Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_gunter93

Can someone figure out what is wrong with this begonia?

Kelly Gunter
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is an Angel Wings Begonia that my mother recently received from a friend because the poor thing looked like it was dying and they didn't know what was wrong.

I think that the plant received too much direct sunlight (the light brown crinkled edges of the leaves). Other than that I have no idea how I could possible save this plant. So any ideas or helpful tips would be very much appreciated.

Comments (3)

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Did you mean to post a photo?

Just guessing, you may be overwatering it. They thrive outdoors but also do quite well indoors. The one thing I've found is I needed to cut back (Really Cut Back) on watering when they are indoors (I dribble some water on the surface so it may not even wet the entire surface area). All mine are in the basement in winter and outside in summer. Indoors when it is cold like it has been for the past week, the furnaces (two in the basement) run a lot and suck up a lot of moisture. Canes don't have a problem with lower humidity but they handle high humidity as well (outdoors).

Here are a few photos of some of my canes last month and this month.

This is Lucerna and my oldest cane (it goes back 40+ years). It hasn't done well in years because I neglect it and also overwatered it in the past. This is the first year it has bloomed in at least 3 to 4 years. It is showing a few spots of mildew but I hope the sulfur I applied last week will stop any more attacks.

five pots of Sophie in this tray and it is just receiving a little light by being next to a light stand.

Spotted Diana (the tiny white dots) is blooming quite a bit under an inexpensive shop light (it is in the same room as the two furnaces) The silver streaked leafed one is blooming too and its name is Down Home.

Dream Lover is blooming too despite very dim light

My own hybrid (Butch's Mac) is blooming right next to Dream Lover.

Esther Albertine is blooming as well

Dimitri is looking nice despite being between two light stands.

The best my Looking Glass canes have looked in years. I bottom water these for the most part. I noticed they seem to prefer being on the drier side so sometimes I almost hold off until I see some wilt.

A small glimpse of one corner of one room showing canes, rexes, and a big Freddie co-existing in a cramped area.

This is East Gate and is a strong grower but I've never seen it bloom. It is pushed into a corner in the same room as the two furnaces.

Kelly Gunter thanked hc mcdole
  • Kelly Gunter
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your advice is very helpful since the only type of plant I am used to taking care of is poinsettias. I posted some pictures of the begonia (can you not see them?) or at least that is what the tag in the pot says. I just received this plant yesterday and have done no watering or anything besides changing the soil since I was positive it had been over watered when I checked the soil of the pot and found it to be more liquid than solid. Should I check the roots for signs of root rot because of the severe over watering?

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Hi Kelly,

I see the photos today but not when I posted. That one looks like 'Don Miller' which is a mallet class of shrub begonia. Great grower in summer but a bit tricky in winter due to that type being mildew prone. Repotting is a good idea especially if it looked bad when you got it and it felt very wet. Right now it may need some water if the new potting mix was dry. Cut out any dead shoots and leaves and pick up any fallen leaves on the soil surface. One way to perk it up is to enclose it in a humid environment - some kind of stakes with a large baggie over it will serve as a temporary terrarium.

Since you already repotted it, did you see any signs of root rot? Did you rinse away the old mix or keep the root ball intact?

You can always cut the tops and put them in a glass of water to revive the cuttings. You can either leave them in water to root but if you do that monitor the water daily for cloudiness. To play it safe change the water every other day. OR after the tops perk up, put them in a pot of quality potting mix (bury at least one node but two is better), water lightly, and monitor them daily for wilt and water accordingly. Soon you will notice roots and a new pot of begonias is ready to move up at your convenience.

I cut all my big canes last winter (Dec 2016) and used clear drinking cups - cheap way to pot up many. This also allowed me to see the roots develop over the weeks.