• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't grow up in the UK then chances are you haven't seen one of these computers in real life. It was overshadowed by other systems like the Commodore Amiga and IBM PC, and didn't have a huge number of good exclusive games, but it has enough cool stuff to intrigue me.
arch.jpg

Various models were released between 1987 and 1992. I'm not going to talk about each one but the wiki gives a list, and some later models don't use the Archimedes name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes1

This was powerful hardware in the late '80s. It had a 32-bit RISC processor and was able to handle 3d graphics well for its time. For the system's launch, the technological showpiece was Lander, a demo of a polygon shooter unlike anything the home market had seen before. The full game was released under the name Zarch. It's a cool game but the controls take some getting used to. It was later ported to other computers as Virus and spawned imitators like Zeewolf and modern remakes.
zarch.png

Zarch was followed by another title using the same engine, a tank action game called Conqueror. Both Zarch and Conqueror were developed by David Braben of Elite fame. And speaking of Elite, the Archimedes got a remake of it in 1991. Space sim/trading games aren't my cup of tea (and as groundbreaking as the original was I think it kind of overshadows its arguably more impressive contemporary, FTL Software's SunDog: Frozen Legacy) but the Archimedes remake has gotten a lot of praise from fans with many considering it the best version.

Another game I consider ahead of its time is Software 42's Ixion from 1992. That was a huge year for first-person games on PC because of id's Wolfenstein 3D and Blue Sky's Ultima Underworld. Ixion may not have the notoriety of those (and doesn't hold up as well) but like them, it was a like a glimpse into the future. It was a smooth scrolling, 3d FPS/Adventure game with open-ended design. It had vehicles you could enter, both indoor and outdoor environments, and NPCs to talk to. It continued on the foundation laid before it by companies like Novagen, Incentive Software, and Bethesda.
ixion.png

Ixion has no relation to the unreleased Sega arcade game with the same name. Sega's influence is noticeable in an earlier Archimedes game, though. The Fourth Dimension's E-Type was a driving game very much in the vein of OutRun. I found its mouse controls awkward but for a home racing game from 1989, the graphics are impressive, very smooth.

It was also available on older Acorn computers and got a sequel on Archimedes in 1994.

A bunch of Fourth Dimensions' games were made by Gordon J. Key. He followed up E-Type with a polygon F1 racer in 1990 called Powerband and also made a 3d shooter called Apocalypse that year.

One of the most well known Archimedes shooters was Starfighter 3000, a free-roaming, mission-based 3d game. It was remade a couple years later for 3DO, DOS, Playstation and Saturn but by then it had a lot more competition and so those versions never stood out as much. I prefer the visual style of the Archimedes version anyway.
starfighter.jpg

By 1995, consoles (and current PCs) were doing some really impressive 3d stuff so the Archimedes didn't stand out much. Ixion co-creator Tom Cooper was still supporting the platform, though (although he was soon hired by Psygnosis/Sony). Published by Eclipse, DarkWood was a colourful 3d action-adventure before they had become mainstream.
darkwood.png

So far I only mentioned 3d stuff but there were plenty of 2d games on the system. Tom Cooper made a lot of cartoony Archimedes games but the one that stood out the most for me is Hamsters. On the surface it just looked like another one of the millions of '90s mascot platformers but the gameplay wasn't so typical. It's hard to explain but both attacking and jumping are done with the same hammer swinging move. If an enemy's there, you'll crush it. If just the ground is there, you'll flip when your hammer hits it causing you to jump so positioning is important. I'm not fond of the premise which is smashing the guts out of innocent animals before the time runs out but it was an addictive game.
hamsters.png

Superior Software's Technodream (1993) was inspired by R-Type.
technodream.jpg

It's a late budget release (from around 2000) but I really want to try Overload. The publisher's website is long gone so I'm having trouble finding the demo or game to try. It looks like an awesome take on Rare's Jetpac series, Lunar Jetman especially.
overload.gif

