Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate0012

Marshmallow Delight Rose

kate0012
7 years ago

This afternoon my husband took me to a new - and enormous - garden centre. I bought a slew of shrubs, plants, flowers and a rose that was on sale for £6. It is a Fryer's brand "Marshmallow delight". I've looked online and can't find an image of it. The image on the rose container is actually pink and the description says it's white (hence the name) so I have no idea what it looks like. At that price, I'm happy to take a risk but I'd feel better if I knew how it is meant to look. Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments (19)

• User
    7 years ago

This is the UK name for a Tantau rose called 'Pastella'... unfortunately, as I don't agree with this sort of thing, roses often change their names from country to country... still, it's a nice looking rose as you'd expect from Evers/Tantau...

[p.s. I fear Diane in Idaho, might want it... that right Diane??..]

'Pastella' on HMF

• vasue VA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Fryer's lists this but as Malorena says, it's an Evers/Tantau rose. http://www.grosvenorgardencentre.co.uk/fryer/product/518/marshmallow-delight.html 

Excellent reports on HMF - would love to try this one if available here. Great find & even better on sale! "Marshmallow Delight" strikes me as a very odd name for a lovely rose... Sue

• kate0012
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you both! I appreciate the help.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

I even have a luscious photo of Marshmallow Delight in my Tantau catalog. Unfortunately, Tantau will send me a catalog, but I just can't order from it. MD's official name is Bailondo, so you might check HMF for that name. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Haha, Marlorena. Yes, Diane does want it. But I don't think Marshmallow Delight is called Pastella. That is another rose I would like. Pastella is also called A Rose of Distinction. So confusing. Diane

• User
    7 years ago

hmmm... I might query that again Diane... where did you find that information about 'Bailando'? because it has a different TAN no.

On Fryer's site, the TAN no. for 'Marshmallow Delight' is TAN98130... you can see it on the link Vasue put up above for Grosvenor Garden Centre... if you search for that on HMF you get 'Pastella'.

'Bailando' has a different no.. TAN02100... so I can't see how that equates to 'Marshmallow Delight'...?

Whatever, either one would do for most of us I expect..

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Bailondo is the name given to Marshmallow Delight in the Tantau catalog. The photos of Bailondo on HMF match the photos of Marshmallow Delight aka Bailondo in the Tantau catalog. Pastella has a different look. Go to Tantau's site and get the info from them not Fryer, who I think has got the numbers mixed up. I'd advise getting a Tantau catalog which is free and has large, gorgeous photos of most all the Tantau roses.

• User
    7 years ago

Aah...OK

Thanks Diane..

I shall take a look..

• roseloverinsf
    7 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

I love this catalog which contains, in a single book, most of the roses I want. Thanks for posting this, roselover. Diane

• User
    7 years ago

Sigh. Now I want 'Bailando' as well as 'Pastella'.

Nanadoll -- does Tantau not ship to US? TIA

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Irisgal, Tantau doesn't sell any of its newer roses in the US or Canada. The one exception is Ascot, which is sold by Palatine Roses in Canada. A few years back, Augusta Luise was sold briefly by Hortico, also in Canada. Older, off patent Tantau roses are widely available. Join the club in wanting these beautiful roses to be sold in the US. Diane

Ascot

Augusta Luise

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks Nanadoll. I have drooled over your Ascot and Augusta Luise. Love that particular photo of Ascot.

• kate0012
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Despite the name, the rose actually looks gorgeous in that catalogue. And I also saw A Rose of Distinction for £6 and wish I'd picked that one up too. Thanks for the photos!

• User
    7 years ago

roseloverinsf... thanks for showing us the catalogue photos....

today... we visited a garden centre and they had a number of Fryer's roses for sale, which surprised me, I don't always see those, usually Harkness or Austin's... I took a photo of 'Marshmallow Delight' which was one of the first ones I saw, and Diane was absolutely right, that it is the same as 'Bailando', as on this label they have the correct TAN no. 02100, unlike Fryer's website which put up the one for 'Pastella'..

I didn't buy it, as I wanted some perennials instead....

• kate0012
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is such a basic question but what is a TAN number? Thank you!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think this is correct, someone can put me right if I'm wrong, but It's the breeder's code or registration name, for a particular rose, and remains the same code wherever in the world it ends up, even though the commercial i.e. selling names can change. In this case Tan stands for Tantau Roses. David Austins all start Aus... You don't need to know them unless you're doing what I did and check up on a rose variety where there is a query as to which rose we are talking about.... Fryer's on their website put the wrong code against 'M. Delight', which was the code for 'Pastella' not 'Bailando'...

Hence I got confused...

In some countries, and I see this in Europe a lot, some Austin roses for instance, can only be sold using their AUS registration names, something to do with copyright/patented[?]reasons and they are not allowed to use the commercial names... 'Graham Thomas' for instance, you might see for sale as 'AUSmas', which is the same rose, but sometimes I have to type in to google the AUS code and it will come up with the commercial name... then I know which rose they're talking about..

• roseloverinsf
    7 years ago

You're welcome, Marlorena and Nanadoll (Diane)! Glad to be of help!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County