Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulbinabox

Start of the 2020/ 2021 Hippeastrum season!

bulbinabox
3 years ago

Hello everyone,

As the days get darker and shorter, I thought to start a new thread to brigten up these grey days.

First on the line is Harlequin, a relible rebloomer for me

Comments (144)

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

She's beautiful 🤗 I got the same order as you but I forgot what this one was called.

• catsandhippies
    3 years ago

Vlad, I would try to self Naughty Lady and put Papilio and/or Cybister (Chico?) on the other flower. Cybister for your Tropicana too, I would say. Maybe Chico and Mystica?

Donna, your Sonatini is really beautiful! The shape is more interesting than on Eyecatcher.

• bulbinabox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did marry her with Chico and Mystica, fingers crossed

• liuyq
    3 years ago

some Hippeastrum hybrid

of my friend from China

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness, where to start!! All beautiful of course..

The first looks like a red version (sort of) of Exotic Star; the third one I'd just like to reach through the screen and grab it!!

Numbers 5 and 6 have the green throat I so love! They're all beautiful.

Thanks for sharing these as it appears that not many of us have much blooming at present!!

Donna☺

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How absolutely beautiful :-)))) Can you tell us their names? Thank you for posting your beautiful collection. Where are you located?

• haweha
    3 years ago

These DIPloids look very good. I submit my very compliments, from Germany.

• liuyq
    3 years ago

Fred

Thank you,they are all first flows,no name yet.

• liuyq
    3 years ago

yes,they are all DIPloid,ther parents are all DIPloid,like papilio,mandonii,glaucescens,Garasu Zaiku.and so on.

• liuyq
    3 years ago

Donna

the green throat,I like too,they are all mandonii hybrid.

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

I got this first bulb labeled as Hippeastrum aulicum stenopetalum last spring. It came virused, but I kept it isolated in hopes to use the pollen on my other aulicum specimens. It definitely looks like Hippeastrum Striatum to me. I'm not too upset as I love striatums and will use the pollen, but I will have to discard specimen after collecting seed if it takes

Below is my favorite striatum specimen that is currently blooming as well:

Last, but not least, I have a first time Hippeastrum nelsonii blooming. I got it from an Ebay seller last spring as a 2-year seedling. This has been a very vigorous plant. Hopefully it comes true., things are looking promising:

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

Will,
    I can't wait to see your nelsonii!!!! I've been growing mine for a few years and just this year the bulb has bulked up enough to bloom. Keep us posted 😁😁😁

3 years ago

lluyq, Your flowers are lovely especially the first one which reminds me of Green & Saturn which is one of my favorites! ☺☺ Donna

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

Hippeastrum nelsonii is beginning to open tonight. It looks like it is true to the seller's description.

Fred,

I am quite surprised that it is already blooming. The bulb is barely over 2" in diameter. However, the vegetative growth is quite vigorous as you can see in the second picture. It must love the eastern exposure with the old single pane window and the cooler winter temperatures. This corner of the house hovers around 60 degrees F (15.5 C) this time of year.

• HU-21002277
    3 years ago

Will, as you are most likely aware, it has been published that pollen from a virus-ed plant may still transfer virus to your clean specimens. I would not advise using this lovely Striatum plant of yours to pollinate your other aulicums, unless of course your aulicums are already virus infected themselves.

Although, doing the reverse is okay. It would not matter if you used pollen from your aulicums to fertilize this Striatum, and then collect the subsequent seed. Having grown hundreds of seedlings from virus infected parent plants, I have not had a single case of virus transference through seed.

Julie

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

Julie, thanks for the advice. I have been trying to get my collection 100% clean before I open up to sharing. Many of my favorite bulbs have been thrown out in the past year. Previously I had ignored the virus as a problem because no other plants in the garden ever displayed symptoms and the infected plants continued to grow and bloom well. My plan now is to get the collection 100% symptom free and then send in some samples for virus testing.

