Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

C daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Some of my C daylilies had a questionable season. Two didn’t bloom, one under performed miserably because I moved it. Two more are getting shoveled out in the spring for repeated poor performances, hmmmm, room for a few new ones???

Today‘s quote is from Albert Einstein, will he hold up to Betty White? “ Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed.”

Here are my favorites Cs.

I think Claudine’s Charm is the favorites list for most of us.

Crystalline Entity has had its third? Season here. A good grower and a lovely pale pink.

Coast to Coast, the color saturation is different every day, this is probably typical, a consistent performer.

Ciel D’Orr is fairly new here. A simple bloom with color that grabs your attention.

Got Cherokee Star as a bonus last spring And it sent up a scape. The color is outstanding. This simple bloom will be staying.

I put a division of Chorus Line to help fill in a spot that was left from a dead shrub. Didn’t skip a beat.

Sherry

Comments (52)

• shive
    4 years ago

More C's

Chilled Orange Sorbet

Cretaceous Crunch had a good year.

Cary Grant

Coastal Grand is always a wonderful clump

Confessions of a Hemaholic

Coral Majority

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Sherry: What a great group of daylilies. I especially like Cherokee Star today....,..Chesapeake Crab Legs has a color I favor, and Debra: Carolina Pale Face always looks pretty. So many pale pinks, so little room..................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Claudine's Charm is beautiful Sherry, one of my favorites. I have not had it too long so not as big a clump as yours. Can't wait til it is though.

Debra, I love Confessions of a Hemaholic, is it new? I don't remember you posting it before, but my poor memory gets overwhelmed. Love Carolina Pale Face too.

Cameroons Twister

Cat's Cradle

Celtic Veins

Chance ENcounter

Choral Fantasy

Coral Majority

Clown Parade, still may be my very favorite daylily after so many years

Citrix

Christmas in Oz

Cosmic Odyssey

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

More

Christmas Tidings

Cameo Luster

Caribbean Eye Spy

Catherine Neal

Classic Caper

Complex Complexities

Color Fusion

Crazy Ivan

Caledonia

Claudine's Charm, was not going to post it since Sherry had such a nice picture but I could not resist

• shive
    4 years ago

Nancy - Confessions of a Hemaholic was new last year. It had short scapes and only 5-6 buds per scape. I hope it will improve next season. Clown Parade looks so much better in your garden than mine. I love Christmas in Oz and Complex Complexities.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s fine to post daylilies you’ve already seen here, it’s nice to see what they are like growing in other places.

Debra, Carolina Pale Face is outstanding, I know I’ve been drooling over its photos for While. I also love the color of Cary Grant, such a lovely reddish.

Nancy, I love your Citrix photo, don’t know why I haven’t added it here. Clown Parade looks great in your garden.

sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

For me , Einstein was bang on..... unfortunately ! Truer words were never spoken . I think he has Betty White beat with this quote.

Sherry Coast to Coast is not one I had seen/heard of before . What a pretty pretty bloom . Claudine's Charm was added here this past season . Can't wait till it is clump size like yours .....gorgeous! Ciel d'or appears to be the perfect mix of orange and yellow .

Laurie , dontcha just love Chesaoeake Crablegs? When I first started collecting daylilies , I think I got mine the second year . That was the year I discovered UF's and Spider forms and that daylilies came in different heights . What a newb I was !

Here are some of my C's

Chocolate Dude

This one actually is a chocolate color but very very difficult to capture in an image.

Love this one . It is Coral Majority

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Just posted two more groups of daylilies . They bounced . I guess there were too many people posting at the same time and Houzz's computer system couldn't handle it .and that is with adjustments made with the new program so not sure if I will post again . too much work to have it just disappear

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Signet, what is the name of the 2nd one, am I overlooking it? When I 1st looked I immediately thought Matthew Martin, but of course, wrong letter. Coral Majority does so well here too. I had been debating getting rid of it, not one of my favorite colors. It was probably the best bloomer in my garden last year and decided it will stay.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Signet, just try editing your current post, add the new photos, works for me. Lovin’ your Coral Majority.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

I have way too many 'C's it seems. I am sure it's not the only letter of the alphabet I have too many of....lol. I can't post them all, nor would anyone want me to, but these are the photos I found while looking:

CELEBRATE THE DAY

CELESTIAL BEAUTY

CASCO BAY DELIGHT

CASTLE CAMELOT

I'LL DO MY USUAL 4 PICS AT A TIME FOR EASE IN POSTING.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • celeste/NH
    4 years ago

CLOAK AND DAGGER

CARMEN RENEE

CRINTONIC RAIN DANCES

CAPACITY FOR WONDER

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

COUSIN SUZANNE

CLAIRVOYANT LADY

CINDY'S LACE

CONEY ISLAND

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

CAROLINA TWILIGHT

COURT TROUBADOUR

CHINESE WATER LILY

CERULEAN FRINGE

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

CAMEROONS

CLAUDINE'S CHARM (to show branching, with Court Troubadour behind it)

CREATURE OF THE NIGHT

CINNAMON SUNRISE

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Celeste, that big green throat on Carolina Twilight is great. Carmen Renee looks great in your garden, hope Brad posts his. Claudine’s Charm looks so different in your garden, that purple again!

