Phase 01: DANRM75Y
Phase 02: YFDANRMK
Phase 03: JHAD4JK3
Phase 04: 8AXMYKAF
Phase MAX: F6GF2RYT

Code:
GVS1, Ver.A:
Published passwords:
Phase 01: NAHDTR5N (Route selection update)
Phase 02: LP1IXCNZ (Hard course update)
Phase 03: ZSAWYGLS (Ultimate course update)
Phase 04: OFUF6JSE (Timeattack course update)
Phase 05: MZPQTSWC (Another course and Extra stage update)
Phase MAX: PL9ARUGX (Gundam ExIa update)

Code:
GNX1001-NA-A:
Published passwords:
Phase-01: JGFBD2KX (Course E, Strike Freedom Gundam, Double X Gundam (CPU), Zanneck (CPU))
Phase-02: ME6CYWBF (Course F, Gundam Double X, Gundam MKII (Titans version) (CPU), Shining Gundam (CPU), New VS Mode map)
Phase-03: CMKGB39D (Shinning Gundam, Gundam MKII (Titans version))
Phase-04: FJZAKULA (Course G, Gundam EZ-8 (CPU), Qubeley Gundam Mk-II (Ple version) (CPU))
Phase-05: NPHGYB5Z (Gundam EZ-8, Qubeley Gundam MKII (Ple version))
Phase-06: NGSHBEMV (Course H, Unicorn Gundam (CPU))
Phase-MAX: GZ73FPMG (Unicorn Gundam)

Last edited:

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
=( If only my 256 wasn't sitting in a box right now (moving on friday).

Hey defor,
Quick question. Do you know if doing just the last Phase password unlocks all the ones before it?

defor

Geese's Thug
Yep- tested them and Phase-MAX unlocks the earlier ones.

I totally need translations of these damn routes and stuff.. gah!!!

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Ask on Assmebler in the jpn section. GP or Yak would probably be willing to translate.

defor

Geese's Thug
Text waterfall ahead! watch out!-

246A is a non-cost-reduced 246B/C

the ram expansion is 32MB, but there's 16MB onboard as well, 1 free slot, and what appears to be a slot similar to the 256's IO slot.

All of this is on the namco board.

The PS2 board is COH-H30000, an older version of the one we see in MOST 246B's. this IS the one we saw in a YJ auction as a 246B with a small heatsink (I'm going to refer to it as 246B1 in technical discussion until we have more info, but otherwise should be considered a B):
banban3banban3-img600x450-1289029185gqc15m36654.jpg

An interesting difference is that the power is supplied via a power socket on the top of the main board, NOT the push-through connection as seen in the GH-006 design.

I have a feeling that the 246B1 also uses a different namco board than a normal 246B as well, as the power is quite obviously seen being supplied via cable, not pin-through.

The sony board is actually a stack of 2 boards- I haven't been unable to separate them yet (can't get to the clip)- the interconnect is power-pin push-through like before, and the top board is very small- perhaps a regulator of some sort- I'll investigate later.

As usual the sony board is missing the digital video encoder.

The jamma interface AND the JVS interface operate independently and socket directly into the namco board. there is a power cable distribution system still.

the JVS IO has a 6-pin power plug on it (but only 5V is connected)- this is not used to power the system, but rather, by use of an external loopback, provide the JVS pcb with the 5V it needs to operate from the JAMMA interface.

the proper power plug on the JVS side of things is a 4-pin version of the same plug used on 246B-256... the wiring is: 12v, 5v, Gnd, Gnd- as such, it's easy to shift the 5v pin on the minimal cables I made between the 12 and Gnd, to get the system powered.

If the jamma board is connected to the JVS board by way of that external cable, shadowing appears- DON'T DO THIS.

Compatibility-
The 246A ships with a Teac CD-ROM drive. This drive will boot Bloody Roar 3, and presumably Vampire Night, RRV, and Wangan Midnight.

Putting in a DVD-ROM that works on a 246B+ will allow other games to work fine as well.

31khz works fine (with the same DIP configuration as seen on all other versions)

Basically, all 246A/B1/B/C have the same compatibility. the only differences appear to be in drive support.

Potentially, a 246A could be configured with a LOT more memory onboard by use of the ram expansion, but it's unlikely any game was ever made or tested to use this configuration.

The unused expansion board IO is unique to the 246, but it's possible that this platform was used for prototyping 256games/hardware- or some of the features of the 256 may have at least been in mind during its design.

Vampire Night-
The Vampire Night chassis is IDENTICAL in every way with the exception that the JAMMA IO board is not present. in its place is a metal filler plate.

