Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Early Peonies Here

mantis__oh
8 years ago

The plants pictured here were photographed about 8 days later in
2014 and 2015. I for one am glad that dates are getting closer to
normal. A month ago we were two weeks ahead of time.

Always among the first of the herbaceous peonies to bloom, this one is Coral Fay, especially beautiful this year.

Burma Ruby

Kamada Fuji

This is supposed to be Shima Daijin, which is pictured in wide variation on the web. A very reddish purple.

Comments (10)

• AlexUnder
    8 years ago

Keep posting new blooms Mantis, Coral Fay is outstanding.

• AlexUnder
    8 years ago

How old is Kamada Fuji?

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have had Kamada Fuji for about five years. It is not in a great location, since I do not have a lot of semi-shade space. It bloomed while relatively young, and I like it better than Shima Daijin, which is a heavy ruffled bloom.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

What an awesome bush is Coral Fay! Those blooms look really nice against the green foliage. Love your Kamada Fuji 's bright pink color and open form.

• peonygirlmd
    8 years ago

Your Shima Daijin looks more like Kao to me. Here is my Shima Daijin this spring, look more purple than yours

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

They are all lovely, Mantis. How long has your Coral Fay been in place? I got one fall 2014, didn't bloom last year but I'm hoping for this year. You're right, it isn't coral colored at all; wonder if it got its name for a totally different reason....

Peonygirlmd, it's so hard to tell some of them apart. Do you have both Kao and Shima Daijin? I ordered Kao from Tree Peony Garden last fall, I'm really going to miss that place! Anyway, it would be interesting to have a pic of both from the same garden to compare and contrast, the pics of the blooms vary so much and the size of the plant is pretty much the same as well.....Post more pics, please! I'm enjoying the show!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you, peonygirl! I have long thought that the peony sent me was not Shimadaijin, and now I see that it is indeed Kao. Unfortunately, so many peonies sent are not true to name.

That Coral Fay has been in place many years, but I also have it in another garden, where it bloomed quickly from a small plant. Many of the descriptions talk about coral overtones; others simply call it rose, and that is what it is to me (a radiant rose). Finely cut foliage makes it great in a mixed planting; no more than 30 inches tall.

As I look through some old pictures taken at others' gardens, here is a mature bush that must be Shima Daijin. It was taken with an old camera that struggled to capture the purple tone.

• peonygirlmd
    8 years ago

I don't grow Kao in my garden, Liz. I was visiting the national arboretum in D.C couple weeks ago, they've tree peony in full bloom, Kao tree peony looks a lot like mantis Shima Daijin , hugh flowers.

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

My Kao from Tree Peony Garden has 2 buds on it right now, hopefully at least 1 will make it to bloom. I like the idea of huge flowers, I bought it mainly for the eventual size.