phal violacea var sumatra

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

noel

few days after my deep sadness.....
this little beauty finally open it's jewel
only to be found by me.....captivated in it's beauty
here's the photos of my little beauty....phal violacea var sumatra
here's the photo without flash light
DSC00721.JPG

here's the side view without flash light
DSC00722.JPG

here's the whole plant without flash light
DSC00723.JPG

here's the photo with flash light
DSC00720.JPG

here's the zoomed version with flash light
DSC00730.JPG

DSC00726.JPG

here's the labellum detail with flash light
DSC00725.JPG

p.s:i am surprised to see that mine color's is so much bolder than the one illustrated in books,i'm so happy:D

Hello Noel,

Excellently grown plants! Your upside-down growing method is really interesting. Do you find this works better than right-way-up? I have a whole lot of protocorms in flask (all the bluddy things ever do is proliferate!) and when they finally make their way into the harsh world I want them to grow and flower as well as yours.

Are your plants from Burleigh Park? (Thats where mine come from.)

Kind regards

yes, i have found that hanging phals upside down is way better than hanging upright,because it prevents water from accumulating in the plant's crown and it suits phals need of breeze and aeration....BTW paphioboy,yes,that is wild collected plants and i just tie them in the moss,but you can see wood slab behind them right?my point is that i let my phals decide wether to make aerial roots or roots that are soon attached in the wooden slab...my phal schilleriana has already attached few of its root in the wood slab.....

Very interesting culture method!!! Could I do this to my upward growing phals??? Or just keep growing them "normally"??? I think the leaves will find it too difficult to adjust...:(

How often do you water them???

Great colour!!!

oh no,it's not tiring,because it worth well the work.....my friend told me once that this method repressed rot rate from pretty high in potted phals to low in phals hanged upside down.beside,thats how phals grow in the wild sometimes......so they like it pretty much....my phal bellina is spiking right now....cant wait to see the flowers

Beautiful! .....when I move (eventually, once I figure out how I'm going to grow things!).....

Heather now that you are moving you can create a better growing area and orchid growing will be a lot easier and interesting....:D:D:D Ideas at growing area megathread!!! Good luck... :)

hehehe:):)thanx for the info...
sorry,limited space restrict me to grow phals in individual slab hehehehe.....
maybe if i got my own greenhouse later i will sure to get individual slab for them.beside,is it neat to see them grow together?hoping that someday they will spread their roots and create colony of different phal species.....but i hate the 'someday' part , i'm so longing to see the colonies:p:p BTW paphioboy,i have seen your previous post of your phal violacea,i notice that yours flower is narrower than mine,is that malayan variety?but the colors are stunning,especially the clarity of the spots.....mine is not as clear as yours:D:D

i have two small violacea var mentawai hehehehe..wanna trade?;)
.......just kidding....but if you have phal javanica i would like to trade it,but how?:confused:hehehehehe........:D:D:Ddoes it involve shipping?i heard that it's hard to get the permit......:p

Back