IO for Vampire Night is handled via an external interface board as seen on the schematics in the manual (Listed as USB, BUT shows connection to the JVS port)

Bloody Roar 3-
Bloody Roar 3 is NOT drive dependent, but, like Tekken 4, is picky.
The LG DVD-ROM when used in the 246A will allow it to boot, and either the LG DVD-ROM or the Teac CD-ROM in the 246B will let it boot.
A non-compatible drive (Tekken 4 non-boot) appears to hang at the message:
[ SETUP CD LOCATION FILE ]

On a good boot, this message is followed by debug info about the copying of files to memory.

Interestingly, regardless of drive used on a 256, the game boots to this same message, then hangs.

ERGO:
System 256 is more than likely 100% compatible with all 246 games in theory. BUT, if the games use an ATAPI-specific command set, the will not boot, and instead hang right after the dongle completes its primary boot and prepares for disc access.

I feel that on this basis, tranfer of media to HDD/Flash Card would be possible, but the same games would retain incompatibility.

Bloody Roar 3 is 15khz only, but does support PS2 AND PS1 controllers.
I'm going to need to retest SC2 and see if it supports PS1 controllers as well.. My tekken 4 stick was instantly recognized and functional in BR3 at least, and this was very PRE-PS2.

EDIT:
One more thing-
Anyone else have a Bloody Roar 3 chassis- anyone?
Mine has some rework done to the Jamma pcb to connect Button 5 to the traces for Button 4. I'm curious if this came from Namco, Hudson, or some previous operator.

Last edited:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Defor showed me a codes list that had a couple of 256 games on i just got, we put them through google translate for what good it did then i figured them out from there and i've confirmed they work.

Super Dragon Ball Z - Unlock Chi Chi & Android 17

Go into Test and then into Game Options, once there do the following:

A Button = Button 1

Up 3 times - A 5 times - Down 7 times - A 6 times - Up 6 times- A 2 times.

It should come up that both characters have been released.

Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix

Buttons A,B, C & are Buttons 1, 2, 3 & 4 on your CP.

Go into Test then into Game options and do the following:

To unlock Benkiman ( you really need to do this lol )

B Once - Down Once - A 2 times - Down once - B 4 times - Down Once - C 3 times - Down Once - A 3 times - Down once - A 4 times - Down Once - A Once - Down Once - B 4 times - Down 2 times.

It should show BENKIMAN RELEASED.

Akuma Shogun

A Once - Down 2 times - C 3 times - Down 2 times - A 6 times - Up 2 times - A 4 times - up 3 times - A once - down 4 times - C 5 times - up 3 times - D 2 times - down 2 times - C 4 times - Up 2 times - C 2 times - Down 4 times - A 6 times - Up 2 times - B 4 times - Down 5 times.

It should show AKUMA SHOGUN RELEASED.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Awesome work, defor.

Also - that PS2 thing I mentioned to you works a lot better than the other thing we were doing... Same amount of wiring, but soldering the leads to the memory card after removing the flash is annoying.....

defor

Geese's Thug
Some pictures of the guts of a 246A:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defor/sets/72157625413385987/

Also, my mistake- there's 2 ram slots, and a rom slot.
too bad there probably were no rom cards ever made.. would be interesting to have one to use as a reference...

I might try this without the ram card later on and see if the caching is adaptive or needs a minimum amount.

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
That is a 246A?

Weird. I thought I had a 246A. Mine doesn't have a JAMMA edge on it, though and the VGA ports are horizontal.

defor

Geese's Thug
As it stands now, there are officially 4 distinct entries in the Namco System 2X6 family tree:
246A
246B
246C

If you break this down into a more detailed analysis by order of release and formfactor, you'll find:
246A Driving
246A
246B
246C
Super 256

Now if we look at individual components, we have:
246A Driving (RRV/Wangan Midnight)
246A JVS (Vampire Night)
246A JAMMA/JVS (Bloody Roar 3)
246BA (Unknown but uses 246A components in a 246B chassis)
246B
246C
Super 256

Below's a general photo of what each version we know of so far looks like:

246A Driving (RRV/Wangan Midnight):
!B8i0jVw!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!hUEyrsppfOHBM3(B3mKqg~~_3.JPG

246A JVS (Vampire Night):
vampirenightspcb.jpg

246A JAMMA/JVS (Bloody Roar 3):
5237192856_de9cb4e485_z.jpg

246B:
4974275277_97f8db7678_z.jpg

246BA (Unknown but uses 246A components in a 246B chassis) - listed afterwards as it uses the B chassis as seen above and is indistinguishable without seeing the inside:
banban3banban3-img600x450-1289029185gqc15m36654.jpg

246C:
246_revb_a.jpg

256:
rdxtq212-img600x450-1286549316hvrakx17075.jpg

Super 256:
tc4_main.jpg

There's obviously some confusion, given that the opening posts to this thread had labeled a bunch of the chassis.. very strangely...

