IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Callopsis volkensii

metalfan

A friend of mine gave me a start of this plant about 12 years ago. I have 2 pot full now. She didn;t know what it was. She thought it was some rare miniature anthurium. But its really a Callopsis. It isn't in bloom at the moment but gets very small white anthurium-looking spathe and spadix flowers. I was reading about it and it comes from West Africa from forests at elevation of about 2500 feet. Could this be why mine always seems to look a little stressed? Does it not really like being at sea level?

IMG_2076.JPG

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

I got one of these way back can't remember when ("shrouded in the mists of time"). It was supposed to be an Anthurium, although that didn't seem likely. Later found out it was Callopsis volkensii but information about it is as rare as hen's teeth. I've never seen mine flowering. It's in the same pot as an Anchomanes difformis which does flower.

One of the main difficulties with tropical montane forest plants is that they have evolved in an environment with little temperature change, neither very hot nor very cold. And usually constant high humidity. If lowland areas don't get too cold for them they usually do get too hot. Conversely, if the lowlands area doesn't get too hot, it usually gets too cold. Lowlands climates are often fairly extreme for montane plants.

This is mine, you can see a small Anchomanes leaf emerging between the Callopsis leaves.

ptn18082501.jpg.a77d7efcfe99d137a11badca

Yes mine used to bloom more frequently when it was getting regular water and fertilizer (like now LOL maybe it will bloom soon), I believe that volkensii is the sole member of the genus Callopsis. The leaves do sort of resemble Anthurium radicans or A. dresslerii but the stems are totally different. Also new leaves on those Anthuriums come out red, these never exhibit red coloration. I keep the temps in the greenhouse pretty stable, of course I can;t heat it to a nighttime low or 75-78 which is our usual night time low here from about May-September. But even on cold days (sometimes when the high might be 55 instead of 65-75) here the GH manages to stay warm without much heat in the daytime when its closed up. Its so humid here now its like you are breathing water, in the winter I think my pond and stream in the greenhouse help keep the moisture up a bit but of course nowhere near summer conditions. I do a lot of misting in winter.

This is some Anthurium radicans (or it may be radicans x dresslarii) I am propagating from 2 large containers I have of this. I don't remember which it is because I used to have both the species and the cross but of course usual sob story tags got lost. These have just had new leaves come out, they were a lot redder at first but are now moving through bronze to green. These leaves do sort of resemble the Callopsis

IMG_2097.JPG