JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pic didn't show up above for some reason
tawanese_trident0.jpg

tawanese_trident2.jpg
Good growing for seven years, and nice fall color!

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In one of Peter Chan's videos he briefly shows a miyasama trident of his. The largest and most developed one I've seen yet. I'm sure there are others like this in Asia.

I overlapped two screenshots together because it wouldn't fit in the frame.

Attachments

• 20200611_172432.jpg
    20200611_172432.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 195

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That would need to be a really old tree! Mine’s put on a whopping 4” this year and still looks like a stick.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's a nifty idea I had the other day. Has anyone tried grafting this subspecies to a normal trident maple? Assuming it would take, I'm curious if it would become more vigorous.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Miyasama that I got a few years ago from Mr Maple are grafted onto trident maple rootstock. I also have to seedlings from them which have different/more open form than the Miyasama and much better fall/autumn color

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The Miyasama that I got a few years ago from Mr Maple are grafted onto trident maple rootstock. I also have to seedlings from them which have different/more open form than the Miyasama and much better fall/autumn color
I have read a few anecdotes that the miyasama's seeds are infertile. But yours debunks that. Could the graft has something to do with it?

Mine has a light red fall color although being in Florida, only a few of the more shaded leaves turn at a time.

Attachments

• 20200929_170824.jpg
    20200929_170824.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The seedlings I have were labeled a.buerg. var. formosanum, while the grafted is labeled Miyasama. The latter just turns gold and has an almost upright growth habit with tight internodes and thick branches. The seedlings are very open in form and have a "natural" appearance. One of those set seed this year. I have also heard that they have very low fertility but that they are also rather precocious about setting seed. I will see if anything germinates....there were just a few.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Before/after 1 year progression. The thickness of the trunk has at least doubled. It has also set some seeds.

20210409_124320.jpg20210409_110707.jpg

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Stumbled across this thread about the species: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/acer-buergerianum-miq-var-formosanum.23287/

My takeaway is that "Miyasama Yatsubusa" is perhaps a named cultivar of the greater variety/subspecies of Miyasama Kaede. From what I have gathered from nursery websites, Yatsubusa is a slow growing dwarf. That said a lot of the websites' specimen did not have that compact, shingled appearance that is seen in bonsai so take that with a grain of salt.

My Taiwan Trident is a vigorous grower and leafs out yellow rather than the red I've seen with Yatsubusa. In the last 4 months it has sent out its 2nd flush which includes two 1.5' shoots of pencil thickness. Not long ago I airlayered both shoots and they have significant root growth already. There should be no issue cultivating this variety, so perhaps people are mixing up the dwarf cultivar with the greater variety?

Last edited:

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How’s your miyasama? I am also just about to jump the gun to get a miyasama trident but only found miyasama yatsubusa variety. I think kaeda just means maple. I’m just wondering if all miyasama tridents in the wild in Taiwan are small trees or do they grow larger? That would prove that the miyasama has a greater variety and the yatsubusa is a dwarf of that.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm with ibakey. Any updates? Miyasama is probably my favorite trident. I live in Japan and have been looking for bigger trees, but everything I have found have been smaller shohin sized. This guys has a few videos on Miyasama, but they are all on the smaller side.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm with ibakey. Any updates? Miyasama is probably my favorite trident. I live in Japan and have been looking for bigger trees, but everything I have found have been smaller shohin sized. This guys has a few videos on Miyasama, but they are all on the smaller side.
Hey! Another Japan member!
In Fukui by the looks of it? I'm in Tokyo. ^Bossa's videos are great.

Keep an eye on mercari and yakuoku for miyasama. Might want to check with the guy at 広樹園 in Kyoto. He has a ton of tridents and might have some miyasame. I was there in the winter, so I didn't know which were which. He does specialize in shohin sized stuff though, so if he has them, they're likely that size.

There is a pretty awesome ROW trident (not miyasama) for pickup in Saitama right now if you're willing to make the trip. The branches look like they could use some work, but the trunk is pretty showstopping in my opinion. If I had room for big trees it would already be mine. https://jp.mercari.com/item/m89682919978 Only ¥7,555.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey! Another Japan member!
In Fukui by the looks of it? I'm in Tokyo. ^Bossa's videos are great.

Keep an eye on mercari and yakuoku for miyasama. Might want to check with the guy at 広樹園 in Kyoto. He has a ton of tridents and might have some miyasame. I was there in the winter, so I didn't know which were which. He does specialize in shohin sized stuff though, so if he has them, they're likely that size.

There is a pretty awesome ROW trident (not miyasama) for pickup in Saitama right now if you're willing to make the trip. The branches look like they could use some work, but the trunk is pretty showstopping in my opinion. If I had room for big trees it would already be mine. https://jp.mercari.com/item/m89682919978 Only ¥7,555.
Yup, in Fukui.
Thanks for tips. I saw the one in mercari, but it might be a little too much for me to work on.

I was wondering how hard it is to find kaede on your side of the island. We have awesome nurseries here, but I can't really find kaede any where.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yup, in Fukui.
Thanks for tips. I saw the one in mercari, but it might be a little too much for me to work on.

I was wondering how hard it is to find kaede on your side of the island. We have awesome nurseries here, but I can't really find kaede any where.
To be honest, it's probably one of the most commen deciduous trees in the nursuries around Tokyo. Even the home centers sell stick in pot "bonsai".

Oddly though, they are pretty rare in yards, on street sides and in parks. If you're traveling for GW, the Omiya Bonsai Matsuri is back on this year. You'd be sure to find some there.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you guys have a tonne of sekka hinokis? I heard they sell for pretty cheap over there for pretty developed ones.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do you guys have a tonne of sekka hinokis? I heard they sell for pretty cheap over there for pretty developed ones.
I would say they're relatively uncommon in my area. Unless there are horribly ugly and unsavable, they tend to fetch a pretty penny. Even rooted cutting of just a year or two old tend to sell for the 2,000 yen a pop.

I have one that I picked up at a home center for about 4,000 yen. It was big and ugly and in rough shape, but I only wanted the top. I've since layered a clump off the top, so I still have just one plus a handfull of cuttings. That was kind of a rare one time deal - I found 3 of them that looked like they'd been forgotten about tucked away behind some stuff in a corner. Only 1 of the 3 was even worth trying to make something out of.

It seems most people just don't know how to develop them at all. They tend to be leggy and without interest when I do come accross them. I get the impression most hobbiests would rather play with shinpakus. I probably belong in that camp too. :)

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
To be honest, it's probably one of the most commen deciduous trees in the nursuries around Tokyo. Even the home centers sell stick in pot "bonsai".

Oddly though, they are pretty rare in yards, on street sides and in parks. If you're traveling for GW, the Omiya Bonsai Matsuri is back on this year. You'd be sure to find some there.
I wish I could make it out there. Unfortunately Fukui is one of the most expensive places to travel from to Tokyo on honshu because it is so far and out of the way.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How’s your miyasama? I am also just about to jump the gun to get a miyasama trident but only found miyasama yatsubusa variety. I think kaeda just means maple. I’m just wondering if all miyasama tridents in the wild in Taiwan are small trees or do they grow larger? That would prove that the miyasama has a greater variety and the yatsubusa is a dwarf of that.
My current belief is that "miyasama yatsubusa" is a cultivar of the Taiwanese trident maple. My Taiwanese trident is not a cultivar but a wild type. It is much more vigorous than Acer Palmatum and propagates from cuttings quite easily. It seems to thrive in a humid, subtropical climate like much of the southeastern US. It has a low winter dormancy requirement and can handle direct sunlight similar to my native Acer Rubrum although I'd argue it's even more vigorous than that. I would guess these trees can grow quite large like normal trident maples.

Top Bottom