Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Olga hosta

hostahosta
9 years ago

I love Olga Petryszyn's hosta. Every one of them. I have several, but looking for more. Thought it would be fun to see which ones you all have and how they are doing. Most of them are large to very large, so would really like to see some that are more mature than mine!

First is my Gone with the Wind. One year old, showing promise. It is 11" tall and 26' wide this year, and will get much larger. Should be a stunner in a few years. Long tapered graceful leaves, white margined.

What do you have?

Comments (28)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A less familiar one (I think) is Smokey Bear. Also one year old and just a baby in my garden. It will grow very large, with heavy corrugation and some waviness to the leaves.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Liking Gone with the Wind.

Here's Brother Stephen

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I have a couple of Olga's about year three here. While they are not mature, they are older than your one year hosta. And I am proud of them.

Such as Key West, which is doing fine but has a more juvenile form in its 2nd year, very early in June 2014.

So here is Old Faithful, Olga's fragrant hosta.
    Here it is in July sending up a scape, it bloomed beginning in August, and now still looks good. Good substance too.

and Mississippi Delta is so appropriately named. Like the Delta itself, broad, flat and green...this picture epitomizes that image for me....taken May 31 2014

.how does she always choose the right name....I'm glad Manhattan is the one she chose for that name. Sophisticated hosta! Here it is with rough tough Black Hills That girl is growing up quickly!

Mardi Gras and Niagara Falls do not look so good now, no pictures worth showing since they are far from mature.

Oh, and I almost forgot about poor Tissue Culture failure that was disowned and is said to be not a real one at all, but definitely they say, NOT Tobacco Road. So in lieu of it being Olga's Tobacco Road, it is the disavowed unappreciated VINCENT TWIN. (i.e., Danny De Vito, NOT Arnie Schwartz).
    ...before I post this picture I must tell you that I was given my money back by the seller, who accidentally allowed this TC failure to leave her premises. That was this spring, after I've grown it since I got it from my very first Hosta Library auction. I've grown fond of Vincent, and do not want to turn him out. He may not be his "better half" twin, Tobacco Road, but he came with his own qualities. So here's Vincent...

I like them all. All of Olgas. Really want those big golds...and a nice Tobacco Road, perfect touch in a southern garden.

Edited to add two more...
    Dawn's Early Light, which doesn't like it here, but I'm still trying.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 22:26

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

That wants post that listed Viva Las Vegas and Champaign Taste had me googling to find both. Didn't realize how many of her hostas are at the top of the want list. The only one I have so far is my gold colored Niagra Falls.

• User
    9 years ago

Bunga, with you living in Virginia, you might want to check out Chesapeake Bay.Make it easy on yourself and go to her website where they are all listed by name. It will save you a lot of time....just list them all.....might as well, that is what is happening to me. I thought I had only a couple. Turns out, I have a bunch! hehehe

Here is a link that might be useful: Olga Hostas A - Z

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I have Brother Stephan, which is doing fine. It got hit last year with a late freeze, which set it back. Jeff sent me that beautiful Manhattan this spring. The tape has never fallen off, so I'm not sure how it looks. I also have Niagara Falls, which reverted to juvenile leaves this year. I have Key West which looks TERRIBLE. It grows, but boy, it's ugly. I'll see if I can get a photo and add it to this post.

I love her hosta. I'm just not sure they love Texas.

bk

• mctavish
    9 years ago

Hoosier dome shown with probable Regal Splendor (labeled Montana) and Royal Flush turning yellow

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Lol Moc, that is pretty much what happened. The list is getting out of control. Seems a few get added everytime I get on this forum.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

All That Jazz

Don B.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

All That Jazz is hers? Another winner. Mine is growing like a weed. In it's third year and it's over 4' across. Wish they all grew like that.

• User
    9 years ago

It sure is a beaut, Myrle. I guess All That Jazz is one for me, quite soon. I'm not much for white margined hosta, but I think ATJ is a distinctive (Irish) green, very shamrock colored. I think "himself" will approve when I get it.

Interesting that your Royal Flush is determined to be a gold. I'll try mine in more sun and see if that happens here. I am a fan of gold leaves..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

The only one I have is Brother Stefan. It is one of my favorites. Picture taken just yesterday. Even held up pretty well in our hail storm.