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

SORRY....THERE ARE MORE....:)

CAROLYN HUNT

COBRASKIN NECKTIE

CATHERINE WOODBERY

CHICAGO CATTLEYA

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

CAT DANCER

CREEPY CRAWLER

CAROL'S GENTLE PRESENCE

CHANGING LATITUDES

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

CIRCUS PERFORMER

CASTLE PINKNEY

CLOWN PARADE

CHEDDAR CHEESE

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

So many lovely C's and I really like Christmas in Oz.

Here are some of our C's.

Cancun Candy was beautiful this year. I just wish my hand and that pine needle weren't in the picture.

Cardinal Explosion is a good grower. I just wish the eye were more intense.

I love the watermark on Carnal Emporium.

Carnosaur was new this season. I look forward to seeing it in the ground next season.

Cherry Top Hat is a nice flat daylily.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Lots of nice pictures Celeste, as usual. Of course I love all the purples. Chinese Water Lily has a very interesting look, and I always like that form of Cat Dancer

4 years ago

Chili Spice was nice this past season.

Colorful Chaos Nelli was new to the garden.

Continuum bloomed for the first time this summer. I'm not sure I lie the faded eye and it's not showing any applique. We'll see what it does next summer.

I love Crintonic in Living Color.

Crossfire is hard to photograph. It has a rich blackish overlay to the petals. It is also a late bloomer.

No list of C's would be complete without Curious Cutie.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Too many to make individual comments, but Celeste your picture of Cloak and Dagger is really interesting. That pattern and the greyed lavender color just zing me.......Nan: Curious Cutie is always a winner in my book..............Maryl

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Heather I always copy my posts before I hit submit. That way I just click paste until it goes through if I am having trouble. So far so good but last year around this time it was terrible.

I have way more Hosta than Daylilies so it really matters there. In case any of you are interested we are doing the Hosta Alphabet right now.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy, lovely color on Crossfire. I always like your photos of Curious Cutie, such a great bloom.

Sherry

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Nancy, like Sherry, I like Curious Cutie and Crossfire too. Crossfire made a nice bouquet for you!

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

So many nice ones, hard to pick any favorites. Of course Claudine's Charm is one of the best; Cancun Candy and Cat Dancer are so nice. I always like Carey Grant. And there's so many more. Question Celeste: how does Catherine Woodbury do for you? It was pretty but often didn't bloom much, and the sun really battered it., so I eventually & reluctantly got rid of it.

Carmen Renee clump [wind Frills in the background]

Castle Pinkney

Chance Encounter

Cherry Treat

Cherry Cheeks

Claws

Court Magician

Coral Majority

Christopher Russell

Ciel D'or

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • lilykate7a
    4 years ago

C does seem to be a popular naming letter! Wow! There are so many pretties in this bunch. Love them all!

I don’t make New Year’s resolutions but I do resolve this year to do a better job of organizing my photos!! I looked at my list and I have 58 C daylilies but photos not organized for these so will pick the ones that are!!

Charming Charlie is one I will always have.

Love the color on California Classic

more to come

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Yeah, I guess I got too cocky .. First post went without a hitch . I should have known better

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Carnival in Mexico was wonderful this year

Calamity Jane

Carnival in Mexico threw this amazingly huge fused bloom

a few more to come

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Houzz is only allowing three photos this morning for me.

Colby Coventry-colors are so intense on this

Christmas Snow-

Cowboys Don’t Cry-nothing spectacular about this one except it is a monster pod setter for the bees! Unbelievable how many pods I pick and throw from this one!

• shive
    4 years ago

Celeste - So many pretty ones! Chinese Water Lily is one I especially like that I hadn't seen before.

Kate - Christmas Snow looks fantastic! I hope it does well here.

Brad - The Carmen Renee clump looks fabulous!

Hoosier Nancy - I added Carnal Emporium last fall as a bonus from Curt. Has it performed well for you?

Debra

4 years ago

Debra, I think Carnal Emporium has done well. It's in a spot that a little shady, but we have no complaints. Curt Hanson's daylilies tend to do very well here.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brad, so glad to see Carmen Renee, it’s a lovely bloom!

