Puya spathacea flowering

Barry

Puya spathacea flowering

Post by Barry »

One of our Puya clumps(well the last clump as the other one I divided earlier) is flowering,it started a few weeks ago but is getting going now.Here's a couple of pics,will update with new ones later;

When we got this from Beeches nursery a few years ago it was labbled as this; Puya sp.rcb ra-62,which we could never seem to get to the bottom of,but think we now have found out it is PUYA SPATHACEA RCB RA-S-2(as listed on the Cotswold G F site)coming from high-altitude Argentina*.This has sailed through winters in a un-heated greenhouse and once I get a nice bit going on it's own will give one a try outside.
On the subject of the division above,what's the chances of the offsets surviving with little or no root? I may have made a pigs ear of it icon_blackeye .They are surviving so far but that's about it.

*It gets called Lionel now :roll: :)
kata

Re: Puya spathacea flowering

Post by kata »

Yikes Barry, its huge!!

:lol: :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Ooh, congratulations in getting a bloom Barry icon_cheers

What's the secret in getting it to flower, the one I have here flatly refuses to flower, not sure which one it is but is absolutely lethal and once it gets hold just wont let go.

Keep us updated with the flower spike Barry icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

I just bought two Puya ferruginea babies from Mark here Di, apparently they take some years to flower,
PuyaFerruginea1.jpg
puyaf.jpg
As you can see I have a few years in front of me yet for any flower but Barry's flower is really awesome.

Well done Barry!!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

They look nice healthy plants Kata. I've heard that they take a while to flower, but I'm starting to think it's about time mine should start to get a move on. It's had its ups and downs over the years and lost a lot of lower leaves now, not nearly so healthy as Barry's look in the top photo.

Bottom of the class for me with these.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Barry

Post by Barry »

DiCasS wrote:Ooh, congratulations in getting a bloom Barry icon_cheers

What's the secret in getting it to flower, the one I have here flatly refuses to flower, not sure which one it is but is absolutely lethal and once it gets hold just wont let go.

Keep us updated with the flower spike Barry icon_cheers

Di

I was going to take some more pics but it's been a bit overcast so wouldn't show up too well and also been busy getting the Toms planted and watching Moto gp,Moto 2 & Moto 3 qualifying.

It's the third time it's flowered and it's always this time of year;it's always in the greenhouse until about April/May depending on the weather but I don't do anything special to it at all,it's not even had a feed yet.
kata

Post by kata »

They look nice healthy plants Kata.
Thanks Di! Mine will be years yet.

Keep doing what your doing Di, its still alive so bound to flower.
:mrgreen:
Industrial

Post by Industrial »

Puya ferruginea is a small species Kate, if not the smallest, they will also grow slower than many, for instance the Puya mirabilis and Puya chilensis I am growing this year too are much larger and the same age. See below
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

I have decided to leave them potted on the kitchen window, its the one room gets loads of sun,

Too tiny for outside Mark.

:mrgreen:
Barry

Post by Barry »

As promsed a couple more pics;

kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: Wow Barry, what tall flowers you have done well,

Thanks!

icon_cheers
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Crikey Barry, since the first pics the flower's coming on a treat icon_thumleft And thanks for the info. When you water yours, do you water just the soil or water the top as well? I know mines had previous Winter damage, but not sure I'm getting the watering right either.

Kata, mine is alive, but struggling :(

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Barry

Post by Barry »

DiCasS wrote:Crikey Barry, since the first pics the flower's coming on a treat icon_thumleft And thanks for the info. When you water yours, do you water just the soil or water the top as well? I know mines had previous Winter damage, but not sure I'm getting the watering right either.

Kata, mine is alive, but struggling :(

Di

It usually gets normal rain watering when it's outside and not much else really,during the winter I'll give it a little if the weather is mild and only the soil;very (and I mean very)occasionally it'll get a feed.As you can see it's not exactly mollycoddled :lol: ,but it seems to be tough as old boots;as I said I may be brave and try an offset outside this winter(probably bring it when it snows though) to see how it fares.
kata

Post by kata »

Kata, mine is alive, but struggling
There you go, Barry has helped with feeding Di, my sis feeds all her plants with Babybio if it helps.

You can't do more than water and feed Di, if mine don't make it well, buy something that will.

:lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm not easy to give up on a plant Kata, even if it looks half dead I'll perceveir (sp?) until I'm certain it's died :lol: I have a little nursery at the back of my greenhouse where I put all my struggling plants and just leave until they either do something or die.

Barry, I do much the same as you, but wasn't sure about watering above, I don't, so guess mine must be from natural die off (haven't attempted to get those bloomin dead leaves off in ages :lol: ) and Winter damage.

Thanks Barry.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.