at the time but recently a local nursery has brought in a few forms as tissue cultured material and I bought three this last week, 'Dunbeg,' 'Cloddah' and 'Innisfree.' (I need to nip out and check the spelling of the names but it's only 2C out there at present.) The flowers are very nice but the foliage is fantastic. ;D

coo, that's a bit of luck Lesley - they are lovely aren't they?

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »

Happier thugh, there was something on the Forum some time ago about some new Irish primulas, with dark foliage. I yearned for them at the time but recently a local nursery has brought in a few forms as tissue cultured material and I bought three this last week, 'Dunbeg,' 'Cloddah' and 'Innisfree.' (I need to nip out and check the spelling of the names but it's only 2C out there at present.) The flowers are very nice but the foliage is fantastic. ;D

When I saw them at your place Lesley I thought the Irish primulas were on steroids such was the size of the foliage...too much for me I'm afraid  :o. I prefer the more delicate ,such as this little honey who's name escapes me for the moment flowering in the sand crevice bed...
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal