Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtstar_gw

petrocosmea minor

vtstar
16 years ago

I picked up this pretty little thing this spring at a show, and have been waiting forever for it to bloom. The plant now totally covers the top of the 3 inch pot I have it in and I suspect they can get much larger. The leaves sort of look like a succulent on this one, some of the other petrocosmea's have very different looking leaves. Most of this family, when they finish blooming, send out baby plantlets on the bloom stalks. So will now have to wait some more to see what happens. Janice

Comments (10)

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Janice -

thank you for the pleasure. Beautiful well grown plant, excellent pic! mine blooming too right now - I am afraid I will end with 50 suckers growing out of every armpit...

Irina

• paul_
    16 years ago

Very cute!

• vtstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well here we are about 1 year later and I'm disappointed. My pet has bloomed 2 or 3 times during the last year and no sucker babies popping out of anything. Can anyone tell me how their pet minor acts? Do they eventually send up suckers? I have tried starting leaves when my cat knocked it over shortly after I bought it. So I ended up putting down about 20 leaves, and only one took, not very good percentages. If I had know that, I would not have traded the baby until I had a couple more just in case Mom dies.
    Janice

• vtstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Believe it or not I now have several leaves down with babies coming up. I put one down in early September and that one has 4 babies coming. When I noticed them I went and put down 2 more leaves about the middle of October and they are just starting up babies. I wonder if the time of year has anything to do with how well they put out babies. The mother plant is currently blooming, I also wonder if that is a trigger factor. Don't know and don't care as I now have BABIES !!!! Janice

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Janice -

I would think everything should root and sprout faster in spring - but looks like your Minor has its own ideas. For me the worst offender is P. forrestii. It blooms - and then it SUCKERS. Minor suckers too after blooming for me - but not into 50 suckers like forrestii.

I.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

I meant to comment on this like a hundred years ago--I thought I had, but I guess I forgot. Just wanted to say how nice it looks!

• vtstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My pet minor has been blooming since September, not a lot at any time but constantly. There is no indication of any baby suckers at all. Of the three leaves that I started two of them are still hanging in there and are growing fine. I found out at my club that you don't want to pot up the babies until they are real good size. Janice

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

What a sweet looking plant!
    I like the shape and shine of the leaves as well as the unusual shape of the flowers! I'll have to keep my eye open for one of these. Is it a small grower (mini/semi)?
    Well grown Janice!,,,Debbie

• vtstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The largest pot I have had it in is a 3 inch. A member of our club has much larger and healthier plants than mine, so I suspect they might even go up to a 4 inch pot. Janice

• sagc
    13 years ago

I've had one since summer '09 which is now in a very shallow 6 or 7" pot and doing well. For the first time it is going to bloom! There are 2 buds. I'm excited. I had originally bought 4 at the gesneriad convention in DC, all different varieties and had difficulty keeping them cool enough. Three died, this one thrived. I hope I get babies.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company