Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Sega put out a mini with all panzer dragoons, shining force 3, all the big arcade racers and 3d fighters I would pay a lot.

Really doubt that would ever happen. Emulation is apparently pretty complicated/taxing and at least Panzer Dragoon Saga's source code is gone I believe. I'm just waiting for that guy trying to make a CD drive replacement to get it out for the masses so I don't have to worry about CD drive failure

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Really doubt that would ever happen. Emulation is apparently pretty complicated/taxing and at least Panzer Dragoon Saga's source code is gone I believe. I'm just waiting for that guy trying to make a CD drive replacement to get it out for the masses so I don't have to worry about CD drive failure

That's what I worry about constantly. Just give me a CDX sized thing that can play Saturn and Sega CD games.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I have a Saturn and had no idea that 10 player games were a thing.

Will have to look into trying this at some point.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Great write up! I chose Saturn over PS1 and I loved my black slab... It had my favourite FPS of all time on it...

sega-saturn-exhumed.jpg

Couldn't agree more. My first real FPS experience and it was amazing! Loved burning rangers, sega rally and of course the best rail shooter bar none...Panzer Dragon Zwei

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Been replaying Panzer Dragoon: Zwei on my Saturn recently and yeah, the console is still fantastic.

That was the first game I got for the Saturn back in 1998. I just played it recently, too.

It was well worth the money getting a ODE for the machine to replace the failing drive.

I just have to ask: What is "ODE"? From the context, I assume it's some sort of CD drive replacement. Mine's actually still holding up well, but I'm just curious.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to buy a Saturn, but I just dont know if theres enough games on it that I would play these days. Really wish it was able to play Sega CD games also, because I would totally buy it then.

Was such a neat console for its time, just wish it had survived longer than it did.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That was the first game I got for the Saturn back in 1998. I just played it recently, too.

I just have to ask: What is "ODE"? From the context, I assume it's some sort of CD drive replacement. Mine's actually still holding up well, but I'm just curious.

Optical drive emulator. Replaces the CD drive with an SD card reader; just rip your games and you're golden.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It feels really hard to collect for the Saturn, at least as far as the cases go in the US.

My grandmother found the Saturn console for me at a flea market a while ago with the second type of US controller. I think it hilariously came with the Madden mentioned in the chart thread earlier this week, and an NHL game. I was and still am very nostalgic for it because two of my good childhood friends had the Saturn at launch, while I had an N64 and PS1.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I really want to buy a Saturn, but I just dont know if theres enough games on it that I would play these days. Really wish it was able to play Sega CD games also, because I would totally buy it then.

Was such a neat console for its time, just wish it had survived longer than it did.

That's an interesting point. Could you imagine how things could have turned out if the Saturn was compatible with Sega CD games? This wasn't feasible in 1994 for several reasons, but if it was feasible, then I think the addition of those games (or even just the top 15-20 games in each region ported to the Saturn) could have bolstered the early library and brought the system much more success, relatively speaking.

I never had a Sega CD, myself, but there were a few gems in the library that would have been great to have on the Saturn.

Optical drive emulator. Replaces the CD drive with an SD card reader; just rip your games and you're golden.

I see. That would make sense, especially if you have a system that has a failing CD drive, but all other components still work well.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Here to pay respect to one of my most favorite consoles! Awesome OP too! :D

Made me dig this old photo and take a few new ones:

And playing some games on PC such as Sonic Mania(pre-and post Plus DLC) and Rabi-Ribi having winks and nods to the console re-affirms my choice of using a Saturn USB pad with them too! (The latter is more in the shape of a SNES/SuFami controller but with obvious White Saturn buttons)

Speaking of which, when are those officially licensed Saturn (and Dreamcast) controllers supposed to hit? Both my original Saturn pads need replacements, and would love to add another Saturn USB pad as only the Neo Geo Pad USB comes the closest IMO!

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Remember slapping down £399 for a release day console in Rumbelows (or was it Beatties) here in the UK and never regretted it. Once that 50/60hz switch and region select mod was fitted, I spoilt the shit out of that machine, treating it to every Japanese imported game that tickled its fancy. Awesome times, and the Sega Saturn Magazine was some of the high points of UK games journalism, along with the crazed minds of U.K Resistance.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
They were scheduled to come out this month but it got delayed because they needed further tweaking to be up to snuff. Or so I read in an article about the latest prototype revisions shown at some trade event on a Saturn fan site.

Great, I'd rather they be on par with the originals and the official run USB pads than a shoddy product (looking at you modern Neo Geo Mini pads >_<)
Hope that goes also for the Dual Shock looking models too. That would be a dream!

