More Calanthe, but these are mine

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Last week I showed you all Calanthe at a local show. Here are some that I grow myself.

This is a Kozu type hybrid (izu-insularis x dicolor). Amazing fragrance.

Kozu2.jpg

I'm not sure the parentage of this one. I love the contrasting colors. It too is fragrant, but quite different from the former one - perhaps a bit more floral.

Calanthe2.jpg

Here is C. sieboldii and its naturally occurring hybrid, C. x takane (sieboldii x discolor). C. sieboldii has a naturally large flower while C. discolor is small, hence C. x takane usually has smaller flowers than C. sieboldii. C. x takane can be very variable - some flowers look identical to C. sieboldii while others look more like this fellow on the right. Lovely fragrance on these, like Easter ribbon candy!

SieboldiiTakane.jpg

Here is another form of C. x takane. Often forms like this are sold under the name C. bicolor, C. x bicolor, or C. discolor v. bicolor. Basically they look like a robust form of C. discolor and generally are more richly colored than that species.

CalantheBicolor.jpg

Calanthe are best grown in pots where they can be monitored closely, but C. discolor, C. sieboldii, and C. x takane all make fairly good garden plants. In the USA, the southeastern states would be the optimal places to grow them outside since they prefer mild winters and warm and wet summers.

I'm off to yet another orchid show tomorrow. I'll post shots of anything interesting.

Well, I see them from teh same source that I got my habenareas from but I have no knowledge of them and thus I am interested.:poke:

Sorry Eric, was pressed for time and answered quickly. Those Habenaria like truly tropical conditions whereas this type of Calanthe prefer cool to cold winters (between just above freezing to around 50 F). Here they grow as woodland plants much like Cyps - constant moisture, high humidity, bright shade, etc. You can grow them from a naked rhizome, but it would set them back for several years. Nurseries such as Asiatica have carried them in the past. Not sure how they would do in your apartment - probably too dry. I'd try C. sieboldii first since it is pretty tough.

Latest posts

Back