• User
    9 years ago

NHL, Now THAT is a Brother Stefan that is spectacular. I bet Olga would tell you that's the look she was going for with it. Beautiful plant. The ivy is star shaped, and the hakone grass is like stripes or fireworks... Brother Stefan leaves are puffed up like hot air balloons awaiting lift off! That plant is inspirational.

I sure hope mine grows up to look that good in a pot!

Don you got All That Jazz late last year, right? So it is a healthy youngster. Another winning hosta from Olga....sigh...she really is good. Not many I want specifically, but I think ATJ is on that short list.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Right, Mocc. Bought last year. A very tall healthy youngster. Height never hurts : )

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Height never hurts : )

My sentiments exactly, Don.

I thought that myself today as I used my barbecue tongs to reach a liqueur glass off the top shelf in my kitchen cabinet.
    Bon appetit. And down the hatch.

9 years ago

Thanks Moc. What descriptive words . . . "hakone grass is like stripes or fireworks . . . leaves are puffed up like hot air balloons awaiting lift off!" Well, I just never thought of it like that! What a lovely way to put it.

"I sure hope mine grows up to look that good in a pot!" I hope your BS grows well and beyond your expectations, Moc! I really do hope so.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you, NHL.
    You must have an intuitive eye when it comes to planting your containers. What you chose to plant gave an image so lovely and clear to see, I expect the pot to lift off the deck and take flight. It sparkles it is so full of joy.

A work of art, you know. A Chinese classical gardener would appreciate the pot as you planted it, your choice of colors/textures/shapes, and the health and vigor of the plants..

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Anyone have Continental Divide?

Since it's named for Colorado, I NEED that one (See what I did there?)

Don B.

P.S. Even if it weren't named for Colorado, I'd still NEED that one : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 9:07

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Brother Stefan, new this year. Only four leaves...but, just like the Red Sox, wait until NEXT year !!!

Olga (notice I am on a first name basis since I have one of her hosta) says she culls 10,000 seedlings in order to get one maybe marketable new hosta. She's a busy gal.

Jon

9 years ago

Thanks again, Moc!

Jon, your BS is looking great for a first year. I see a lot of corrugation in those four leaves. I think it is looking very promising!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

NHL, your photo of your BS is as breathtaking as the first time I saw it. Stunning!

I wish you'd submit this pic for consideration into the Hosta Library. There are a good number of lovely BS's there, but not one pot-grown! Yours is truly beautiful in its setting and one-of-kind! Seriously.

Jo

• mctavish
    9 years ago

Some very nice pictures here. All that Jazz is beautiful. Does anyone have that and Leading Lady? I'd like to know if there is much difference. Thanks, Myrle

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I have Continental Divide, but it's just a baby this year. Ask me again next year.....

• User
    9 years ago

Jonny, it is easier to be on a first name basis with Olga than it is to spell her SURNAME. I have troubles with that.

Beautimous Brother Stefan you have there. I don't think BS like the climate here. Oh, it is okay, but after three growing seasons, no looks to speak of. What a bummer, it was on my 2010 first order, and happened to be one that was missing and never shipped...what came turned out to be a NOID Satisfaction, which is not really a Satisfaction any more, so it is back to being a NOID. I really hate that.

My son was named Steven.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Here's my Continental Divide, Don. Bought it last year as a plug and it remains plug-size. Have a feeling this is one of those "Peter Pan" Hostas, never wanting to grow up.

9 years ago

Hi Jo. Thanks for your suggestion---"I wish you'd submit this pic for consideration into the Hosta Library." Now and then I have thought of submitting a photo of a certain hosta, but it never occurred to me to send one of BS. I just might do it!

Besides us potheads need to be represented too!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I think my Brother Stefan is going to be a corker NHL, or beautimous as you say Moc.

I have it in a spot with thick rich soil and a good deal of shade. I had been saving the spot for something special. It is on a corner which seems to have a lot of rabbit traffic, but they have left the Brother Stefan alone (but not others) and it seems to be thriving as I had hoped.

Moc, if you keep calling it BS it is no wonder it doesn't feel the love.

Jon

• User
    9 years ago

You make a good point, Jonny. I will be more aware of the vibes it gets.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH