• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The first and only console I have ever preordered and picked up on launch day, 9/9/99 was one of the best days ever. I turned it into a four day weekend and came home and played Sonic Adventure all night. I actually didn't pick up a VMU and had to beat Sonic Adventure in one sitting. People who weren't there just cannot understand how insane of a leap the Dreamcast was. Hands down one of the best pieces of hardware ever.

Developer's Dream
The Sega Dreamcast was basically a response to all the faults of the Sega Saturn. Every flaw the Saturn had, the Dreamcast crushed. The Dreamcast shipped with TWO SDKs. First, there was the official Sega Dreamcast Katana SDK from Sega:

OxVIRsa.jpg

This kit was made by Sonic Team themselves. An infamous part of Sega Saturn history is how Sonic Team hoarded their best-in-class tools, even from the American division of Sega. This meant every team who worked on the Saturn had to make their entire tool kit from scratch most of the time. This caused poor game quality on the Saturn. When the Saturn died, Sonic Team was knee deep into development of what would eventually become Sonic Adventure:

Sonic_Jam_world.png

So they turned their attention to the dreamcast to begin making their tools. Sega demanded they release their tools to other developers, and their toolset became the official Dreamcast SDK. So right out of the gate with the dreamcast, you already had a best-in-class toolset to work with from one of the top development teams in the world at the time.

Secondly, Sega partnered with Microsoft to ship these babies:

jpTqx0f.jpg

This is the source of confusion regarding "Compatible with Windows CE." No, the Dreamcast does not have Windows CE inside. Rather, one could embed windows CE into their program using this tool kit to allow developers to easily port C and C++ applications to the Dreamcast. Every "compatible with windows CE" game has it directly on the disk.

Amazingly Transparent
People who don't do graphics programming probably aren't aware, but transparencies, even to this day, are an incredibly difficult problem to solve. Graphics programming tends to be done in "layers" and composited onto a final output, like photoshop, and thus the order you send your graphics affects the transparencies. Because things happen in layers, even on modern hardware, transparencies usually work in a top-down-approach. You need to order the polygons you send, so you send the transparent polygons last, so they can accurately blend with what's below them. This creates big problems when polygons are half behind one object and half behind another. The Sega Saturn infamously had numerous caveats about how it handled transparencies:

Even to this day, no console before or after, or indeed even PC hardware, handles transparencies as easily as the Dreamcast. To this very day, the Dreamcast has unique "special sauce" inside regarding how it handles transparencies (which I'll get into later). To simplify for right now, the dreamcast doesn't need to order polygons. No matter what order you send your polygons, they will appear transparent correctly. Send your top most transparent polygon first, behind every other opaque polygon, and it'll still behave just fine. Polygon ordering on the dreamcast really doesn't matter. On top of that, the dreamcast has PER PIXEL out of order transparency. Even if just one single pixel of your polygon is above another, that pixel will be handled correctly. It's an amazing feature. Hands down the best system ever at transparencies.

Punching Above its Weight
The secret to the Dreamcast's amazing graphics, ease of use, and general performance is the PowerVR2 core that resides in the Holly controller on the Dreamcast. The PowerVR is pretty much unlike any other graphics concept on the market before or since. It uses what is called deferred tiled-based rendering. Note the tile-based part, which is different from normal deferred rendering.

Interestingly, like the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation, and unlike the N64 and virtually every console since, the Sega Dreamcast did not have a Z-Buffer, nor did it need to do frustum culling? Nor did it do rasterization. Its graphics core behaves pretty much unlike any other console since or ever.

To understand the difference, you need to understand what rasterization works, and to understand that you need to know a bit about how 3D graphics primitives work. At their base level, 3D primitives are just groups of 3 to 4 points in space called vertices, which reside in memory. How these points are turned into graphics on screen depends on the implementation. Typically, this is through a process called rasterization, where each 3 or 4 points in memory is turned into a series of pixels to be held in memory. So each "polygon" has every single pixel that makes up said polygon calculated and residing in memory, even if 99% of those pixels are offscreen or behind other objects and thus will never be seen. This actually is an enormous waste of resources.

