IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tillandsia krukoffiana flowering, one of the largest species

Eric in Orlando

Our Tillandsia krukoffiana is flowering. This is one of the largest Tillandsia species and is native to NW Bolivia. I'm not sure how cold hardy it is. It has produced a few pups which we are growing in the greenhouse and will try some outdoors.

img_1202.jpg

img_1201.jpg

img_1203.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Impressive!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Eric,

I am highly interested in obtaining one of these......any interest from your end?

Thanks,

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Perhaps the finest looking example I've seen grown. Well done Eric! An uncommon occurence (but not unheard of) in that it produced pups as this is a monocarpic species. It grows at approximately 500 metres.

"It is worth noting that T. krukoffiana (= var. krukoffiana) is not listed for Peru. It grows far down in Bolivia on the eastern slopes of the Andes in the warm and humid southern Yungas as a terrestrial. The var. piepenbringii, on the other hand, grows in the dry and semidesert region of the western slopes of the Andes. The distance between the type and the variety is more than 2,000 km. Further research with more material may be needed to determine if this variety can be advanced to species status."

Eric, you are lucky. Mine flowered this year too and no pups :( . It handled the cool winter soils here in SoCal. when I get home from Moab I will post pics.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It had just a few pups at the base, maybe half an inch across. We have had Vriesea imperialis do this also but almost all the pups do not grow and die off after awhile.

This plant was recently donated by a major local bromeliad grower.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Those tiny, skinny offsets are what are known as 'hair pups'. Removing and raising these tiny plants to maturity is often problematic and too time consuming. They differ from a normal pup in that they are found deep down on the stem underground. This is so that in the wild, after the plant has flowered and starts to die back, these hair pups are the last vestiges of the survival of that plant. They wait until the stem has rotted almost to ground level to start the growing process. If you notice them on a large Tillandsia-type bromeliad they seem to reach a certain size then suddenly stop growing, unlike a normal pup. Only when the mother plant starts to fade do they kick it up a notch, and then only the strongest will remain to carry on that plant's lineage.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting, I never knew that. Thanks for the information !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I thought that looked like yours Len...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here is mine. I looked again and no pups. I think I will cut the flower and let it sit there for a year and see if any pups emerge.

post-649-0-61777500-1351645042_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Same here!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Very similar to Alcantarea odorata in the pupping...tough to get them going. I managed one pup to take on mine and lost about ten, but since my specimen died, I now have a nice 15" plant growing that will replace the one dying. My attempt at sowing the seeds was negative. I tried though :-)) G~

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 1 year later...

Well, patience paid off. Just today I looked and what did I see? Two of these over a year after flowering. So glad I held onto this to see if it would eventually pup.

post-649-0-80084200-1384413167_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Well, patience paid off. Just today I looked and what did I see? Two of these over a year after flowering. So glad I held onto this to see if it would eventually pup.

:greenthumb: good going

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B