Disclaimer: Pictures are stolen from everywhere, so if anyone has an issue with it, deal with it.

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Ah, geez. I've had a 246B this whole time? Looks identical to the picture you listed.

I guess the existing knowledge of this very old system was yet again incorrect. :\

defor

Geese's Thug
To continue the photo documentation, JAMMA support has been provided by 2 official methods:

Onboard JAMMA (246A JAMMA/JVS)
External QUASI-JVS to JAMMA (246B->256)

There are so far 4 distinct board styles I've identified between these:

JAMMA PCB (J01):
5236392349_c0e78bda40_z.jpg

JAMMA(B) PCB (J01):
5236978314_a2795fa952_z.jpg

JAMMA(B) PCB (J01B):
5236385073_3120b97236_z.jpg

JAMMA(B) PCB (J01B Late Model):
5236386093_6eb8b6c75a_z.jpg

Yes, there are differences- Also, interesting to note is that even in the internal board, all examples of J01 are upgraded logic (as indicated by the red dot next to the version on the sticker).
This logic only applies to the QUASI-JVS ribbon cable interface for controls only.
Audio and video are independant.

All mid-era boards appear to be J01B logic, and introduce a hex inverter on the video sync lines to make up for the inverted PS2 vide sync that plays havoc with some displays. (I'd personally recommend this or later version due to this important update)

I'm unsure of any major changes on the late-model external board, except in the pcb mask, but this board was provided with a 256 (its serial number is very high- I have a second one that came with my other 256, #24245)

Let's put it this way- there's a LOT of 2X6 systems out there.

Last edited:

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Sweet work defor but I have bit of news for you. You're missing out on a 256 =P

There is 2 variations of the 256. 1st run then 2nd run which uses led free solder. You can tell which version you have by looking into the memory card ports and seeing if it has the text "Pb free" on it. :tickled:

-Few Misc things-
1) SC2 is PS1 pad compatible. Both revision A & B.
2) Still confused over Tekken 4. People claim it should be compatible but I never could get it to work with a PS2 pad.
3) Regarding 246 games not compatible with 256. It really does seem limited to really early games. The games run but as noted in the compatibility list the game will hang during the loading command. I wonder if there is a way to fix this (either hacking the 256 bios or the processor that deals with the Disc/HDD interface). I'm curious if these games have problems on 246 C units.
4) We need to get our hands on a 246 HDD game. There is a chance early 246 models are not compatible with HDD. This is based of a comment regarding BG3 for sale. Videotroniq says it works on B revisions but not earlier ones.

Wang of Thor,
Sweet unlock info. Will have to check both out tonight!! =D

Everybody,
=) I've got some cool things coming my way later this year that I will get to share with everybody.
1) I have a Drive 246 & Ridge Racer V waiting for me in japan
2) I've got my hands on Baseball rev C set. I'll be able to check out what is different between it and B

Last edited:

defor

Geese's Thug
There is 2 variations of the 256. 1st run then 2nd run which uses led free solder. You can tell which version you have by looking into the memory card ports and seeing if it has the text "Pb free" on it. :tickled:

Any chance we can get some photos of this?
I'll check my 256's tonight and see what they are...

Also, I'm really curious to see the Namco board of a Driving 246A...
The pics I have of the back of the board (not great quality) look like it's almost the same as the normal 246A, but without the rom slot. Also, offhand, it looks like the jvs interfaces are part of the namco board, as seen again in the B and later- perhaps the driving pcb is based on an intermediate stage between A and B style Namco boards...

Another thing to note about the 246A - I should take a photo of this- the entire drive sled is on anti-vibration cushions with a pretty sizable range of motion. Once again, yay namco cost reductions in later models :D

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Any chance we can get some photos of this?
I'll check my 256's tonight and see what they are...
There should be pictures out there. --rm--

-edit-
I removed something from my post. I though guru had something on the 2nd 256 but doesn't from what I see.

