IGNORED

PC Engine Super CD-ROM attachment question

Austin

I know it's less likely for some to be as knowledgeable about this add-on versus a standard, say, Turbo/PC Engine DUO, but I'm hoping someone here can clarify regardless. I have read briefly that Super CD-ROM attachments can be prone to lower sound volumes. What I am curious about is if this is due to capacitor problems, much like typical Turbo DUO systems. If so, then I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult of a fix.

For those that don't know what device I am speaking of, it's this:

pc-engine-super-cd-rom-console-boxed.jpg

• Like 1

The PCE Super CD drive does indeed have bad capacitors in it, just like the PC Engine/Turbo Duo and the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT. Other PCE/TG16 models don't have bad caps, but those three do. Those capacitors will need to be replaced (there's plenty of info about all cap replacements on PC Engine FX forums, if you haven't looked there).

As for the original PC Engine/Turbo CD drive, its main problem is that there's a gear in the drive mechanism which falls apart. Fortunately this can be replaced, several different ways (again PCEFX has the info/gear replacements). They don't have the bad cap problems, though, so I'd think that it's a much less problematic issue... I mean, just replace that gera, and maybe also the laser if that's gone bad as mine did (fortunately you can still get replacements), and you're probably set.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's less likely for some to be as knowledgeable about this add-on versus a standard, say, Turbo/PC Engine DUO, but I'm hoping someone here can clarify regardless. I have read briefly that Super CD-ROM attachments can be prone to lower sound volumes. What I am curious about is if this is due to capacitor problems, much like typical Turbo DUO systems. If so, then I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult of a fix.

For those that don't know what device I am speaking of, it's this:

pc-engine-super-cd-rom-console-boxed.jpg

I have the Super CDROM addon unit. Haven't had cap problems with it. I've heard the audio levels are slightly different than the Duo, but I haven't noticed anything. What I do know, is that this unit (stock) has one of the best lasers of the CD units (though late model Duo R/RX is supposed to be the same). It can read even the crappiest CD-Rs without problems. I've used mine for over 8 years now, with lots of CD-Rs, no problems. Great for trying out games before you buy them, or playing CD homebrew/translations.

• Like 1

I've used mine for over 8 years now, with lots of CD-Rs, no problems. Great for trying out games before you buy them, or playing CD homebrew/translations.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. The last Turbo DUO I had wouldn't read a single CD-R I tried to burn. I don't know if I was simply not burning the discs correctly, or if it was my system.

I ended up picking up a Super CD-ROM attachment after making my original post. The reason I initially posted though was that the seller had stated that the audio levels were lower when the A\V cables were connected to the CD unit than when they were connected to the base console. This reminded me of my low audio issue with my Turbo DUO (which was fixed with a cap kit). I was mostly interested to see if the Super CD-ROM attachment was prone to the same problems as a DUO and would need to be fixed in the same manner, however, I got the system and the audio levels are fine. When the A\V cable is going from the base console it is certainly a tad bit louder, but it's not that big of a difference. Probably just a general quirk with the add-on, I'm guessing.

I will give the CD-R route another shot and see if it works more efficiently with this Super CD-ROM attachment. I'd honestly rather go that route, as my money is typically tied up in other things these days, and many of the great PC Engine CD/Super CD games are pricey, to say the least.

My original US Duo, had problems reading CD-Rs. So did two others (friends units). My original brief case japanese CD setup also had problems reading CD-Rs. I've heard good things about the Duo R/RX models, for reading CD-Rs. I've also heard that if you replace the laser unit in the original Duo units - it'll handle CD-Rs much better. Though I have no experience with that or Duo R/RX models, so take that for what it's worth. But myself and others have had great success with Super CDROM add on unit. Also, the Super CDROM unit is like the Duo units; it doesn't need a system card to operate (has it built in). And you can also use the Arcade Card Duo with the addon, which is cheaper than the Pro card.