Namco System 246 Documentation Project

defor

Geese's Thug
If the 256 has an EXCARD PCB installed (ports for connecting to the card reader and other jazz, left of the ethernet port) make sure it's seated well- I ordered some excards for both of my 256's, and one was having crashes about 2-5 minutes in consistently, but wouldn't crash on attract mode... I ended up unseating the card totally, cleaning the contacts, then putting it back in- everything's rock solid now.

other thing to try if there's no EXCARD- burn a copy of the disc and play using that.

Lol, apparently I hadn't refreshed the thread to see subbie's response, but yes to the above :D

defor

Geese's Thug
I know most people don't care about how the games look when not being played, but whatever... I decided to finally get around to making case art for all games in the my collection (even if most are still just spine text - I need more flyers that have good quality artwork):
5510493410_fbb76ea4e2_z.jpg

I'm very happy how these turned out:
5510501802_86ffb2861e_z.jpg

5510505572_de1ce55e0e_z.jpg

fully complete at the moment:
NM00013-J.ai (Zeta Gundam)
NM00027-U.ai (Super DBZ USA release)
NM00034-J.ai (Gundam ZAFT 2)
NM00038-J.ai (Taiko 9)
NM00042-J.ai (Basara X)
NM00043-J.ai (Gundam vs. Gundam)
NM00044-J.ai (Taiko 11)
NM00052-J.ai (Gundam Next)

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
GvG turned out pretty well. Sad destiny there isn't a better shot.

God I need to get off my ass and get going on mine. I have a solid idea for Dragon Ball Z but i've been busy with other stuff.

-Edit-
Oh for shits and giggles. Your friendly 2x6 nerd turned 28 today. =P

defor

Geese's Thug
well happy birthday- what are you thinking for dbz? i've got the proper cover art for the us and jp variants, but only art for the back from the us version... I'm trying to keep my art usage as accurate as i can to the flyers as in most cases, they're different than the retail versions.

beefy had me make a few customs for him using retail art (sc2, capcom fighting jam, tekken 4) and the came out i think fine, i dunno...

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
what are you thinking for dbz?

I was thinking of taking the JPN marque left side with the logo and goku. Taking the border from the the left side and duplicating it on the right. Doing the back in a way simular to your gundam ones but in the blank space at the bottom of the box putting in a a clean version of the game's logo. Maybe a few other things as well to take use of the empty space at the bottom of the box on the back.

-edit-
I also want to (in general) try a long box version of the games (like if the boxes where long wise horizontal then vertical). With the front being made to use the game's marquee and the back being a collection of the move sheet papers.

So like if you where playing or had it running on a tv you could open the box like a tepee with the front acting like a mini marquee.

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Those are great, defor. Really impressive what you've done with them.

Not to thiefs your thunder, but I had a quick tech supporty question.

So I have two non-working 246Bs (I mentioned them previously) and I really got to playing around with them last night. The first one will boot to a completely green screen that says, "START PROGRAM..." in really badly formed letters. Corrupt... everything, I guess...

The second one will actually boot the game (I can hear the audio 100%, hit buttons, etc) but the signal will NOT sync on a true-31k monitor and causes my trisync to just keep flipping video modes. Bad sync signal?

defor

Geese's Thug
I was thinking of taking the JPN marque left side with the logo and goku. Taking the border from the the left side and duplicating it on the right. Doing the back in a way simular to your gundam ones but in the blank space at the bottom of the box putting in a a clean version of the game's logo. Maybe a few other things as well to take use of the empty space at the bottom of the box on the back.

-edit-
I also want to (in general) try a long box version of the games (like if the boxes where long wise horizontal then vertical). With the front being made to use the game's marquee and the back being a collection of the move sheet papers.

So like if you where playing or had it running on a tv you could open the box like a tepee with the front acting like a mini marquee.

ah yes- interesting idea - i remember now you had mentioned that idea- i might give that a shot too- been thinking somewhat of NON-PS2 looking case artworks as well...

here's the completed USA DBZ box btw since i think i hadn't shown it:
5512877558_b71cf38d1c_z.jpg

defor

Geese's Thug
So I have two non-working 246Bs (I mentioned them previously) and I really got to playing around with them last night. The first one will boot to a completely green screen that says, "START PROGRAM..." in really badly formed letters. Corrupt... everything, I guess...

