One of our H. 'Abba Dabba Do's

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

Thinking one of the top 3 fastest growing Hosta, even in heavy shade:

hh

Comments (8)

• Cindy
    11 years ago

I love that this one is surviving, well, thriving planted right at the base of a tree. Very pretty edges. And I love fast growers. Nothing more frustrating that waiting for 4 years for another eye.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Agree on fast growing - add Guacamole to fastest list for bigger hosta.

Here's my Abba Dabba Do planted in 2008 as a 2-3 eyed plant. First pic is after a cool night of recovery from previous day's heat. Interesting to go out early and see that many hosta are seemingly vase shaped early in morning after a cool night. Second pic is 10 days later after spreading out from heat of the day.

Paul

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Oh well --- it looks like I will HAVE TO replace the Frances Williams in the trio with 2 Blue Angels surrounding my Greciean Urn with 'Abba Dabba Do'

Does anyone want a slightly used Francis Williams?

Les

• esox48
    11 years ago

Abba Dabba Do used to be the largest hosta in my yard, pushing 70 inches and 3 feet tall. Then it started declining until finally this year I dug it up and cut it into about eight pieces in an effort to find some good eyes.

I gave three to my daughter, replanted a piece with about nine eyes in the same spot, planted another piece in a different spot and threw all the rest up on the hill, where they will probably somehow survive and I'll notice them years later.

The one in the original spot is now about a foot tall but is a mature division of a very large hosta. Be interesting to see what happens.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

esox, That big one probably used up all the nutrients in its spot and needed some new humus in the soil. I hope the one in the same spot will be doing well now.
    Bernd

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, I received a sport of ADD this week, Zippety Do Dah, and it might wind up being a big dude like yours. It came from Vermont, so it is having a bit of culture shock now, but should perk up since we are having nights in the high 60s.
    I look forward to seeing it standing tall.

I had not thought about the hosta drawing themselves together like some tree leaves do as temps change. Nice observation you made there.

• esox48
    11 years ago

What happens is the large, vase-shaped hostas are strong and perky in the morning and later begin to droop a bit and spread out during the day, especially if it's hot and sunny. If I want to measure a hosta, I pick a standard time, like noon. If you wait until late on a hot day, you get an exaggerated measurement.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Last year I measured all of my hostas 4 times during the season; early spring, late spring, summer, and early fall. Every one in early fall measured less than in late spring. I think it is the same reaction.

Les