Lilykate, Colby Coventry is eye popping, I don’t remember seeing in the past, glad you shared it with us.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Brad: I just can't help myself. Show me a Stamile pink and I'm in love. They sure had that color down pat. Chance Encounter is right up my alley. Christopher Russell has perfect form and a lovely color. Hadn't seen that one before..............Kate: I can usually spot a Maryott by its wonderful form. California Classic is a great example of a Maryott full figured gal. I wonder why we don't see more of his around? Great picture of Christmas Snow btw. Vivid rich red. Yum.............Maryl

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Debra, I hope Christmas Snow does well for you too! It actually is more of a red red than this picture shows-I think this was shade/cloudy morning when this one was snapped. I know I have another better photo but could not find when I was posting.

Maryl, I think we see few Maryotts because they probably do for others what they frequently do for me-they just eventually disappear. I have read some comments about that on this forum, I think. They start out great but gradually get smaller and smaller in clump size until they just give up the ghost! I have a few that have maintained their clump size but I have many more that I cannot even tell you where they are and if they have survived! So sad because I, too, like that full figured bagel form that his are known for displaying!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

That's interesting about Maryott Kate. I had a feeling that was it..........I have had the same situation with many of Frank Smith's gorgeous intros. I can't swear to it, but it seems to me the disappearing act usually occurs on Southern grown/hybridized daylilies, although not all of them of course. Maryott grew in a mild winter climate, so if a mild winter climate affects overall longevity then that may have contributed to the problem for those of us who grow them in more frigid winter conditions. It's a mystery to me and one I'd like to get a handle on. I guess I need to pay attention to the ones that seem to "grow backwards". Heck, it could be the genetics in all those ruffles, in which case I'd be very sad to hear it. ...............Maryl

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

The only Maryott cultivar that flourishes here is Incendiary. When I first started out, I bought dozens of the Maryott cultivars simply because they are pretty. I soon found out about 'shrinking fans'. I have reluctantly gotten rid of most of them over the years because they do not flourish in zone 4. I will always have Incendiary and even set loads of pods on it.

Brad, I have had Catherine Woodbury forever. In fact, this daylily is the first daylily I ever grew. My husband bought it when we first met because it has our last name, so I can never part with it. Yes, it's old fashioned and rather plain by today's standards but I have divided up the clump dozens of times over the years to give away and it always increases like a rabbit. This is a wonderful no-fuss daylily and rock hardy. I have divided and planted the fans in pots and then forgot about them and they over-wintered just fine like that. My main clump is planted in partial shade but still blooms well; not amazing in the bud count totals but lots of scapes. I haven't noticed any withering from the sun because of the shadiness of the site. The blooms are a bit delicate when there are pelting raindrops but I have no complaints about her. I even put pollen of Green Icon on her and the children are growing under lights right now!

• shive
    4 years ago

Kate - I agree about the Maryotts. A lot them are just not hardy. I grew California Classic for three years, and then last spring it just disappeared. Billy the Kidd and Born in California, seem hardy and are flourishing here, and Triple Delight and Euphoric multiply slowerly. But I've lost more than a dozen Maryotts over the years.

Debra.

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

And that is a shame, Debra, as he certainly hybridized some pretty ones. I have Billy the Kid, Born in California, Napa Valley Merlot, Private Reserve, Lovin’ Tennessee, and Pointed Perfection that are thriving (so far), especially Pointed Perfection but, like you, have lost many others. Poem of Ecstasy, which I really like, is not multiplying so it probably won’t last long. The consolation to that is that he sent them all as bonuses so moneywise I did not lose anything.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

I grow 118 "C" daylilies . These images are ones I was able to find quickly.

Here is Calgary Stampeded

and Canadian Border Patrol

Creature of the Night

Crossfire Hurricane

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Cat Bird Seat

Chance Encounter

Cat Dancer

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Love Cat Bird Seat and Creature of the Night Heather!

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Chokecherry Mountain

Cobraskin Necktie

• shive
    4 years ago

Nice ones, Heather!

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Heather, Cobraskin Necktie is one I've not seen before that is very pretty. Of course I like Chance Encounter. I'm going to have to get Cat Dancer. I've seen it for 5.00. Catbird Seat is nice too.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I have seen Cobraskin Necktie, but some time I was told it was not a good daylily. It always has appealed to me.

• shive
    4 years ago

I have Cobraskin Necktie, but it has not multiplied or bloomed well for me. It may just be it doesn't like the spot where I have it planted.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, Debra. I have been tempted by it, but guess I will pass. I will never have room for all I like