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I wish things turned out differently for the Saturn but making a 2D powerhouse in an age where 3D was the next big thing really demonstrated a lack of foresight on Sega's part.

I wonder if Sega were expecting the emerging generation to be a 2D/3D hybrid era? Sony and Nintendo definitely had the vision for 3D and Sega didn't - which is all the more odd when you consider their 3D arcade output.... So many confusing and contradictory aspects to Sega in this era.

Props on the Dark Savior shout out. It's one of my top ten favorite games and barely anyone played it.

I remember seeing it in a magazine back in the day, had a mini guide for it. Absolutely fell in love with it's art style and it made me want a Saturn. Someday I'll buy one. Especially since the emulation for Saturn, or at least this game, never really seemed to work out.

It really is such a a great and unique game. In all my years of gaming, I've never played one like it.

Action adventure + Isometric exploration and platforming + 2D fighting system + enemy capture system + parallel narratives on each replay.

I'm so glad people still remember this absolutely classic.

I was a sega fanboy during the Genesis era, but I got burned twice on the 32X and Sega CD. So I skipped the Saturn. I wasn't going to get burned again and moved to the PlayStation.

I came back for the Dreamcast, but we all know what happened there.

I absolutely don't blame you declining the Saturn after the unimpressive Mega Cd and 32X. What I can say is that the Saturn was much, much better than both of those systems combined. If you liked Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis output - the Saturn is the successor to those game styles. The lineup - especially with regards to 2D - really continues the design approaches of this era. For some, that was amazing.

It's probably omitted from that NPD list because it was only sold in a hardware bundle but technically the best-selling US Saturn game was the Virtua Fighter 1 pack-in at launch, which sold 250,000 units. Madden '97 sold just under that at 240,000.

Saturn hardware in US: 1.4 million units total.

Best-selling games (from an old NPD thread elsewhere on the Internet):

Really interesting to read this sales fact, thanks for sharing it!

Hopefully sega wakes up a bit to its potential, though I'm hoping a quick and dirty Saturn mini is not the answer.

Yeah, I have concerns about Sega creating a Saturn mini.

My expectations would be pretty low, unfortunately. I can see them including all the titles that have been ported to umpteen systems such as Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Sonic R, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon #1 - and while there is a place for these - it would be such a shame if the opportunity was missed to exhibit all those games that are near-impossible to play.

We prefer the rolling mines in the original. Rather than shooting like a normal shot and rolling when they hit the ground in Zwei, in 1 they just drop from your tank and roll immediately. It makes it a better balanced weapon as you can only use it when you yourself have the high ground or better yet combo it with the jump jets or hover coil. Hover coil + rolling mines is a signature combo of our group and it doesn't work well in Zwei.

The terrain also doesn't flatten itself in 1. I'm not against that, but it just does it too fast for us.

Zwei has a huge advantage though in giving 10 pts per round no matter what, which 1 doesn't do. If you can't get kills in 1 the only way to get pts to buy weapons is a rare supply drop. But if you play enough rounds luck will give even worse players some kills so we ultimately stick with 1.

1 is only 6 player though, so if you have 7 then Zwei it is.

Really interesting! I don't believe the original Death Tank was accessible on PAL, so its really interesting to hear about some of the differences.

That console shall have never existed and was Sega biggest error; Three wrongs do not make a right.

I disagree. Sega made many, many massive errors: The Sega CD. The 32X. The disorganised and disjointed nature of their development teams, with some teams given the power to veto the work of other teams (Sonic X-Treme and Sonic Team). Not capitalising on their IPs, or their arcade division. Not understanding the competition, not recognising the industry moving to 3D, not recruiting partner developers, overpricing their hardware, etc.

The Saturn is a good machine with a stellar software lineup. It did the best it could, and Sega failed it. The Saturn isn't the error in itself, Sega themselves were the error.

That's an interesting point. Could you imagine how things could have turned out if the Saturn was compatible with Sega CD games? This wasn't feasible in 1994 for several reasons, but if it was feasible, then I think the addition of those games (or even just the top 15-20 games in each region ported to the Saturn) could have bolstered the early library and brought the system much more success, relatively speaking.

I never had a Sega CD, myself, but there were a few gems in the library that would have been great to have on the Saturn.

One of my favourite what-ifs? is a world where the Sega never pumped resources into the 32X or Sega CD. I'd like to imagine this would have happened:

-Earlier Saturn launch (to get an audience before the PSX appears)
-Optimised and enhanced Saturn versions of Sonic CD, Doom, Chaotix, Snatcher, Shining Force CD and Ecco CD alongside the Saturn launch titles
-Because Sega never made losses on Sega CD/32X, maybe they could have turned the Saturn cartridge slot into something backwards compatible with the Mega Drive/Genesis? This could have been the first backwards-compatable console?

