Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
paperlantern
Minors (Double A)

earlier baseball games

I've been playing OOTP since version 4, and I love it. Out of curiosity, what was everyones first Baseball Video Game addiction? Mine was Baseball Simulator 1.000 for NES. Loved how you could "edit" the stats to reflect what they player would do over 162 game season.
paperlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Who Killed Kenny?
Major Leagues

Bases Loaded 3 and 4. I was always Hawaii. I also loved the umpires names: Yuk, Boo, Dum, and Bum.

Should mention that Ryne Sandberg was on the cover of Bases Loaded 3. He was (and is) my all time favorite player.

Last edited by Who Killed Kenny?; 11-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Who Killed Kenny? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
robc
Hall Of Famer

Microleague Baseball + GM Disk was the first on the computer. Actually, there was one earlier I liked to play. It was a baseball game for the TRS-80 model III. I don't even rememebr the name of it.

My first board game for baseball was All Star Baseball with the round cards that you used with a spinner, then Stratomatic.

Edit: I think my progression went: Microleague Baseball-> Earl Weaver Baseball-> Tony LaRussa Baseball-> Front Page Sports Baseball->High Heat Baseball->OOTP / Puresim

Last edited by robc; 11-18-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more info
robc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
This was my first introduction into baseball simulation:
Name:  Sher-Co.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  26.9 KB
Sher-Co Baseball

After that I went on to Strat-o-matic and Pursue the Pennant.

On the computer I played Micro-League and Earl Weaver on the Amiga, but computer games were more a diversion and the board games were the bread and butter until I got married and started a family and found less time for the accounting required by board games.

The first computer game I really got serious about was Tony LaRussa and its companion game Old Time Baseball.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
klonewarrior
Minors (Double A)

I played Earl Weaver Baseball and Earl Weaver Baseball 2. Tony LaRussa and Old Time Baseball. Front Page Sports Baseball, High Heat Baseball, and now OOTP.
klonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
hefalumps
All Star Starter

What a great thread!

When I got a NES, I rented pretty much all of the baseball games, but my favorites were Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars. I remember keeping my own box scores from some of those games. But Baseball Stars quickly took over when it came out. It was a little cartoony, but it was the first game I knew of where you could create your own team, trade/hire/fire players, and play out an actual season with statkeeping, player development/aging, etc. I also liked being able to make my fielders dive and jump for the ball! I created a little Orioles dynasty with that game using existing players and fictional players - and I somehow still remember the names of some of the fictional players (Thwack Robbins was one of my favorites - I was really sad when his skills declined so much that I had to send him packing).

On the PC, there was a game back in the late 80s/early 90s that we borrowed from a friend, and I can't for the life of me remember the name. Maybe some of you can help. I think it was called "Fantom" or something similar. It was mostly a text simulator with some rudimentary ballpark layout graphics, but I remember playing as the 1989 Orioles and being able to play out a season, make trades, manage rosters, etc. I have no idea what happened to it, and until I found OOTP, I hadn't found a text simulator that gave me the same enjoyment.

Since I couldn't find a text sim I liked, I instead played out seasons/dynasties with games like Hardball and High Heat. Those two games were great when they were around. I tried MVP Baseball for a couple of years before it went away, and while I liked the gameplay, I never got into any dynasties - I just played out exhibition games. By the time I got into MVP Baseball, I already had OOTP, so playing a dynasty in MVP Baseball just didn't seem like it would have the depth I wanted.

Now I play OOTP almost exclusively, although now that I have a PS3 I'll probably get the next version of The Show, and I might try to start a dynasty in it just to give it a chance.

Can't wait to read about everyone else's old baseball game experiences. I always hear a lot about Earl Weaver Baseball - that's one I never got to try.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

I'm only in my teenage years, and as much as i hate to admit it, i'm a Baseball Mogul convert.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
fintach
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc View Post
Actually, there was one earlier I liked to play. It was a baseball game for the TRS-80 model III. I don't even rememebr the name of it.
I remember that game! A side view of the "batter" while the square ball drifted closer until starting moving lower in chunks. Even then I thought the graphics sucked, but it was baseball so I played. Not that I was supposed to -- it was a school computer.

