Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Battle_Arena_Toshinden_PSX_cover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

battle-arena-toshinden-05.png

toshinden1-screenshot.jpg

When I was younger, a good friend gave this game to me. It ended up becoming one of my most played games. Loved the character designs, stages, and the way it played. Ring outs was another feature I was fascinated with in those times.

The series has an interesting history. Started out as a PS1 exclusive dubbed the "Saturn Killer", only to end up on the Saturn shortly after.

924_617c699f59e88.png

Earthworm Jim was in the PC version of the game.

MV5BNmQzNmFjZTMtYzMzMi00ZGVmLWFmNzctZDVkOTg3YTE4ZTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Interestingly enough, Capcom published the Arcade version of Battle Arena Toshinden 2.

Most of my experience is based on the 1st game. I played 2 and 3, but I didn't invest any real time into them. The 4th game felt like a game from a completely different series.

I wouldn't mind seeing this rereleased down the line, though I know it seems unlikely.

zanna

Banned
Dec 10, 2022
I enjoyed it as a young lad

/cue this websites favorite pastime - port/remaster begging

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always confuse this series with the other fighting one that Square made. It was one-hit-kill from what I recall.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
One of the 2 games my brother and I bought with our launch PSX in 1995 (good lord). Loved it at the time, but it certainly didn't stick with me in any sense. Even then it was just "the fighting game with swords, kind of like Virtua Fighter but not as good." It sure had some charm of its own though, and was a fun button masher with friends.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Never played the games, but I know they were prolific for a hot minute. Is there fandom consensus on what the best one is?

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Loved them as a kid.

Recently got to play all of them with a game collector friend. And for anyone wanting to try them, uh.....stay away from 4 and the Wii one.

One through three, while a bit stiff, play alright. Was fun making set up combos with the bomb supers in 3.

Underappreciated OST.

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022
I only ever played it on the R-Zone in the 90s, which was I think the first "console" and game I ever owned, and it was really hard. That's all I remember.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
My very first 3D fighting game (tekken being #2) back on PS1. Extremely nostalgic for the first game, although I haven't played it in probably ~26 years or more.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I was starved for any home fighting game at the time so we played it...

...but even then we recognized it wasn't that good.

And now? For me at least? Literally unplayable. Hard pass.

Some fond memories though!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first one quite a bit, mostly for the novelty of it being a 3D fighting game at home, but spent the vast majority of the rest of the generation with other series, most of which were 2D fighting games on Saturn (although I did also play quite a bit of the Tekken and DOA series on PS1). It just wasn't a very good game, but there wasn't much else at the time.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have an opinion on it. I know there's Earthworm Jim, I know there's a Wii game which barely resembles the rest, I know there's an anime. I have no thoughts or feelings about this knowledge, however.

My understanding is that Toshinden is just kind of a weird thing that happened because of the gaming industry at the game being obsessed with 3D being the only valid form that a game can take.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I played this a hell of a lot with my parents and loved it. Haven't played it since the PS1 days though!

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
even as someone who was burned by the saturns launch pricetag, i never got the hype - it looked like another forgettable early 3d fighter

then tekken 2 dropped and it was over for these games

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
even as someone who was burned by the saturns launch pricetag, i never got the hype - it looked like another forgettable early 3d fighter

People were sprung on the 3D graphics at the time. I remember the reviews praising the graphics, ignoring that it played like ass

BAT 2 is good at least.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The original was a launch game so it got a ton of play. As soon as other, better games came out I quickly forgot about it.

It was fun for the time though.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was super into the first, as one of my Day 1 Playstation games. There was a lot of hype (from Sony) because it made the launch. It was fun, for a while, but it's not a very deep game. It did show off the Playstation's 3D capabilities pretty well, though, especially since the sideways dodging is critical in that game, much more so than Tekken or Virtual Fighter.

But even so, once Tekken arrived, Toshinden was forgotten. I know it hung around with some sequels, but I didn't care, and I never got the impression anyone else did, either.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I had no intention whatsoever of buying a Playstation. Oh, big corporation Sony thinks they can compete with Nintendo and Sega, even though they know nothing about video games. Pfft, it's going to be the CDi and the 3DO all over again. Then one day in the summer of 1995 I went into Toys R Us, probably to buy a game for my Saturn which was still pretty new at the time, and there was a Playstation kiosk set up with some playable demos. I walked up and a kid was playing Toshinden. I thought it looked like a generic fighting game with kinda neat 3D graphics, and then the little old man character (Fo? Fu?) conjured his big magical translucent purple ball and whoa! There's something you don't see every day. I waited for the kid to finish and then stepped up and played the demos for Jumping Flash and Wipeout, and that's when I decided to buy a Playstation. I grabbed a pre-order voucher and paid for it along with whatever Saturn game I got that day.

When launch time came around a few weeks later, Jumping Flash and Wipeout were still a couple of months from release. There wasn't really any other launch game I wanted much, so with a shrug I bought a copy of Toshinden. I went home and set up the Playstation, popped in Toshinden and played it for a couple hours, was taken aback by how sucky and unfun it was, and pretty much forgot about my Playstation again until Jumping Flash finally hit retail, and then Wipeout. Jumping Flash and Wipeout man, now THOSE were video games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My friends and I had fun going back to them and messing around, but they're no SC or Tekken

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
The first two were good for their time. Quickly fell out of relevancy once better games like Tekken 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Soul Edge, and Dead or Alive came out or got home ports. They're in a weird space where they're 3D but kind of play like 2D games. Feels like shit lol.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bwx01foVgI

Some real bangers on the soundtrack though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It was a graphical showcase that had very little going for it other than the graphics, which were very quickly surpassed by games that looked and played much better.

After the first game it felt like one of those series that continued to get made because the first game sold well due to circumstances that were entirely unrepeatable, with the publisher being unable to accept that.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I straight up hated them when the novelty of 3d wore off. Hated how my characters felt when they move and it felt so bad to play. Toshinden 2 was at least a much better and more responsive game than the first but I just didn't jive with how those games played overall. Soul Edge/Tekken/VF pretty much killed those games to me.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
I loved the series as a kid, but I slowly started realizing how mediocre the gameplay was as I got older. I remember importing the 4th one and immediately regretting it after playing it for about 15 minutes...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot that Masami Obari was involved with Toshinden. Unfortunately they made the amateur mistake of having him draw people.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah this was me. Enjoyed Battle Arena Toshinden 2 when I didn't know any better. Tekken 2 dropped, I felt like I was playing the future, never played a BAT game again.

May 26, 2018
An interesting artifact with good-bad 90s cheese music and funny voices. Played it quite a bit as a kid and unlocked all the secrets, but it's not a good game. Tekken 100% ate its lunch and for good reason.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
The first two were good for their time. Quickly fell out of relevancy once better games like Tekken 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Soul Edge, and Dead or Alive came out or got home ports. They're in a weird space where they're 3D but kind of play like 2D games. Feels like shit lol.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bwx01foVgI

Some real bangers on the soundtrack though.

This is my favorite from the OST.

I only played the first... Actually bought it off of Amazon a year or two ago.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this brings back memories. I think I enjoyed the games well enough but if I remember correctly the controls weren't particularly good and it was a struggle to do special moves

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The games play like shit but the OST are fucking GODLY

On mobile so lazy to post examples but trust me on this, Toshinden 2 OST is magic

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those series' I always wanted to get growing up and eventually never bothered, even when I was browsing retro game stores and picking up copies of PS1 games on the cheap.