The second one will actually boot the game (I can hear the audio 100%, hit buttons, etc) but the signal will NOT sync on a true-31k monitor and causes my trisync to just keep flipping video modes. Bad sync signal?

hm.. the first sounds like a disc/dongle read issue of some sort... if you've got a full working 246b you might want to try swapping parts with it to see if you can find the flaky bit...
the second - dunno- i'd first doublecheck the milti-av cable between the sony and namco boards...also check for damage/ corrosion - might be some signal bleed on the sony encoder or somehting else... I'd be more than happy to look at it, and/or send you some parts- I do have a fully working spare 246 assembly with only the bottom tray (no outer case)

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
It can't be the dongle itself - I used the DVD drive, DVD and Dongle in the 246b that I play Fate on without issue.

The contacts are clean, but I did notice that the board in the one that boots-with-no-video is really loose....?? Weird.

The other one just seems effed up. :(

I did try disconnecting/reconnecting the plug at the back left. It was clean, but no improvement. Also tried disconnecting the fan just in case the fan was sucking too much current.... that's a longshot, but I tried it anyway. No improvement.

The only thing I haven't tried is adjusting the voltage on my Sun PSU. It works flawlessly with the 246b with Fate in it (even with Fate swapped for Basara Cross/SC3, etc).

I might try to get that 246b off you when I get some spare cash. Really kinda bummed I don't have a "hot standby" 246b with a DVD drive.

defor

Geese's Thug
Been playing with gundam zeta DX
finally managed to modify files on the iso...

the secret is that you need to keep the lba the same (just like ps2 game editing), but very few iso tools for ps2 will work as there's no boot info on 246/256 games

I'm still working on the text, but now i have a fully dubbed Zeta DX (yay for crappy voice work, but it's at least more playable for people not knowing exatly what's going on).. might be able to pull off a fully USA localized version if i keep at it and track down how it handles text.

the PS2 release of DX is the "Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam" ... there was at least a us release of this, but none for non-DX

another interesting thing is that there's a number of graphics files from Fed vs. Zeon DX in the 246 version of Zeta (non-dx).. I'm curious if the PS2 port of FvZDX was the basis for Zeta 246...

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Been playing with gundam zeta DX
finally managed to modify files on the iso...

the secret is that you need to keep the lba the same (just like ps2 game editing), but very few iso tools for ps2 will work as there's no boot info on 246/256 games

I'm still working on the text, but now i have a fully dubbed Zeta DX (yay for crappy voice work, but it's at least more playable for people not knowing exatly what's going on).. might be able to pull off a fully USA localized version if i keep at it and track down how it handles text.

the PS2 release of DX is the "Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam" ... there was at least a us release of this, but none for non-DX

another interesting thing is that there's a number of graphics files from Fed vs. Zeon DX in the 246 version of Zeta (non-dx).. I'm curious if the PS2 port of FvZDX was the basis for Zeta 246...

Neat, Also possible the PS2 port was the basis. The early games seem to share a lot of crap. I don't own GvZ PS2 but I do have FvZ DX PS2 if you need an image of it.

defor

Geese's Thug
nah its cool, but if i can pull off a good reverse port of the translation, I may look into seeing if a release of FvZ on 246 is possible.. already have everything i need for that.

not so upset that there's been no us port of SEED/SEED2, but a little disappointed there's been no us port of GvG...

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
nah its cool, but if i can pull off a good reverse port of the translation, I may look into seeing if a release of FvZ on 246 is possible.. already have everything i need for that.

not so upset that there's been no us port of SEED/SEED2, but a little disappointed there's been no us port of GvG...

I think that happen since PSP games don't sell well here and the PS2 ports where not well received in the USA. Many reviews paint them as being really bad games. :very_ang:

BeefyWhale

Rugal's Thug
Hey guys is there any reason that a 256 would play a 246 game fast? Such as the sound and game play running too quickly.

defor

Geese's Thug
Make sure your mode jumper is set to 246+ mode- a few OLD games like gundam zeta do that. The jumper is accessed by removing the outer case then look at the motherboard right next to the ribbon cable plug.

Games made after the 256 came out usually fail to boot or show a mode error screen.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Beefs was having that issue with Capcom Fighting Jam - just FYI if you want to update subbie's cheat sheet.

BeefyWhale

Rugal's Thug
Thanks for the update. switching the dip switch worked like a charm. Also the light scribe drive from my 246 works perfect on the 256 no lock up errors at all. So for a whole 150 shipped i received a full 256 kit with Tekken 5.1 "US" version. Not too bad.

defor

Geese's Thug
Nice price, aww wish it was a JP one :(

bug me about that transaction for stuff we were talking about.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks for the update. switching the dip switch worked like a charm. Also the light scribe drive from my 246 works perfect on the 256 no lock up errors at all. So for a whole 150 shipped i received a full 256 kit with Tekken 5.1 "US" version. Not too bad.

that price is a total steal. How did you manage that one?

Also if you want a small trick. Get some old PC wire parts (that connect the front case lights/buttons to the motherboard, find one that is 3 prong and wire it up to a switch. I did this to my 256 so I can easily switch from 246+ to 256 mode with out opening the case.

BeefyWhale

Rugal's Thug
that price is a total steal. How did you manage that one?

Also if you want a small trick. Get some old PC wire parts (that connect the front case lights/buttons to the motherboard, find one that is 3 prong and wire it up to a switch. I did this to my 256 so I can easily switch from 246+ to 256 mode with out opening the case.

I found a guy on klov that said his 256 kept freezing on tekken 5 when he played. Hence the 150 price. I threw in a new dvd drive and off i went. I will have to look into the switch like you said subbie.

Keith Elliott

War Room Troll
What's the correct method to burn a new disc from a mame chd file? I picked up a 246 and a 256 the other day both with missing discs. The 246 has Tekken 4 and the 256 has Tekken 5.1. I just need some discs for them. I have made flash drives from chd files just not and dvd/cds. Any help would be great.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
What's the correct method to burn a new disc from a mame chd file? I picked up a 246 and a 256 the other day both with missing discs. The 246 has Tekken 4 and the 256 has Tekken 5.1. I just need some discs for them. I have made flash drives from chd files just not and dvd/cds. Any help would be great.

http://guru.mameworld.info/tutorials/dumping_cds_&_hdds/index.html
chdman -extractcd image.chd image.iso
Any Iso burn tool will work from there.

-edit-
On tekken be careful. If it's a USA 5.1, you need the USA ISO or T5 ISO. If it's a JPN dongle you need the JPN ISO.
Good chances it's the USA one and you simply just need a USA ISO. How to tell? Just make sure it's an image for TE52 DVD0B, Japan is TE51 DVD0B.

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
http://guru.mameworld.info/tutorials/dumping_cds_&_hdds/index.html
chdman -extractcd image.chd image.iso
Any Iso burn tool will work from there.

-edit-
On tekken be careful. If it's a USA 5.1, you need the USA ISO or T5 ISO. If it's a JPN dongle you need the JPN ISO.
Good chances it's the USA one and you simply just need a USA ISO. How to tell? Just make sure it's an image for TE52 DVD0B, Japan is TE51 DVD0B.

Really? I didn't think there was any difference between discs. Interesting!

99% of the stuff I've burned only has one disc... Basara X, Gundam SEED vs ZAFT, SC3, SC2, Tekken 4, etc.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Really? I didn't think there was any difference between discs. Interesting!

99% of the stuff I've burned only has one disc... Basara X, Gundam SEED vs ZAFT, SC3, SC2, Tekken 4, etc.

Yeah, I only know this since at one time I had all 3. I still currently have a USA T5 Dongle w/ Tekken 5 DVD & JPN T5.1 Dongle w/ Tekken 5.1 DVD. While T5.1 JPN dongle will boot the T5 disc (Since it's the same disc for USA/Japan), A JPN 5.1 dongle will not boot the USA 5.1 disc and vice versa.

Here's an old shot I posted here on the forum of all 3 versions.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1590/dsc0002mz.jpg

Main difference between the USA & JPN version is JPN has support for Tekken.net & USA seems to have all characters unlocked by default where JPN only has a few.

Also any Tekken 5 dongle can run 5.1, While there are rev B dongles out there, when used with a 5.1 DVD it sets the version to C3.