I have read a fair amount of scientific articles on virus horizontal transmission (plant to plant) and vertical transmission (through seed). It seems that most if not all of the viruses transmitted through pollen also transmit to seedlings at a fairly high rate. However, virus transmission by pollen varies by the virus and host species, so it is hard to say what is possible and what is not. Especially when there is not a ton of easily accessible information on the subject in relation to Hippeastrum. Unfortunately, Hippeastrum seem to be susceptible to practically every version of mosaic virus. Most of us are not aware of what virus/viruses specifically cause mosaic in our plants, but I don't know of anyone observing virus transferring through seed in Hippeastrum, so I had taken the risky assumption that using the pollen from infected plants would be safe on clean mother plants.

Julie, you bring up a great point and I will not be going the risky route moving forward. Fortunately, I have only made one pollination this year with infected pollen to a clean mother plant. Hopefully the clean H. striatum mother plant will remain clean. My H. aulicums are not in harms way 👍

Time to forget the dreaded mosaic virus and get back to the positive tone of this thread.

Today's pic of H. nelsonii in the morning sun.

3 years ago

Hi Will,

Your nelsonii is lovely!! I did have one several years ago (it has since died) and at the time I had great success with pollinations on her and also with her pollen on others. I currently have a pot with about 5 nelsonii x papilios that are about the size of golf balls which has retained its label. The others I may have here and there but during summers I have an ongoing battle with chipmunks that just love to remove labels.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with her, looks like you've got lots of good pollen to work with!!

nelsonii x papilio

nelsonii x Exotic Star

Deja Vu x nelsonii

#0016 x nelsonii

Chico x nelsonii

These all produced viable seeds. The only one I'm not sure of is Chico but I know I have seedlings of the rest of them around here somewhere!

Donna☺

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

Hey Donna,

Much thanks for the list of possibilities. That's sad to hear that you lost your H. nelsonii. I have always wondered what my 'Exotic Star' could have compatibility with. The only two partners I have found so far are 'Terra Cotta Star' and 'Evergreen' and that was after at least 50 failed crosses. My plan is to check the H. nelsonii for self compatibility and also attempt to pollinate it with H. striatum I have blooming beside it. I figure they bloomed together for a reason. I'll save the pollen and hope H. nelsonii works well as the pollen donor for H. papilio, 'Exotic Star', and others. I assume you are listing the Pod parent first in you crosses

3 years ago

Yes, pod parent first. Nelsonii made two huge seedpods for me chock full of good seeds!!

Good luck!

• catsandhippies
    3 years ago

So many beautiful flowers and crosses!!! Thank you for sharing your Nelsonii experiences (and pictures!) with us, Donna and Will. I know now that I will keep my bulb on the eastern window after repotting and hope for flowers maybe next year.

I have some blooms too:

H. striatum enjoying some spring sun

A group of Pink Rascal x Emerald seedlings. They are all in the same pot and there will be a fourth seedling blooming soon.

I like #3 best. It has also the biggest flowers.

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

They're so beautiful 🤗🤗🤗

• bulbinabox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anja, I love the petals on the 3rd one!

New baby, any name suggestions please?

3 years ago

Anja, they're all beautiful but I seem to be drawn to # 3 also due to the way it looks like a hanging split bell; very graceful!

Vlad, lovely freckles on this one!

I found a bud the other day, Rembrandt van Rijn but it's only up about 1/2 inch...

• catsandhippies
    3 years ago

Vlad, I love the freckles too but you have to tell us the parents! Is the flower fully open already on the first picture?

• haweha
    3 years ago

I suspect "Cybister [American] Emerald" parentage.

• liuyq
    3 years ago

Some mandonii hybrid.

• liuyq
    3 years ago

• liuyq
    3 years ago

Hippeastrum yungacensis Hybrid

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

OMG they are absolutely stunning 💞💞💞 Mandonii and Yungacense are one of my absolute favorites and their offspring are to doe for 😁😁😁

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

I meant to write "to die for" 😁😁😁

• Blossom (Zone 10a)
    3 years ago

Hi! I'm new to posting, but I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now. :)

This is my first season growing amaryllis. I'll share one of my favorites. The bulb was mislabeled Blossom Peacock when I bought it. I think it is actually Double Dream(?)

3 years ago

Hi, I do think it is Double Dream, a real beauty isn't it!!

