• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving CS5 from old iMac (2010) to new iMac 2019.

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving CS5 from old iMac (2010) to new iMac (2019). I posted a similar question recently. Is it possible to move the installed software in old iMac to new iMac since the new computer doesn't have a CD slot for reading/writing from my CS5 disk? Can Migration Assistant cherry pick one application and transfer it over to the other iMac's application folder? Will I need to register the software with Adobe for the new iMac? 

if it doesn't work then I'll break down and buy the subscription, but thought I'd try to get a bit more mileage out of my CS5 since I'm retiring from photography in just another year and won't use it  as much after that.

Thsnks for any help in this regard.

Ray

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is a 32bit program. I don't think it will work on a recent OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't bother with cs5 on your new iMac for two main reasons that are if your mac shipped with macOS Mojave, cs5 applications do not work well and you won't be able to upgrade to the just released macOS Catalina, which doesn't run any 32 bit software, so even though most of the parent cs5 applications are 64 bit, the other components like updater, installer/unistaller, etc are 32 bit and will prevent cs5 from working on macOS Catalina. If your mac shipped with macOS Catalina then cs5 won't even install. Your best option is the Creative Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. Well, according to the user below, it can work. Not sure how successful this might be if I continue using Mojave for the next year but I’m willing to give it a go. Question is whether I can move the application over to the new iMac using Migration Assistant or if I need to contact Adobe to help with the download. I’m not sure they have it available for download to registered owners who want to install it on a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this exact iMac migration and wasn't expecting cs5 to be licensed on the new iMac but to my surprise it moved over and was basically usable. If I clicked in "file info" the program immediately crashed but otherwise it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to do a fresh install rather than migration and yes adobe support can provide the cs5 download link.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html

Also you need to follow the directions here under Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4 to install on Mojave.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

And you might need to do this for the best results with cs5.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Jeff. I called up Adobe support, and fortunately I got a very helpful techie who was able to install my copy of CS5. He spent a good 30-40 minutes getting things loaded and sorted out. I felt incredibly grateful for his efforts and told him so. So, in the end he managed to get CS5 working fine as far as PS goes, however, Bridge isn't allowing me to open up any RAW CR2 files, but Photoshop seems fine opening jpg's, tif's, etc. When I called back a half hour later I spoke to someone who really wasn't to keen on assisting me in fixing the glitch with Bridge. She suggested I just buy a subscription, but then offered a link for DNG Converter which I'd rather not use if I'm able to fix the glitch with Bridge. She stated the Canon 5D Mark III uses Camera Raw 7, and that CS5 only supports Camera Raw 6.0. If that's the case I'm not sure how I've managed to use both Bridge and PS for over 5 years on my old iMac. Any thoughts on resolving my Bridge issue? Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install a newer adobe application manager and then try Help>Updates from within photoshop, which should get you camera raw 6.7 for your camera and several other cs5 updates.

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4774

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff. Sorry for my delayed response. I wanted to document as many issues as possible prior to reaching out again. I did manage to successfully download Camera Raw 6.7 which has been working fine; allowing me to see thumbnails of my RAW CR2 files in Bridge... however, Photoshop is crashing constantly when using certain tools ie: Gradient, Pen, Text, Rectangular marquee, Crop, Pen and Zoom tools. It crashes immediately upon clicking on one of those tools. I'm also limited to certain windows displayed on the right. At the moment there's only three windows popping up by default: Adjustments, Color, Layers. If I try to add History it crashes right away. As mentioned in a previous post the copy Adobe installed on my new iMac is CS5 (12.0.4), whereas, my old iMac has CS5.1 (12.1). Not sure if you know how or if I can get the same version updated on the new computer, but I'm hoping if that's possible, then maybe that would solve all my issues. Of course the old iMac (2010) is still running on Sierra (the highest I can go). My new iMac will remain on Mojave as long as possible for the benefit of running CS5.1, if it's able to download fully. Thank you kindly once again for your support! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, unfortunately, I'm one step closer to giving up on this. I tried the update downloads to no avail. A pop up window displays a message reading: "AdobePatchinstaller.app" can't be opened. You should eject the disk image. 

I can't believe it's not possible to make this work somehow, but my computer skills are so very limited. I sincerely appreciate all your help, but it looks like I'll have to cave in and get a subscription if I can't get this resolved over the weekend. Admittedly, it's rather discouraging...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When installing the 12.1.1 update follow the directions here under Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a try over the next day or so. BTW, FWIW, here's a snapshot of my applications page in case there's something here that looks amiss. Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 11.04.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like you have photoshop CS5 and not photoshop CS5.1 installed so the 12.1.1 updater most likely won't work.

Here is what the photoshop CS5.1 application folder looks like minus the mxi extensions.

1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines