Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_kelly

Farfugium japonicum common name?

violet_kelly
16 years ago

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to gardening. I just bought a Farfugium japonicum and a Dutchman's pipe. Any suggestions...what can expect from these two plants? I plan on putting them in a very shady north facing bed.

thanks!

Kelly

Comments (13)

• violet_kelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lol...well, nevermind about the common name. I think it is a crested leopard plant. Interesting name.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

What an exotic looking plant! I don't know anything about it so looked it up on google. Some of them that are pictured have beautiful spotted leaves, hence the name, I suppose, of crested leopard plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farfugium japonicum

• violet_kelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have the spotted one, but mine has beautiful ruffled edges on the leaves. I have never seen one before and I really hope I don't kill it. :)

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

I just added the spotted one about a week ago. From what I read, it does not like sunshine here in Texas. It is a water hog, but does not like wet feet. You have to be careful not to over fertilize. I posted a question about it just a few days ago. I will try to link to that. So far so good, but the heat is just beginning. I have mine in containers along with my hostas. I use pine mulch like they recommend on the hosta forum. I am watering twice a day until it gets established. I hope it makes it. I got mine in Oklahoma, and it was such an interesting plant in the display gardens. There is a varigated kind I will try to add later if I can get this one to grow. I would be very interested to hear how yours grows.

Here is a link that might be useful: my original post

• violet_kelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary52,
    I just planted mine in the ground today. I searched and searched for a perfect spot for it and I think I found one where it won't get too much sun. It might get some early morning sun and late evening sun, but not much else. I covered it in pine mulch and watered it well. I think I will follow your suggestion on watering it 2 times a day until it gets established. I will try to let you know how it goes.
    Kelly

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

Good luck Violet! I hope it does well for you. I have killed many a plant, but if I like it, I just keep trying. It probably took me six clematis before I finally got one to grow. I sure hope it doesn't take that many fargugium!!
    Mary

• werqa
    16 years ago

Hello. I hope your farfugium are doing well. I have been growing farfugium for a couple of years. they perform well in a good compost medium based on coconut fiber and one fifth perlight. In hot climates they grow well in the shade but they do tollerate a good hour of morning and evening sun.They have to be well watered in very warm conditions. I feed them 24-12-12 with trace elements and some aditional iron. IMPORTANT do not overwater as this will cause the roots to rot. As a general rull do not rewater the plant before the compost is tending to dry.

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

Werqa, Thanks for the information. So far my farfugium are doing well. We had a very cool and rainy start to the summer. I have two plants, and they have both lost one or two leaves, but they are also growing. I have them in the shade with some morning light. I am not sure how I am going to overwinter mine. I am hoping a good layer of mulch will protect them. I bought them in Oklahoma City, and their winters are much cooler than what we get here. I will look for a compost with coconut fiber, but I am not sure it is sold here. Wow, Malta. It is so amazing how the internet broadens our horizons.
    Mary

• violet_kelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So far mine is doing well. It has been very wet, and I have been a little afraid that it would drown, but I have been lucky so far. It's putting out new leaves quite consistently now. Most of the day it is shaded; although it gets a little bit of morning sun and less of the evening.

Kelly

• norderney
    15 years ago

Just wondering how you have been getting on with your Farfugium Japonicum? I am about to buy some myself. I am thinking of buying the varieties Ryuto, Argenteum and Aureomaculatum.

I live on the South Coast of England near Southampton in Hampshire.

• mary52zn8tx
    15 years ago

Hello norderney,
    I love the way garden web allows us to share our love of gardening with people from all over the world. My Farfugium is still alive. This summer has been drier and the temperatures have been back to normal-up near 98 or 99 degrees F. I think that converts to around 36 to 37 degrees C. We still have a couple of hot months to go. The leaf size is smaller than when I first got the plant, but it is growing. I had divided the plant, and one of the divisions flowered in the fall. I gathered the seeds, but managed to misplace them. My plants are still in containers. I water every third day or so in our hot climate. They get some morning sun, but are in shade most of the rest of the day. I would replace the plant if I lost it. I am just about ready to try some of the other cultivars. Do let us know how your plants grow for you.
    Here is a picture of one of the plants in 07.

Here it is today.

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Here's mine. It's been in the ground about a year now, and is doing great. Since I took this picture in early May, it has been in constant bloom. It's planted in shade. I'm afraid the snails like it as much as I do.
    Jim

• mollyinthegarden
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I have planted a handful of different varities of farfugium and they are a really cool plant. They seem to do best in deep shade, and yes, don't let them dry out but don't overwater either. There is a variety called Farfugium japonicum 'Giganteum' ths is unbelievable! It has giant waxy leaves and for me it has stayed evergreen the last two winters. It looks amazing in a woodland setting or near a pond because the leaves resemble giant lily pads. Good luck!

Molly