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Was just looking on Ebay following some of the discussions in this thread. Saw this:

fJHsKwp.jpg

Had no idea there was ever a console Command and Conquer bundle, and for all consoles the Sega Saturn!

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was inspired by the thread to buy something for the Saturn. Just found a used copy of Nights on Amazon for $29 case and inserts all in good condition.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I wonder if Sega were expecting the emerging generation to be a 2D/3D hybrid era? Sony and Nintendo definitely had the vision for 3D and Sega didn't - which is all the more odd when you consider their 3D arcade output.... So many confusing and contradictory aspects to Sega in this era.

I think that's exactly what they were expecting. The problem is that (as you said in your original post) right around the time of the Saturn's release, the notion of "2D" was frowned upon, and regarded as some sort of relic of the past. So, while many wonderful 2D games were made in the mid 1990s, most of them were either ignored or treated with derision.

Their heart was in the right place. But, since the mass market was demanding more 3D games, they had to emphasize those types of games, and the Saturn just wasn't quite as adept as the PlayStation or Nintendo 64.

One of my favourite what-ifs? is a world where the Sega never pumped resources into the 32X or Sega CD. I'd like to imagine this would have happened:

-Earlier Saturn launch (to get an audience before the PSX appears)
-Optimised and enhanced Saturn versions of Sonic CD, Doom, Chaotix, Snatcher, Shining Force CD and Ecco CD alongside the Saturn launch titles

Both of these were kind of what I was thinking when I posted earlier in this thread. I'd have envisioned that the machine would be something like the Neptune (Genesis with the 32X hardware built-in), probably a little more capable than the real-world 32X, but a bit less than the real-world Saturn. The PlayStation and N64 still would've outpowered it, but backward compatibility could have made a big difference when the other two systems were starting off with zero. By the time the other two started to pick up steam, the Dreamcast-era system would be in development...which itself might have evolved into a different beast altogether if our imaginary "Genesaturn" (or "Megadraturn", if you prefer) had caught on big.

-Because Sega never made losses on Sega CD/32X, maybe they could have turned the Saturn cartridge slot into something backwards compatible with the Mega Drive/Genesis? This could have been the first backwards-compatable console?

Well, the Atari 7800 already did backward compatibility with the 2600 about a decade earlier, so it wouldn't have been the first, But, yeah, that still would have been nice, especially since no one else was doing it during that time. It also makes me wonder why Sega didn't go ahead and create a Genesis adapter for the Saturn, like the Power Base Converter for the Genesis.

Dark Savior, an amazing amazing game!

Its a spiritual successor to a Mega Drive/Genesis title - Landstalker.

What was really unique about this action RPG was the parallel system. At the beginning of the game, the story direction can veer off in five seperate directions. Each takes the overall world and gives you a dramatically different narrative - what if the villain from the start of the game becomes the entire quest, and from which you learn the creature's horrifying past and sinister plans for the future? Alternatively, what if the villain from the start of the game dies immediately, and instead its corpse is used to fuel a conspiracy plotline? What if the villain from the start of the game ends up being entirely eclipsed by extradimensional events? What if the hero dies at the start when he wasn't destined to - where does his soul end up?

There are five major parallel stories equating to five distinct playthroughts, each parallel often has its own levels, bosses, etc. There are also sub-parallel variations in each parallel, ensuring that playthroughs are all different.

To this day, the meaning of this story is debated. This ranges from discussions of choices that affect life, to the idea that the main character is trapped in a living death and has regressed to corrupted memories in an effort to hold on to sanity. There's evidence for both.

A fascinating, fun, and engrossing game. One of my favourites of all time.

Thank you.

I looked for the game on youtube the other day and found some speedrun video of the game. 10 minutes in it looked so boring, but reading your explanation actually made me want to take another look of the game.

So how long does this game if i play casually?

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

I looked for the game on youtube the other day and found some speedrun video of the game. 10 minutes in it looked so boring, but reading your explanation actually made me want to take another look of the game.

So how long does this game if i play casually?

Its been a while... Each parallel is a sort of playthrough and they vary in length. As you play earlier parallels you'll become more adept and therefore faster at the later ones.

I think in terms of play time:

Parallel 1 - 8 hours
Parallen 2 - 10 hours
Parallel 3 and 4 - 5 hours
Parallel 5 - An hour

That is very, very approximate though!

Is there some more in-depth article available that goes into the details? This sounds fascinating.