The way the Dreamcast's PowerVR2 core works is entirely different. When verticies are sent to VRAM from main ram, they undergo a process called binning where the PVR2's tile accelerator chops the screen up into square spaces. If a vertex resides in the area of one of those spaces, it is placed into a bin of similar vertexes. These screen-space tiles are always drawn in the same position on the screen regardless of vertices present. This is accomplished by a form of raycasting from the position of the camera to the spaces the tiles reside at using a fixed calculation that is translated around the screen. By raycasting out from the position of the camera, it ensures the only pixels ever created on the screen are for polygons that are in front, and visible on the screen. No extra pixels are ever drawn. This gives the dreamcast, essentially, infinite fill rate, and makes it punch way, way above its weight in terms of graphics.

To explain a bit better with pixtures, imagine the following screen space, with the following 3 vertices present:

jYpg6LQ.png

For the purpose of this example, we divide the screen space up into 4 square bins. Rather than rendering the entire triangle at once through rasterization, it would instead be drawn in tiled steps like so:

hnM9H69.png

To make this make a bit more sense, imagine we moved those vertices around so that only 1 square tile had visible pixels. In the end, this is all that would be rendered:

e9YMbAj.png

9nwx2ZY.png

w3soL8e.png

ywi71Jl.png

Vastly Ahead of its Time
Did you know that the Sega Dreamcast had it's own Virtual Console service in Japan?
It was called Dream Library, and was a part of your japanese Sega.net account. DreamLibrary allowed users to purchase and manage Sega Genesis and PC Engine games online. Once a game was purchased, it was tied to your account and could be infinitely redownloaded. Additionally, games could also be rented for a few days at a reduced cost. Because of the lack of permanent storage on the Dreamcast (a zip drive was announced but never released), games had to be redownloaded every time they were played, as only one could reside in RAM at a time.

Funnily enough, the emulator used for the Genesis titles in this was not the same as the emulator used in the US Sega Smash Pack release.

The Service started in May 2001 and ended February 1st 2003. Around 80 titles hit the service, about half being Genesis games and half being PC Engine games.

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-11-23%2Bat%2B21.14.37.png

Did you know that the Dreamcast version of Quake 3 not only supported keyboard and mouse controls, but also supported online cross-play with both Windows and Linux?

Did you know that Sega had a VMU + MP3 player in the works?

320px-Vmump3.jpg

This was announced before the Ipod.

Did you know that the Dreamcast had a motion controller in the works?

dcwii.jpg

It was intended to be used for NiGHTS 2. It was a pointer-based motion controller. Gunvalkyrie on the Xbox was originally a Dreamcast game, which would have used this motion controller in one hand with a normal dreamcast pad in the other hand, and would have controlled like Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii.

Did you know that the dreameye - the webcam only available in japan, has extra hardware inside that is never used? It was intended to allow developers to do basic motion tracking ala the Playstation Eyetoy or Microsoft Kinect (albeit without depth sensing, just basic outline detection). The console obviously died before that happened, and as such, the camera only ever released in Japan.

Did you know that the dreamcast has built-in hardware for compression? It has a dedicated vector quantization unit to decompress textures on the fly in memory. With VQ, you can get as much as 32x compression which, when coupled with the Dreamcast's 8 mb of VRAM, would give you the equivalent of 256 mb of VRAM for textures, with only slight artifacts.

Also, did you know that you can expand a stock dreamcast's VRAM to 16 mb? 32 mb on naomi units. 64 on Naomi 2s.

Don't forget to pay your respects to Uncle Sonic
One of the most interesting releases for the Dreamcast is the official Sega Smash pack, a collection of Sega Genesis games:

91R0JtK0ZeL._SX342_.jpg

The author of the emulator used in the Smash Pack officially leaked info to Echelon, the piracy group that cracked dreamcast games, so they could rip the emulator and release it online. Since Dreamcast games can't be read in normal CDRom Drives, it's not too obvious, but if you network a dreamcast to a PC and browse the disc, you'll find a file called Echelon.txt in the root. Inside is the following:

To whomever releases this pack..