Another game that fascinates me is the remake of the 1987 System 3 classic The Last Ninja. Previous ports stuck close to the visual style of the original Commodore 64 game but the rare 1992 Archimedes version by Superior Software looked completely different despite keeping the 3/4 isometric perspective. The graphic detail was way higher. I thought it looked great but it's just not the signature Last Ninja visual style not to mention it has an inferior (but still decent) new soundtrack. The lack of joystick support (as far as I can tell) ruined the controls for me. It was just an odd version of the game.
last-ninja.gif

Unlike The Last Ninja, the majority of ports on the system stuck closely to their source materials, for example: Alone in the Dark, Flashback, and Lemmings.
alone.jpg

flash.png

lemmings.png

More of AcornGamez's videos of Archimedes games can be found here -
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rngamez&page=51

Last edited:

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Both the junior & secondary schools I attended ONLY had BBC Micros & Archimedes and I loved them both.

I remember going to a place called Kingswood Computer Camp under the pretense that we'd be doing computer stuff. Nope, the fuckers made us do a shit ton of physical exercise and assault courses. My one memory of that trip is that I caught a glimpse of some bastard playing lemmings on an Archimedes through a window.

Bah! School in the 80s/90s was weird.

RabbidPeach

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England
My primary school teacher used to use Zarch as a reward for finishing your work early.

Fond memories of flying that near-uncontrollable ship.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to a place called Kingswood Computer Camp under the pretense that we'd be doing computer stuff. Nope, the fuckers made us do a shit ton of physical exercise and assault courses. My one memory of that trip is that I caught a glimpse of some bastard playing lemmings on an Archimedes through a window.

Wait, so why was it called computer camp? Did you do anything with computers or at least math, or something?

Never had one, but ofcourse as a hardware nut...
Alive was a scene mag focussed on Acorn demo's: http://alive.atari.org/alive5/archdemo.php, http://alive.atari.org/alive5/rpc.php
There is a scene: http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=Acorn
Also, one of the other other famous games is Eternal Destiny: http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/Destiny/, http://www.acornarcade.com/forums/viewthread.php?newsid=1043

(Destiny later would appear as a GBA title made with the Deltaadvance Engine by Torus Interactive i believe)
EDIT: Just realized that Eternal Destiny isnt an Archimedes game but a RiscPC one.. Whoops!

OP, you should also add the RiscPC and the StrongARM stuff. Those things were great in the early 3D space. Really appreciate the 2D stuff tho! It shows how good the Archi could be!

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love reading these school anecdotes. I'm on the other side of the Atlantic so it's very different from the classroom stuff I grew up with.

Aur

Oct 27, 2017
Nevryon was the original game (prequel) to Technodream and pretty awesome, but the GOAT on the Archi has to be Chocks Away arcade action flight simulator featuring Tiger moth bi-planes vs. German Fokkers.

I still feel sad that the sequel Spitfire Fury never got a release (AFAIK).

Before Starfighter 3000 there was Stunt Race(r) 2000 with physics defying leaps and loops. Spent many hours racing that wedge of a car.

I could reminisce on the subject for hours; good times indeed :-)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I dodged a bullet. My parents were going to buy me an Archimedes for Christmas until the chap in the computer shop advised them to get me an Amiga 1200 instead. Phew! That was an amazing Christmas.

That said, I spent a lot of time on BBC Micros and Acorn Archimedes at school. Whilst the Archimedes sucked for gaming (let's be honest), they were definitely ahead of their time in every other way. From the OS to the RISC processor, it was doing Windows better than Windows was at that time.

Also does anyone remember LOGO drawing language and the LOGO drawing robot accessory? That was lots of fun.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wow great to see someone posting the Tom Cooper games. All the Fourth Dimension(?) games seemed ahead of their time to me - Chocks Away, Stuntracer 2000 and Starfighter.

We had Interdictor 2 and Chocks Away at school to play during 'free time'. Also played Iron Lore in lessons.

I think some of the late Risc PC games that never released made it onto other platforms. Iron Dignity and Tek or something?

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An hour long Archimedes talk came out yesterday. The technical stuff goes over my head but it's still cool that it's being talked about.