There's an interesting thread on assembler that covers some of the difficulties and workarounds trying to get the Saturn to run code:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/saturn-cd-block-rom-dumped.52419/

This also provides a summation of sorts: https://hackaday.com/2016/07/11/cracking-the-sega-saturn-after-20-years/

The mysteries of the Saturn architecture are still being understood!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
My parents threw away my Saturn games which included Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon 2 and Guardian Heroes....

Luckily I had Panzer Dragoon Saga stashed away with me, it goes with me from apartment to apartment. Should have taken the rest of my Saturn games along as well. Damn!

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Its been a while... Each parallel is a sort of playthrough and they vary in length. As you play earlier parallels you'll become more adept and therefore faster at the later ones.

I think in terms of play time:

Parallel 1 - 8 hours
Parallen 2 - 10 hours
Parallel 3 and 4 - 5 hours
Parallel 5 - An hour

Definitely not that long.

I can complete all 5 parallels in about 6 hours. For a new player, I would say it should take no longer than twice that time. It's a pretty short game.

Nov 23, 2017
Is it not allowed to ask about how to region unlock the Saturn? I'd love to import some racing games and such that don't need english text at all to be good, since theyre probably 10% as expensive when they're JPN copies.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
In the halcyon days of 1995, the Saturn was the system I was mainly interested in, namely due to all of those RPGs in the pipeline and the fact it was more focused on 2D graphics than the PS1 and newly-revealed N64. Hearing about the Stolar anti-2D, anti-RPG policy of the PS1, and I was about to jump into the Saturn once the price went down a bit... of course, FF7 was announced, so I went the PS1 route and wasn't disappointed with my decision. But I still eyed games like Radiant Silvergun, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth (a game I read about in 1995 that took until the end of the system's US lifespan to release!), with a bit of envy. Dave's Sega Saturn Page was the shit back then, and they had a whole page devoted to import RPGs that I just loved! Anyone remember it? Here's an internet archive link: https://web.archive.org/web/20060127003818/http://www.sega-saturn.com:80/

So, the Saturn was the first "postmortem" system I bought, back in 2001 when I first discovered the wonders of Ebay. That being said, I was lucky enough to get in before the prices shot up -TOO- drastically. Radiant Silvergun at $140 was, up to that point, the most I've ever spent on a game. Have a pretty nice sized collection of American and Japanese games, it's a shame so many awesome games never got released stateside. The Capcom fighters, all the great shoot em ups, Tengai Makyou IV, Linkle Liver Story, the Langrisser games, Blue Seed, Princess Crown, and of course scenarios 2 and 3 of Shining Force 3.

Virtua Cop had some pretty pimpin' music:

Garyizraw

Sep 14, 2018
I still have my saturn and i love it, my very first console. I want a Saturn Classic, i'd buy two units for SURE

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I always admired the Saturn. I bought a PS1, because Final Fantasy. Playing the Knights demo in the stores was cool.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My favorite memory of Segata Sanshiro was when kamiya was asked on Twitter why Bayo didn't make it into Project X Zone 2. And he gave a really nice explanation that he knew Dante was in the game and he wanted to be the one to direct the game where Bayo and Dante cross paths for the first time. He got a bunch of nice response saying Bayo fans understand and then someone said they understand but it's a shame that she didn't get to meet Segata Sanshiro. I can't find the exact tweet kamiya sent in response to that but the general vibe of it was
th

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I remember never getting this because there wasn't an actual Sonic game (I didn't count 3D Blast). I got all the Sega systems. Shit I even got the 32X.

Wish I picked this up when I was a kid.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If all you want to do is region unlock it a stock action replay/gameshark should be all you need unless you're trying to play a game that needs expansion RAM

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has a lot of none menu-driven games, which, given its controller, hard for me to emulate. I guess I will never be able to play those games.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
20 hours on the first disc of panzer dragoon saga? that whole game is like 15 hours

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
This is the first piece in Mama Robotnik's Sega Obscura ResetEra Series:

When the fifth generation happened, the world went crazy for 3D. 2D was not cool, and did not sell. While the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were made for the 3D world, the Sega Saturn was not – and while some developers did 3D wonders with the Saturn's limited architecture, it was 2D where the real magic happened. The genres and styles of the Mega Drive/Genesis continued to evolve on the Saturn, and they were often weird and wonderful:

OpAx6LA.gif
5jLYpzP.gif

UbZ7Qzg.gif
VqC32gN.gif

3xEqGyE.gif
dVtQ7Pf.gif

Acknowledgement: Off-screen Death Tank footage from this YouTube channel

I have to know: What is the game in the 1st column, 2nd row (with the blonde girl)?