Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Very much underated bromeliads that should be in more collections

splinter1804
8 years ago

Hi everyone.

Fortunately where I live, I can grow these and my other brom's in the garden or shade house and don't have the constraints of requiring a heated glass house or having to move plants inside during winter, so anyone contemplating growing these plants needs to consider their own climatic conditions which may be very different to mine and adapt accordingly.

The plants I'm talking about here are Nidulariums; they are grown by a few growers here in my area of south eastern Australia, but nowhere near as many as other commonly grown genera such as Neoregelias, Aechmeas, Guzmanias, Vrieseas and Billbergias.

They are an easy to grow plant and will grow in pots, mounted on trees or simply planted in the garden under similar conditions for those plants mentioned above, but the big plus is that they will also grow and flower when grown in low light conditions that other plants find unacceptable e.g. I have some growing among ferns in a low light environment and still they flower.

Probably the best known and the easiest of the lot to grow is the species Nid. innocentii which will quickly grow into a nice clump when planted in the garden and it produces a nice inflorescence with small white flowers supported by deep red bracts which stay in colour for many months.

There are several different species and hybrids available some of which are shown below........... Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

All the best, Nev.

Nidularium innocentii

Nidularium 'Nana'

Nidularium innocentii var. lineatum

Nidularium 'Litmus'

Nidularium 'Ruby Lee'

Nidularium campos-portoi

Nidularium 'Miranda'

Nidularium 'Leprosa'

Nidularium 'Orange Bract'

Comments (9)

Sponsored