Donna

• haweha
    3 years ago

My lot of "PapDon1" and "Melusine" - yes, the genuine, iow not RvR

3 years ago

Lucky you.. to have such a family of Melusines, and your family of PapDon1 is gorgeous too!!

But I feel lucky to have an RvR which is to me is second best to Melusine!

Donna

What's the cybister lurking in the back?

• haweha
    3 years ago

It was one that "was suddenly there" when I replanted "PapDon1" and "Giraffe". As far as I can tell, it looks like a "Jungle Star", the "Improved Papilio", THEN. Btw, while we are just being AT IT: There is, also, three florets of "Giraffe" lurking above the Cybister bloom.

• Cindy
    3 years ago

Three years ago I was given a Hippeastrum bulb and have separated them each year. Over 6 months, I have had the bulbs re-flowering 3 times! The current bulb has 5 flowers on one stem.

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

H. 'Exotic Star' is one of my favorites. Here it is under in the natural morning sun and then again in the ring light

and some Crocus and Narcissus blooming in the spring garden among the speedwell

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

Will,
    They're beautiful 🤗🤗🤗

3 years ago

Will,

Exotic Star is one of my favorites also. Easy to grow and multiplies well and then there are those gorgeous to die for flowers!!

Last fall we moved many hydrangeas to our fenced in area to protect them from deer and filled each hole with daffodils, each hole got a different kind. I've got lots to look forward to this spring. We had a few left around the yard from about 25 years ago when we planted them all around but it was time for a new infusion! We've got a real problem with deer; just this morning there were 6 large bodies just staring at my husband as he tried to presuade them to move on..like a herd of horses he said. :-((

Cindy,

Your lovely flower looks like Blossom Peacock! I had one many years ago but it did finally die. They should be fragrant is yours?

Donna☺☺

• jstropic (10a)
    3 years ago

OMG, just caught up with this thread. So, so many gorgeous flowers!!!! So wonderful that everyone is sharing the results of different breeding as well as the gorgeous pics!

Cindy, did you say the same bulb flowered 3 times in 6 months - that is one special bulb!!

3 years ago

This has been an extremely lean year for flowers for me but at last I have an RvR bloomimg her heart out! A rebloomer with 4 flowers, I love her!

Donna☺☺

• Fred Biasella
    3 years ago

Donna,
    Your RvR is gorgeous 😍 I never realized that it had such a beautiful green throat and that's a feature I absolutely love 💘

• Cindy
    3 years ago

Yes Donna, it flowered 3 times in 6 months. I too am surprised since our weather in NE Vic Au is so terribly hot and water is scarce as we are on tank water. Despite constant watering, the ground is still dry and dusty. Don't know where the water goes. However, I never give up on the vegetation!

3 years ago

Thanks Fred. It's actually a lovely cream with some green in it. I've seen pictures of some that are quite green with darker markings but I'm happy with mine.

Cindy, that was Jody! ;-) But I am certainly sorry you are battling drought! Last summer we had nearly the entire summer without rain in my neck of the woods, not pleasant to go through especially when just 50 miles or so north they had more rain than us. Good luck with the watering!

Donna☺☺

• Will McBrayer
    3 years ago

My papilio has produced a scape with three flowers. I have never had more than two flowers per scape on my papilios, but this was a nice surprise

The mini striatrum from Telos looking extra mini beside 'Amadeus Candy' and 'Blosom Peacock'

A great example of a confused 'Gervase'

3 years ago

Your 3 flowered papilio is amazing, I've never had more than just the two flowers! That's a lovely picture with the two scapes blooming at the same time! Congratulationsl!!

Love your mini striatum, it's adorable!! Gervase is a wonder isn't it, you never know what the colors will be, it's that box of chocolates of the hippeastrum world! All flowers are lovely!

Donna☺☺

• bulbinabox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My my my, so many beautiful blooms over here! How are you guys doing? I missed you! Been down lately, now I am a bit better.

My favorite cybister blooms again, La Paz

3 years ago

Lovely La Paz, a favorite of mine too!!

• bulbinabox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marula, in her glory

3 years ago

Your Marula is lovely much more colorful than mine was....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions