Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help! Info on Drummania and Guitar Freaks needed

DevoDave

Question

Hi all,

I have picked up a working Guitar Freaks and a non-working Drummania. I'm looking for help/info to get the Drummania working.

It fires up, but towards the end of the booting process it brings up 'Please call attendant' and three lines of kanji (Japanese characters).

The Drummania is Mix 10, but the CD in the drive is not an original, and the BIOS rom on the motherboard has been replaced with a small PCB holding an Eprom and some GALS and stuff.

I have swapped the CD drive, and motherboard, from the working Guitar Freaks. No change.

Now.. here is what I want to know.

• The Guitar Freaks has a PCMIA card insterted. The Drummania doesn't. Should the DM have one? If it *IS* needed and I insert the GF card into the DM game to see if that is the problem will it permanently stuff it?

• Can the games be easily converted into their English versions?

• Does anyone know what the Kanji might be telling me?

• Are spares available here in Oz? I need a sensor for one of the DM pads.

• Anyone know where an English manual on file might be available?

Any help appreciated!

I've got NFI, but if you can a decent photo of the Kanji I can get my mate next door to deceipher it.

No doubt it probably just says "Please call attendadnt" lol

Gints

I've got NFI, but if you can a decent photo of the Kanji I can get my mate next door to deceipher it.

No doubt it probably just says "Please call attendant" lol

Gints

I'll do that... see below for a really crappy photo. If it's not good enough, let me know and I'll do it with a proper camera rather than a phone.

Further info... the security chip is marked Percussion Freaks 3rd Mix.

Image001.jpg

Edited by DevoDave

Seems strange to have a 10th mix CD with a 3rd mix chip. Is the CD and chip of Guitar Freaks the same versions?

The chip on the GF only has a part number, but looks to be a mask rom so I'm guessing it's original. The CD in the GF is an original Konami.

The hack on the Drummania chip combined with the 3rd mix Percussion Freaks security chip and the burnt CD suggests to me it might be a bootleg.

Now.. here is what I want to know.

• The Guitar Freaks has a PCMIA card insterted. The Drummania doesn't. Should the DM have one? If it *IS* needed and I insert the GF card into the DM game to see if that is the problem will it permanently stuff it?

• Can the games be easily converted into their English versions?

• Does anyone know what the Kanji might be telling me?

• Are spares available here in Oz? I need a sensor for one of the DM pads.

• Anyone know where an English manual on file might be available?

Any help appreciated!

Hi Evreyone,

Ok, this will clear up a few questions:

1) DM does not use a PCMCIA card.

2) There IS NO English version of DM10th Mix

3) If it is actually a DrumMania 10th mix, then it will not work unless you have what is called a Multisession Unit (Big Black DVD Player that sits on the back of the machine), regardless on weather you are trying to link up to a GF11th mix, DM10th Mix must have the Multisession Unit to actually get past the "Call Attendant" Screen at the end.

4) We have a full range of spares for all Konami Bemani Games.

5) There is No English Manual for DM, the English Versions of these games are called Percussion Freaks, we should have a few up to 6th, maybe 7th mix, happy to send you one as we should have plenty.

You version is one of the Chinese Bootlegs, the fact that it actually boots, and gets past the first few screens, means the disk, Boot security are matched. The error also leads me to think it is a 10th mix.

What appears in the top left corner, just after the CDR CHECK Screen?

If you dont have the multisession unit, the best version you can go to with current hardware is Percussion Freaks 9th Mix.

I hope the above helps, let me know what else you need to know.

Zak

Zax Amusements.

Beauty Zak! Cleared up a few issues at least.. and I now know where to come to for the knowledge.

I'll check that top left corner.

It *DOES* have a big black mofo box squatting on it's back. I thought it might be an amp but I hadn't looked at that. I'll see if it has power, etc. in the morning.

No doubt I'll be in touch...

Beauty Zak! Cleared up a few issues at least.. and I now know where to come to for the knowledge.

I'll check that top left corner.

It *DOES* have a big black mofo box squatting on it's back. I thought it might be an amp but I hadn't looked at that. I'll see if it has power, etc. in the morning.

No doubt I'll be in touch...

Carefull on the multisession unit (Black mofo), its 110volt only.

Let me know how you go.

Zak

Zax Amusements.

You da man Zak!

Some friendly soul had turned off the multisession unit. Quick flick of the power switch, and my journey to learn Japanese has begun.

Now that it works I can clean it up a bit. Filthy and broken bits everywhere. I think instead of drumsticks the last place that had it were using claw hammers.

You da man Zak!

Some friendly soul had turned off the multisession unit. Quick flick of the power switch, and my journey to learn Japanese has begun.

Now that it works I can clean it up a bit. Filthy and broken bits everywhere. I think instead of drumsticks the last place that had it were using claw hammers.

He He, glad its working, let me know what parts you need, ignore my web page prices, we can do some nice deals on used stuff.

Zak

Zax Amusements.

So the DM works now Dave?? I'm coming out to play it if it does!...lol.....didn't happen to have a Beatmania IIDX machine where you got it from did they? Would like to get my hands on one of those on the cheap :) Probably wouldn't be able to fit it into my house if i did get one. Nice score...I love all the rhythm games, DM is about the only one i've never played before.

I recommend getting the IIDX games for the PS2 plus the arcade controller it is just about as good as the real machine.

I can't believe you've never played DM, you should go to chinatown when you get back and have a go its great fun :)

I recommend getting the IIDX games for the PS2 plus the arcade controller it is just about as good as the real machine.

I can't believe you've never played DM, you should go to chinatown when you get back and have a go its great fun :)

Already got the PS2 deluxe IIDX controller + IIDX 12, 13...14 comes out in a few days but be damed if i can get past lvl 5 on 13... :) The only problem i have is level 5 songs i just cant play with the controller on my lap, i need to be standing over it like the arcade machine has you standing. I should go have a game of DM.....i go there enough to play other games. But i don't need to now because devodave has one i can play ;)

He He, glad its working, let me know what parts you need, ignore my web page prices, we can do some nice deals on used stuff. Zak

Thanks for that Zak. Was in today and picked up some drumstick holders to replace the shitty bit of rope the last place used. The milled alloy holders and stainless steel wire look a treat!

DM and a GF!!! Nice pickup. I'd be cheering if there was one anywhere in Adelaide at all. My crusty PS2 DM controller just doesn't cut it.

damed if i can get past lvl 5

About the same place that I hit a brick wall. You've gotta put some serious time into iidx to get anywhere :confused:

Some more help needed (Zac?)

I *THINK* a battery is dying. Looses its time/date settings and there is a note on the screen on bootup in Kanji but one bit I could read said RTC or similar.

What battery goes into one of these babies?

The thing's on site in bloody Frankston. I'll be able to change the battery myself on site... I just need to know what sort to bring.

I *THINK* the note said Error 605 but that is only from memory.

The thing's on site in bloody Frankston. I'll be able to change the battery myself on site... I just need to know what sort to bring.

I *THINK* the note said Error 605 but that is only from memory.

The bat is not a plug in device, its a little bit like changing a bat on a CPSII system, other steps need to be taken as well.

You will need to bring it in.

Zak

Where in Frankston has a DM & GF?

The GF is in Strike Bayside, just next to Tunzafun. The DM is actually in Strike Chapel Street Prahran.

The bat is not a plug in device, its a little bit like changing a bat on a CPSII system, other steps need to be taken as well.

You will need to bring it in.

Zak

Okay.. I'll see what I can do. But it's a hell of a drive!