Japanese Irises

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few pics of my Japanese irises. Most are grown in pot.

Iris ensata Summer Splash web by Erythrone, sur Flickr

Iris ensata Reveille web by Erythrone, sur Flickr. An oldie

Iris ensata Light at Dawn web by Erythrone, sur Flickr. An oldie and very good doer.

Iris ensata Indigo Delight web by Erythrone, sur Flickr

Iris ensata Dramatic Moment web by Erythrone, sur Flickr

Iris ensata Blue Beauty web by Erythrone, sur Flickr. Not sure it is the true stuff but it is a very strong grower and easy to bloom (which is not the cas for all JIs....)

Iris x pseudata Yasha web by Erythrone, sur Flickr
This one is actually an hybrid between Iris ensata and Iris pseudacorus (the yellow marsh European iris).

Japanese Iris are the most beautiful Iris in the world and
yours are stunning. They are borderline hardy here (zone 6B) and I'm always afraid to try them because they're
expensive and I hate losing plants. How do you grow them in pots? I'd love some details.

Indigo Delight is my favorite, but all are beautiful.

Beautiful! I like them all. I also would be interested in how you grow them in pots.

Japanese Iris are the most beautiful Iris in the world and
yours are stunning. They are borderline hardy here (zone 6B) and I'm always afraid to try them because they're
expensive and I hate losing plants. How do you grow them in pots? I'd love some details.

Indigo Delight is my favorite, but all are beautiful.

I am surprised to read they are borderlin hardy since many JIs are hardy in the ground in our USDA zone 3 gardens. The problem in the garden is not the hardiness but usually the decline of the "fowering power" of the plant after a few years. So we should dig the clumb, divide the plant and not replant in the same spot...But it looks like, in Japan, there is no such issue.... But in North America, most JIs must grow their plants that way.

Always a joy to see whats going on in garden.

Last week they were in full bloom at 10,000ft.
It was 37F driving there at 5am.

About growing in pots : They are grown outdoors, but with winter protection. I usually put the pots in a child pool during summer, and the plants are grown semi-hydropinic, somewhat like Phrags, but with much more fertiliser. Finding the right fertilizer regime it the main issue for me. They seem to thrive on urea in our summers. Another problem is that they are prone to thrips

What kind of potting medium do you use? What size pots?
What a great idea using a small pool. I just happen to have a small pond, but it's in shade. Potting them might
allow me to grow them in sun and move the pots into
shade when they're in bloom.

I usually pot them in a 1 gallon nursery pot, sometimes less for very small plant with a few leaves, sometimes in larger pots, when the clump is very large after some years... I try to use pot taller than wide. I tried many different medium. I now use peat base mix with perlite, with a lot of compost.

Latest posts

Back