Also, I'm really curious to see the Namco board of a Driving 246A...
The pics I have of the back of the board (not great quality) look like it's almost the same as the normal 246A, but without the rom slot. Also, offhand, it looks like the jvs interfaces are part of the namco board, as seen again in the B and later- perhaps the driving pcb is based on an intermediate stage between A and B style Namco boards...
It's funny when the first thing I want to do when I get this thing is tear it apart and see it's naughty bits. :tickled:

Second is see if it can work with out the drive pcb. Like will it let me just use a stock JVS and analog pins (probably not but worth a shot).

Last edited:

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Hey Wang of Thor,

Can you recheck your Kinnikuman cheat codes?
BENKIMAN code worked but Akuma Shogun wouldn't (and i tried 4 times).

Also awesome job with the DBZ codes, it worked like a charm. My wife even saw me playing last night and kicked me off so she could play a few rounds. =P

defor

Geese's Thug
if you're interested- this is where I found the codes and sent over to him to try out...
there's some decent unlocks in here for other stuff too- google translate chokes on a lot however, so get ready to "interpret" some interesting things for the non-password games:

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/a_model/pc/videogame.txt

I suggested that Wang see if he could rewirite what he found in a little better english and post it up :D
I'm still working on better documentation for the gundam ones- I've actually seen a distance shot of one of the sheets off GvGN on some site.. wasn't usable to transcribe from, but the code explanations look like the faxed sheet that came with my zeta...

also:
game_labo_side7-img600x450-1283767289zm4krz60417.jpg

check the box under the system. :D

Last edited:

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Ooo. A Gundam Seed box from capcom. :mr_t:

Thanks for the link. Will have to check if there is codes for Yu Yu in there.

sammaz

Quiz Detective
just saw this thread...I owned a Tekken 4 v.D cabinet for about a year.

I got it at auction. When they turned it on at the auction there was no DVD in the drive so the system just hanged there. I got it for 100 bucks and found that the DVD for Tekken 4 was missing. I went to "Orange County Games" and te tech there handed me a Tekken 4 original disc. I used my mac laptop and Toast to create an .iso of the disc. I burned that .iso to Verbatim DVD-R and WALA! Tekken 4 works perfectly from DVD-R.:multi_co:

Sold the cab for 500.00 about a year later.

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
So I've been hacking away at this awesome copy of Gundam Seed vs Zaft I found somewhere.... :)

Card reader set-up is completely not working. When I try to connect the reader to my laptop, I just get repetitive ehci_hcd reset high speed device, blah blah after it shows me "[sdb] READ CAPACITY failed. Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT"

So I dropped down to the uhci driver (older driver with slower speed USB support might've helped? I dunno, sounded good at the time). Same issue.

Here's my hypothesis type stuff, speculate as you will -
Connecting power to the 4 and 5 pins of the dongle just continuously causes resets.
The "Mode" sometimes appears with "random" numbers when my laptop tries to ready the device.
My guess is that the rest of the electronics on the dongle is causing some interference. That's the only way I can explain the "random" modes. This could explain my hit-or-miss reads encountered before. I think you may need to remove the NAND Flash from the dongle completely before trying to actually use it.

defor

Geese's Thug
heh zaft was one of my test cards.. (not the one I sent you) so you're probably hitting the same wall i was.

I got the 8MB capacity, but nothing else...

Oh- if anyone needs the namco jamma ribbon io cable (the one that goes to the port on the side of B/C/256) - and doesnt want to crimp one specifically- Macintosh floppy drive cables from the 90's are the same pincount and work well.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Yep. Not sure what the issue is here, but it sure isn't working..... :(

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Still messing with this ZAFT card.

I switched over to the SmartMedia side like in that uC hobby guy's post. Exact same behavior.... wth..
I'll randomly get stuff shown for "Mode detect" like "2e 2e 2f 2e" which would be '../.'
No idea what that means.

I'm still going to assume that maybe when I apply power to the NAND Flash, it's also powering other components like the damned MG ASIC. There was a post on the Ubuntu forums about UHCI doing funny stuff and someone mentioned it will fail the capacity check if it's not a power of 2 - so maybe I'm getting garbage during the capacity check.. ?? That would have to be interference from lead length, noisey/bridged/swapped IO lines or possibly the MG ASIC is trying to do something...??

On another note, the uC guy says that there's a switch for 3 or 5V operation, but it seems to only perform presence detect on my reader. No power is applied to the socket until the switch is depressed.

Here's the example output from uhci -

sd 44:0:0:0: [sdb] READ CAPACITY failed
sd 44:0:0:0: [sdb] Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
sd 44:0:0:0: [sdb] Sense not available.
sd 44:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 44:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 2e 2e 2f 2e

idc

Banned
Just out of interest, is it possible to use regular PS2 Memory cards as the "save" card for games such as SC2 or SC3?