Let me give you a few bits of info:

- I emulate a U.S. Genesis, including territory lock-out.
- ".sga" files are standard Genesis/Megadrive ".bin" files renamed.
- The emulator is looking for some parameters to be passed via Ginsu.
If you don't know what that is, you'll figure it out:

MDE_US.BIN ALTBEAST.SGA MODE2 SKIP0 SOUND0

MODE0 = standard, fastest video mode settings
MODE1 = slower, supports some extra features
MODE2 = slowest, includes window layers (used by some games)
MODE4 = same as MODE0 with background skewing

SKIP0 = no sprite skipping until maximum reached
SKIP1 = moderate sprite skipping, used to prevent major slowdown
SKIP2 = maximum sprites skipped

SOUND0 = standard sound emulation
SOUND1 = sound tempo increased

And don't forget to pay your respects to Uncle Sonic.
Sony just doesn't get it.

- Gary

The final line which says "Respect uncle sonic" is why the Echelon release notes for the Genesis emulator says this:

Miscellaneous Notes:

- Yes, this pack is based off an emulator that Sega coded.

- The emulator requires a lot of tweaking to get games that are not
included on this pack to run correctly.

- If we have time for it, we will probably do this tweaking over
the next few days and release a menu system to launch your own
ROM's and burn them to a CD.

- For all of those wondering, the DC console that comes with this
pack (when you buy it!) DOES play MIL CD's / copies.

- You will all probably be wondering how to exit out of a game once
you start it, simply press A+B+X+Y simultaneously, then hit Start
to return back to the menu system.

- Regards to Uncle Sonic for his help, you know for what!

It's STILL Thinking...
The state of Sega Dreamcast homebrew programming is vibrant and alive and strong. Even as frequently as just a couple of weeks ago, KOS, the standard SDK for homebrew Dreamcast development, saw a pretty major update. Today, homebrew hardware is in full production:

s-l640.jpg

You can STILL play Dreamcast games Online, there are currently at this very second, 5 players on Phantasy Star Online right now. Today, it's easier than ever to get your Dreamcast back online:

https://segaretro.org/DreamPi

There are full media players for the Dreamcast:

hqdefault.jpg

Even a full, working, useful OS:

Logo.png

Dreamshell-shortcuts.jpg

There are also Optical Drive Emulators for the Dreamcast to replace faulty lasers:

maxresdefault.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Open Your Heart

This is just the first planned event for a month of Sega Dreamcast greatness. Dig your dreamcast out and dive right in, it's such a bad siiiiign.

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 10 year old mind was blown when I first saw ready to rumble. Couldn't believe how good it looked. Dreamcast was one of those times in my life where I was legit blown away at technology.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sonic looked insane!
Never had a Dreamcast but it always fascinated me. Seeing it in a shop alongside the N64 was almost unbelievable with what it could do.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I loved mine for mostly Garou, but I loved Shenmue also (until I had to stop playing because of "life" around 2001-2002, I didn't actually finally beat it until like 2015).

I still have my copy of Garou (but the case and manual are missing sadly) and Capcom vs SNK 2 (I never had the case for this game). Nowadays whenever I play mine which isn't often, it'll just be for Typing of the Dead with a mechanical keyboard connected to a usb/PS2 adapter connected to a controller adapter with a PS/2 port on it. I know Typing of the Dead is on steam, but the characters don't wear Dreamcasts on their backs in the ones on steam lol.

I want to get around to figuring out how to replace my laser one day, because getting it to actually read discs is just me being lucky nowadays.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Christmas 99 with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur was the best. I was blown away. Dreamcast has always been one of my all time faves.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Great, albeit short-lived console. Thank you for Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online. I can't tell you how many hours I lost to those two titles.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I saved up for months for my preorder and took that day plus the next off from work. Went to Toy R Us and picked up the system, an extra controller, Sonic Adventure, Soulcalibur and NFL Blitz. Got home and the system wouldn't work. When I went back to the store and the guy told me all the systems were already preordered. I talked him into swapping my broken one for someone else's (sorry!). Got back home the system worked but now the copy of Sonic Adventure was a dud.

My brother came over after school and we played the other games and the demo disk before I went back to exchange Sonic. The same guy was there and said all the copies were preordered as well. He agreed to swap me someone else's (sorry again!). I tried to pick up Powerstone but they were sold out, as were Circuit City. I stupidly bought Trickstyle instead of Blue Stinger or Hydro Thunder that night and regretted it, everyone hated it. We spent the weekend playing mostly Soulcalibur and Blitz.

I loved the system but no one else I knew IRL would buy one. Even my cousin (who was the only other person I knew who owned a Saturn) was holding out for a PS2.