The computer baseball game I first got addicted to was Hardball for the C64. I used to play that game with my friends for hours.

The first computer baseball game that really blew me away was Tony LaRussa Baseball (and the companion Old Time Baseball).

I got my start with boardgames though, starting with Statis Pro and leading to Strat, Pursue the Pennant and others. The one I miss was Baseball Challenge -- the zone system of hitting and fielding was amazing.

These days I play OOTP, obviously, and MLB 2K10 (for the PC) when I want take the role of a player.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Goodsox
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperlantern View Post
I've been playing OOTP since version 4, and I love it. Out of curiosity, what was everyones first Baseball Video Game addiction? Mine was Baseball Simulator 1.000 for NES. Loved how you could "edit" the stats to reflect what they player would do over 162 game season.
Baseball Simulator 1.000 was awesome!!! I loved playing that game when I was a kid.

Go White Sox!
Goodsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Goodsox
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22plus View Post
I'm only in my teenage years, and as much as i hate to admit it, i'm a Baseball Mogul convert.
Mogul convert as well. Mogul will always hold some great memories for me and brought me into the baseball sim game world. I will always owe finding OOTP to Mogul. I remember seeing a post on the Mogul forums about this game, coming here, and never leaving

Go White Sox!
Goodsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsox View Post
Mogul convert as well. Mogul will always hold some great memories for me and brought me into the baseball sim game world. I will always owe finding OOTP to Mogul. I remember seeing a post on the Mogul forums about this game, coming here, and never leaving
That is exactly what happened to me.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
GEP
Minors (Double A)

Microleague -- recomputed stats after each game and kept league standings in a spiral notebook. I think I even still have the notebook.
GEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
fintach
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsox View Post
I remember seeing a post on the Mogul forums about this game, coming here, and never leaving
Heh. I heard about OOTP in the MLB2K forums.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintach View Post
Heh. I heard about OOTP in the MLB2K forums.
Heard about OOTP from the highheat / simcentral forums.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

pictures worth a 1000 words

of course this isn't even half of it, just the ones I still have in the garage. All started with APBA around the mid 70's, then to strat - on to every possible PC baseball game in the 80's and 90's and into various console games.

OOTP is literally the game I was waiting my whole life for.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah

Last edited by Giants44; 11-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
Afino
Hall Of Famer

I remember a game for the NES. Legends of the Game, maybe?

But you could select and field a team of baseball legends from the 50's and earlier. Cobb, Ruth, Mantle, Jackson, etc. Friends and I used to keep stats and everything. First baseball game I ever religiously played.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Beach23BoyP
Major Leagues

Strat-O-Matic -- 1963
Beach23BoyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I started with Status Pro Baseball. Once I got a computer I got a baseball game, but I can't remember the name. From there it was the various incarnations of Front Page Sports which was my pride and joy until High Heat 2001 came out. I discovered OOTP in '02 and the rest, as they say, is history

I also tried Hardball 5, but it sucked. I also tried Tony LaRussa 3 but thought FPS was better and didn't get into it that much.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 11-18-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Being a teen, my first baseball game was The Show 07, and I played the crap out of that one. I spent maybe 200 or 300 hours playing the franchise mode before I found OOTP.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
pictures worth a 1000 words

All started with APBA around the mid 70's, then to strat - on to every possible PC baseball game in the 80's and 90's and into various console games.
You and I root for different teams, but here we could be twins (not the ones from Minnesota, though) - exactly the same history as me. Those pictures of High Heat bring back especially fond memories . . . until I remember such flaws as, if you played out your games, triples and walks were practically non-existent. Maybe that's why I'm such an OOTP fanboy - I've experienced the evolution of baseball simulation games up to this point, warts and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
OOTP is literally the game I was waiting my whole life for.
Me too. What a great sentiment. Thanks for putting it in words so eloquently.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote