Running Win XP versions of IL2

UB_Toast

I have the Ubi Soft CD versions of IL2, Forgotten Battles and Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack that were produced for Win XP only. When I purchaced a new PC with Win 7 64 bit Professional, I couldn't get the games to operate under Win 7.  Anyone know of an update or patch or something to get these up and running under Win 7???  I love this game and would really like to find a way to get it to run. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

They should just work, what happens when you click the FB exe?

What version of FB?

By the way, your avatar is the worst/best ive ever seen! :D

Edited by Furbs
  • Upvote 1

It should work just make sure you do not install it under program files. Create a folder on your C drive called games and install it there.

Yes I agree as well, it should run fine. I am running IL2 1946 on Win 7 64 bit without any issues - it has been a while, but IIRC you will want to make sure and install it as administrator as well, in addition to Bearcat's suggestion. You may even want to try installing in win XP compatibility mode. As mentioned it has been a long while since I installed mine, I know I did something like that but cannot remember exactly what.

Edited by dburnette

What version of FB?

Thanks ....I'll try some of the suggestions and see what happens.  Best/Worst avitar???  I always thought it was pretty bad, but thanks anyway. Ha.

It should work just make sure you do not install it under program files. Create a folder on your C drive called games and install it there.

That sounds like a great idea, will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestion/help.  Happy Trails..........Toast

Yes I agree as well, it should run fine. I am running IL2 1946 on Win 7 64 bit without any issues - it has been a while, but IIRC you will want to make sure and install it as administrator as well, in addition to Bearcat's suggestion. You may even want to try installing in win XP compatibility mode. As mentioned it has been a long while since I installed mine, I know I did something like that but cannot remember exactly what.

Will try the compatibility mode, but will have to try installing outside of "Programs" as suggested by Bearcat.  Appreciate your help........thanks much amigo.   Toast

I got to work on x64 w win 7 w 1946 . I installed outside of program files in it's own folder like bearcat said. But it would freeze. I had to turn off UAC (control panel -> search for UAC or google it) as for some reason it kept popping up to Allow this program to make changes. Also it would get weird blue screen unable to write to memory and the fix was to make sure the acct installed was admin for that pc and installed as admin. And that acct was the one that played the game.

But the best exp was using a high end single 3.8 processor x86 rig w 4 gig ram( xp only sees 3) raptor 15 hdd and powerful nvidia card 1 g on xp 32.

I couldn't get xp 64 to run 1946 no matter what I did.

I have the Ubi Soft CD versions of IL2, Forgotten Battles and Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack that were produced for Win XP only. When I purchaced a new PC with Win 7 64 bit Professional, I couldn't get the games to operate under Win 7.  Anyone know of an update or patch or something to get these up and running under Win 7???  I love this game and would really like to find a way to get it to run. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Maybe it is witchcraft from my part but if my sclerosis serves me well You have to click exe in 1033 folder on installation disc. After install start the game and fly a bit in single mission then close and patch up and repeat procedure after each patch. During install You have to choose merged install and then every patch up has to have letter "m" like 4.08m for example. To get overview of installation horrors read this http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29314&f=29

Any other questions PM me.

I think You have to buy il21946 in order to be up to date. It costs pennies now.

Edited by nynek

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  I tried most of the things suggested and when I crashed my PC and got a blue screen, I figured it was not worth risking my system integrity to try to get this game to run. I'll see if there is a download for the Win 7 version of the game and just purchase it again. Anyone interested in buying a XP version of IL2, Forgotten Battles and Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack????

Ha........thanks again.   Toast

Toast .. just go to Amazon and get the IL2 1946 DVD for under $10. It runs on W7.. I am using W7 now.. IL2 runs on everything from W98 to W8 as far as I know. Just create a folder called Games and install it there.. Like this:

IL2MainW7_zps1bf39a85.jpg

Mind you I have HSFX 6.0 installed .. but the path is the same regardless.

352nd_Wheels

The Good Old Games download version is another good option.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946

I am also confused why it's not working since everyone that I have told to move the sim out of the "Program FIles" folder into a "Games" folder has been able to get it running. It even worked for someone running the very old version of IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles without the Aces Expansion Pack. :blink:

I know it should work on Win7 so hopefully with some more help or a by buying a new version you can get it up and running.

Wheels

you gotta click on administrator in properties and install and then click there servicepack 3 in order to make it work.

What version of FB?

Thanks ....I'll try some of the suggestions and see what happens.  Best/Worst avitar???  I always thought it was pretty bad, but thanks anyway. Ha.

That sounds like a great idea, will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestion/help.  Happy Trails..........Toast

Will try the compatibility mode, but will have to try installing outside of "Programs" as suggested by Bearcat.  Appreciate your help........thanks much amigo.   Toast

I got to work on x64 w win 7 w 1946 . I installed outside of program files in it's own folder like bearcat said. But it would freeze. I had to turn off UAC (control panel -> search for UAC or google it) as for some reason it kept popping up to Allow this program to make changes. Also it would get weird blue screen unable to write to memory and the fix was to make sure the acct installed was admin for that pc and installed as admin. And that acct was the one that played the game. But the best exp was using a high end single 3.8 processor x86 rig w 4 gig ram( xp only sees 3) raptor 15 hdd and powerful nvidia card 1 g on xp 32. I couldn't get xp 64 to run 1946 no matter what I did.

Maybe it is witchcraft from my part but if my sclerosis serves me well You have to click exe in 1033 folder on installation disc. After install start the game and fly a bit in single mission then close and patch up and repeat procedure after each patch. During install You have to choose merged install and then every patch up has to have letter "m" like 4.08m for example. To get overview of installation horrors read this http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29314&f=29

Any other questions PM me.

I think You have to buy il21946 in order to be up to date. It costs pennies now.

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  I tried most of the things suggested and when I crashed my PC and got a blue screen, I figured it was not worth risking my system integrity to try to get this game to run. I'll see if there is a download for the Win 7 version of the game and just purchase it again. Anyone interested in buying a XP version of IL2, Forgotten Battles and Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack????

Ha........thanks again.   Toast

Toast .. just go to Amazon and get the IL2 1946 DVD for under $10. It runs on W7.. I am using W7 now.. IL2 runs on everything from W98 to W8 as far as I know. Just create a folder called Games and install it there.. Like this:

IL2MainW7_zps1bf39a85.jpg

Mind you I have HSFX 6.0 installed .. but the path is the same regardless.

The Good Old Games download version is another good option.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946

I am also confused why it's not working since everyone that I have told to move the sim out of the "Program FIles" folder into a "Games" folder has been able to get it running. It even worked for someone running the very old version of IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles without the Aces Expansion Pack. :blink:

I know it should work on Win7 so hopefully with some more help or a by buying a new version you can get it up and running.

Wheels

you gotta click on administrator in properties and install and then click there servicepack 3 in order to make it work.

Thanks again guys for all the helpful suggestions. As Wheels Up suggested, I went to Good Old Games.com and purchased the 5 IL-2 games in the 1946 Win 7 compatible pack for under $10. (What a deal!) I just downloaded them and the update patches and bonus content and installed the game in a seperate "Games" folder in my C drive.  Havn't tried to play it yet, but so far everything seems to be working OK. Will let you know.  Thanks again.

SUCCESS.........the Win 7 compatible 1946 download intalled in a seperate "Games" folder runs beautifully.  I really appreciate all the help from you all. Well, gotta go.......have a mission to fly and don't want to keep the squadron waiting.  Happy Trails and smooth sails.  THANKS !!

Hi all,

I'm using a separate HD with XP to run my ol' 1946 before too long. I'll be online soon with my MB international Squad team. Praise be! One is from Sussex in the good ol' south of England, and one of the others is from the Union north of England.

We southern boys have no time for the highfalutin shenanigans of our Union brothers.

Our MB brothers from Germany hold special virtues in the name of both dark and white beer. But resist ye all, the tempations and downfall of schnapps.... ;)  

Best Regards,

MB_Avro.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody mentioned that you need to install it by running the a.exe on the disk and not the il2fb.exe when in Vista/7?    Or was he past this point?   Once you've install the base game it's just a case of patching it as normal.  You could d/l and run the bigmegasuperpatch thing by SAS which will not only upgrade the stock game but install all the bits needed for HSFX and the JSGME.

'46 runs perfectly well on W7 there's no requirement for compatibility mode at all, which is just a VM anyway.

Those guys on decent enough rigs still running dated '46 let down COD completely by not converting imo.  It has content but it's had it's day.

Edited by Osprey

"Those guys on decent enough rigs still running dated '46 let down COD completely by not converting imo."

Well, I guess you did say "imo" (which is Japanese for 'potato', in case you wondering) but really I don't think it fair to say that. People can play whatever they like playing. We're talking about games after all. None of us are obligated to buy game X,Y, or Z.

Personally I bought a copy of CoD on preorder the instant I could despite not having a machine good enough to run it. I'm sure others would have, too. 

Anyway, the game is being modded now (I believe) so there's still hope for its continued development, albeit in a different form.

Also imho (does that mean potatoes?) ;) if you haven't got a rig decent enough to run COD on then you should consider getting a PS3 for your gaming needs instead.  What you need to play COD with is not new expensive kit, it never really was since moderate kit would work (but not max'd out) but it was never the old rigs which run '46 fine.

Long live COD imo

• 5 years later...

10. Discussion of counterfeit software and links to download counterfeit software and discussion on methods to break copy protection, creation of registration keys and other illegal ways to bypass the security software is prohibited.
Violations of this rule will result in the following

First offense - 30 days of the ban on entry

Edited by SYN_Haashashin