A lot of great memories with the system in it's short life-
-Finally a real 3D Sonic game! After preordering Sonic X-treme(and pouring of the previews in magazines), plus running around in Sonic Jam & Christmas Nights it was finally here. Taking my VMU to work to train my Chao during lunch.
-Driving around all over to find 2 light-guns for House of the Dead 2 and how much fun that was.
-I never had a computer so the Dreamcast browser was the first time I could go online, I think I was still using it up through 2004 or 2005.
-Getting the mouse and keyboard to play Quake 3 Arena only to realize I hate playing online (still do), but using the keyboard to play Typing of the Dead was pretty cool.
-Beating Crazy Taxi 100%
-Grandia 2 and it's amazing combat.
-Shenmue blew me away.
-Jet Grind(Set) Radio was amazing.
-D2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, SF3: Third Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Powerstone etc, etc...

I regret not buying Project Justice when I had the chance or a mic to play Seaman.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder how much juice there would have been in the long run for the system in terms of graphics.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The real launch of the Dreamcast was in 1998 and is one of the worst platform launches ever. PS2 also had a really bad Japanese launch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real launch of the Dreamcast was in 1998 and is one of the worst platform launches ever. PS2 also had a really bad Japanese launch.

The entire reason the Dreamcast existed was for western markets, they had already had Japan where they outsold the N64. Sega put everything into the 9/9/99 launch, the Japanese launch was more of a beta than anything else. Since the beginning, Sega was laser focused on 9/9/99.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The entire reason the Dreamcast existed was for western markets, they had already had Japan where they outsold the N64. Sega put everything into the 9/9/99 launch, the Japanese launch was more of a beta than anything else. Since the beginning, Sega was laser focused on 9/9/99.
I agree completely but it's why I always disqualify both the Dreamcast and the PS2 from the best launch conversation and I love both of those consoles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder how much juice there would have been in the long run for the system in terms of graphics.

The bottleneck for the Dreamcast is the SH4 needing to perform all transformations locally before sending it to the PVR2, as the PVR2 is not a "GPU" as we know it today, it's more of a graphics accelerator. So remove the need to transform your vectors from the equation, and the Dreamcast can produce amazingly high quality models. If you precalculate all vertexes and just stream them to the PVR2, you can do stuff like this:

wn0KBPW.jpg

HseDgNk.jpg

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Dreamcast will always be my favourite system. Changed so much for me. So many great games.

If Phantasy Star Online is simple enough to get up and running still, that sounds like a dream come true.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast will always be my favourite system. Changed so much for me. So many great games.

If Phantasy Star Online is simple enough to get up and running still, that sounds like a dream come true.

If you can get a raspberry pi and a USB phoneline modem you can get it online within a few moments. Entire kit costs $30:

https://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop

DreamPi actually hit a milestone earlier this week:

2000 new dreamcast online members. Today, Dreamcast community has an online service akin to Xbox Live for titles:

http://dreamcast.online/now/
https://www.dreamcastlive.net/schedule

Where you can create an account, people can coordinate events, you can check who's online, etc.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That's a very sweet tribute OP, thanks !
I got mine a week after the japanese release (early decembre 98), second hand for half price, because someone forgot that he needed a step down converter to play a japanese console in western europe. The best console i ever had ( i am an arcades nut and we got near simultaneous releases arcades/home).

Happy western birthday my lil' poopsikins~

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best console i ever had ( i am an arcades nut and we got near simultaneous releases arcades/home).

My MGCD Sega Dreamcast Jamma Adapter:

Dat3C2TUwAEqqjH.jpg:large

This is an MGCD Dreamcast Jamma adapter. It was only ever sold to arcade distributors in japan, and only by mail. The idea was that it was a cheap alternative to buying a Naomi arcade cabinet. Where a Naomi might cost thousands of dollars excluding the cabinet itself, a dreamcast in those days could be bought for like $100. And since many Naomi titles came to the dreamcast as essentially perfect ports (since Naomi 1 was basically a dreamcast with just more ram), these kits could get you something that feels like a real deal Jamma cabinet at a fraction of the cost.

Dat20hgVAAAW8fh.jpg:large

Inside you see it's actually a stock Japanese Dreamcast secured by a harness that feeds into a small conversion board. That conversion board takes the signal from the dreamcast and converts it into RGB appropriate for JAMMA. The board also provides power through the jamma harness, and feeds the DC buttons into the jamma harness.

There is, in fact, a bug with the harness, though. I suspect these might have, at one point, been supplied with their own cabinets because the harness isn't actually JAMMA compatible. They cut some voltage lines running to the harness to wire up extra buttons, it seems.

My cabinet is actually JAMMA compatible, but has extra kickharness slots for extra buttons (i.e. I don't rock the so-called JAMMA+ "standard" or the NeoGeo JAMMA standard). So, in order to get all this fully working, I'll need to chop up a JAMMA harness and built a custom kickharness. Both of which should be extremely simple (I have spare JAMMA fingerboards laying around anyways).

Dat3Z-uU8AEOD3b.jpg:large

The front of the converter has a row of dipswitches. These are to change which game it's compatible with. In all, it's compatible with about 75-100 games, mostly ones that appeared on the Naomi or similar arcade games. The machine has hardware that monitor's the dreamcast's video signal, and thus can detect specific screens in games. The way it all works is that the system is basically a gen lock that provides an overlay onto your TV screen to display coin count. If the coin count is 0, then it'll lock the controls so you can't start the game. If the machine detects a game over screen, it'll reduce the coin count -- it's programmed to identify specific game over screens according to the dip switches.

If you play a game that it doesn't recognize, there is a general setting that will instead operate on a timer, where each quarter will grant an amount of time to play, up to 256 minutes per quarter. A timer will display on screen.

In all, pretty swank. I have a JAMMA cabinet all ready to go, I just need to make the appropriate mods on the hardware to get it wired up, then I can enjoy some Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 18 Wheeler American Trucker on my actual arcade cabinet.

These things are super uncommon and documentation on them is really sparse. Really glad to have one.

Here's a screenshot of it running from some dude on youtube:

X5T3odw.jpg

His screen is oriented vertically for TATE games so it looks wonky as he's trying Virtua Tennis. You can see the gen lock on screen reporting "04" which means 4 credits have been inserted.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
A few notes:

The Zip Drive was manufactured and the hardware worked. It was shown off at GDC.

SEGA had a hobbyist devkit option planned (hook a retail unit to a PC), but that died when the console did.

The original Japanese model had vapor heat pipes for cooling.

The launch commercial was great. It's thinking.

Linux on the DC was surprisingly useful if you mounted storage via a remote Samba share.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
There are also Optical Drive Emulators for the Dreamcast to replace faulty lasers:

maxresdefault.jpg

s-l400.jpg
Oh, I've been really interested in these, but I hear trying to get one is such a pain that people are basically like "Just buy the bootleg."

I'd need to find a way to rip my discs though, because apparently only a select few PC optical drives will read DC discs, and I think I read somewhere that transferring it over via a network cable takes like... forever long (honestly it's been so long since I've looked into this I might be getting it confused with dumping Wii U games, although that didn't take t"oo long").

Whoa, this is rad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That whole GBA link cable stuff Nintendo was huge on for a while?

UHEk6Qv.png

There was also a homebrew GP32 link solution that never released for the obvious reasons:

5Db8uL7.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd need to find a way to rip my discs though, because apparently only a select few PC optical drives will read DC discs, and I think I read somewhere that transferring it over via a network cable takes like... forever long (honestly it's been so long since I've looked into this I might be getting it confused with dumping Wii U games, although that didn't take t"oo long").

These days DreamShell has an application that can rip a GDRom straight to the SD Card adapter (serial port, not GDEmu).

May 10, 2019
!!e!T9lgBmM~$(KGrHqEOKisE0oFnFdNcBNP2oS)L-g~~_1.JPG

Loved this system and Phantasy Star Online with friends just made me love it even more. Really was a sad day when Sega killed this system.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
These days DreamShell has an application that can rip a GDRom straight to the SD Card adapter (serial port, not GDEmu).
Oh neat. I didn't know something like Dreamshell existed, and these serial port SD card adapters don't look expensive on ebay. Thanks!

Sorry to bother, but is there any good reason to get an optical disc emulator if you can just run the disc images from the serial SD card adapter?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what I need? A list of top Dreamcast games that are still exclusive to the system, or where the Dreamcast version is still the best version.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This trailer is 90s af , but it got me hyped as kid. It sounded like something from the fkin future.